One Bright Shining Moment: The Forgotten Summer of George McGovern - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Bright Shining Moment: The Forgotten Summer of George McGovern Reviews

March 22, 2014
Informative, yet biased. I did enjoy mcgoverns perspectives, he was knowledgable and wise. However, Many of those involved were unqualified to voice their opinion, but were included because of their extremes. It is easy to criticize the election of Nixon.
February 10, 2011
Every American should watch this movie about a true American Hero: George McGovern.
½ October 16, 2010
Very strong docu-film
February 12, 2010
Oh, how badly I wanted to enjoy this. But I can't shake the feeling that George McGovern deserved better than bitter polemics and tired hippie reminiscences. It's a tragedy that the bums lost, but maybe the bums aren't the ones to dissect the reasons for their loss.
December 28, 2008
Like any Liberal documentary you get a lot of the good vs. evil stuff and McGovern is painted in totally rosy colors, but I think the film had a point about the brilliance and failure of his 1972 bid for the presidency.
½ November 14, 2008
as usual, its not a great formal documentary. and theres not nearly enough time spent with mcgovern face to face. but jesus christ what a history lesson and a sense of patriotism. mcgovern should be the fulcrum of contemporrry american political hisotory. i'm also pretty drunk.
½ November 6, 2008
I think the story of George McGovern's failed canidacy is important to be known as is the stories of Bill Scranton in '64, Robert Kennedy in '68, and Shirley Chisolm in '72. This is a good documentary but it does at times go off the deep end in terms of narration and such, but the actual story and McGovern himself help this from being just a liberal documentary. Looking back at what could have been and now at what could be helps us look at the brighter side of politics and unfortunately the darker side at the same time. Good stuff for political and historical junkies and really paints a picture of McGovern's campaign that you don't see too often.
September 18, 2008
It's amazing how many quotes from this movie could have been taken out of today's news rather than the early 1970's!
½ April 28, 2008
Excellent documentary covering the last time Americans had a chance. High recommended to anyone with an interest in political change.
March 13, 2008
Great documentary on an under-understood election. Incredible footage and interviews. Flawed and biased because they don't even bother to try and represent or interview McGovern's foes- interviewing Nixon's cabinet members would have been awesome...wish they had left out the shrill anti-Bush KPFA propaganda at the very start because it sets a biased tone at the outset- why not wrap up with that after everyone see's how we got there? Must seeing for any political junkies. Will Obama learn from McGovern's campaign's mistakes?
Makes a great double-feature with Fog of War.
December 30, 2007
I'll try to check this out and see how it compares to what I was livin' in the early 70s.
December 11, 2007
Watch this, and don't let anyone tell you how great a president Nixon actually was. It is also a good reminder of how stupid the voting public can be.
December 2, 2007
It got tiresome after about thirty seconds and I stopped watching it about five minutes in.
November 30, 2007
I had never been very familiar with this campaign. People like Mcgovern have the power to restore some sense of pride and decency in America, if only they will stand for what they believe in.
October 25, 2007
Definitely a great documentary of "what could have been" if George McGovern (with his idealism) had become President. Though the history books paint him as a crushing, landslide defeat in Election 1972, he always stood for his ideals and was most cer...(read more)tainly of the people and put them first before anything else.
October 7, 2007
Definitely a great documentary of "what could have been" if George McGovern (with his idealism) had become President. Though the history books paint him as a crushing, landslide defeat in Election 1972, he always stood for his ideals and was most certainly of the people and put them first before anything else.
½ July 8, 2007
The story of Sen. McGovern and the 1972 election is one of the most intriguing of recent memory. This doc isn't inherently awful, but it doesn't quite get it right.
June 26, 2007
Our last free election in America.Also shows why the DNC can not win anything...