One Foot in Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Foot in Heaven Reviews

March 28, 2015
good family yarn like 'I remember mama" or 'the magnificent Ambersons'
October 27, 2014
This movie shows true humanity of pastors. Love it!
February 22, 2014
The underrated Fredric March gives a wonderful performance in this religious picture. It balances comedy and drama very well, offering laughs and wonderful dramatic moments. A nice little movie that's sure to make you smile.
December 23, 2013
An outdated if charming piece on the life of a Canadian doctor in training who decides to become a Minister and drags his family across the western U.S. to attend to the faithful. He gets into many battles and seems un-Minister like when he talks about wanting to give people a good thrashing. Nonetheless, this is a passable drama.
½ October 28, 2012
OK, this is a beautifully acted film (Fredric March was incapable of less than a superb performance) about a man who gives up everything to be a good minister. Fine direction by Irving Rapper, wonderful Max Steiner score. The ending is terribly moving. But....SPOILERS: Near the climax, Spence's son is kicked out of school due to a false accusation that he got a girl pregnant. To his credit, his dad believes his son, contacts the girl and gets the truth, then tracks down the rich gossip in his congregation who falsely accused his son. But instead of clearing his son's name, he blackmails her into donating the mighty church he's been trying throughout the movie to get built. He even tells the son his reputation isn't as important as this. And the script (by Casey Robinson) was based on a biography written by that son, Hartzell Spence. And Norman Vincent Peale ("The Power of Positive Thinking") was a credited advisor. What the hell was everyone thinking??
July 27, 2011
I don't think it has enough memorable qualities.
½ October 20, 2010
"Christianity is fun... it's man's greatest joy and satisfaction"... sure it is! Canuck William Spence who about to graduate the University of Toronto in 1904 as a medical doctor, but he goes to a Methodist church one day, finds Jesus and decides to become a minister instead. This is news to his wife but she accepts his decision and they leave Stratford, Ontario for rural Iowa (currently living between Toronto and Stratford myself and having been to rural Iowa, I don't believe my wife would follow me! I apologize to anyone from Iowa...) The Spence family moves about and the years pass, town to town, wherever the Reverend feels he is needed he goes. It is a tough life, never having much money or a home they can call their own. At their lowest, the family finds their most difficult challenge, but will it be time for them to stay or leave for another parsonage... Excessive Godly music is heard throughout (as per usual in religious films in the 40s). March gives a fine performance as the thoughtful and hardworking, if also selfish and somewhat unethical Reverend (though I believe this is more a fault of the screenwriter) - I believe he was supposed to be a more noble character. His wife is so understanding though she is hard to believe! Traditional storytelling and filmmaking offers nothing new, but it is one of those entertaining 40s films with a strong cast of supporting players. Nominated for Best Picture at the 1941 Academy Awards.
October 13, 2010
Wednesday, October 13, 2010

(1941) One Foot In Heaven
DRAMA

Speaking as a non- christian or any other religion for that matter- I have to say this film is very well made! Starring in this film has one of my all time favorite actors, 2 time Oscar winner Frederic March as Father Spence as he and his family travel from one town or city after another and the obstacles that come with it! Since this film is about a real life person and his challenges as a minister this film cannot be looked at as an biography and should only be looked at as a film of great storytelling! It also has an awesome way to end a film!

4 out of 4
½ April 28, 2010
One Foot In Heaven was released in 1941. It stars Fredric March as a man about to be married and about to become a doctor. He suddenly realizes that his calling is to become a minister. He moves his young wife from Canada to the United States after he is ordained and the film follows him and his growing family through the years. Very good film especially for those who have an appreciation for classic films.
January 8, 2010
Cute movie, not sure why it was nominated for Best Picture. Seems like a lot of Christian propaganda to me. Did enjoy the performances by Fredric March and Martha Scott
½ December 27, 2009
Delightful slice of Americana, with warm and wonderful performaces by Fredric march and martha Scott. The supporting cast is superb, especially Beulah Bondi, Gene Lockhart, Harry Davenport and Laura Hope Crews.The plot is about a minister and his wife, the problems the encounter along the way. The best scene is where March and his son attend their first movie.
½ September 7, 2009
A Best Picture nominee of 1942, which I had to miss when I watched the other nominees (which included Citizen Kane). Another book adaptation, but at 100 minutes, I'm sure it left many key things out, because this film did not give me a minute to care about anything anyone was doing. A young med student goes back to his fiancee and says, "Instead of being a rich doctor's wife, you're going to be a broke preacher's wife, because I found God." She says, "Anything you want." like a good wife and goes to the beauty of 1910 Iowa. And there's nothing going on in any town that he moves to that isn't just a matter of bitching about how hard his job is.
½ August 24, 2009
This is a classic & highly recommended for all past, present, & future lay & ordained ministers!
July 3, 2008
want to see this because it was nominated for best picture at the oscars
January 16, 2008
good movie, never heard of it until now. sort of reminds me of that family from 7th Heaven.