One Day in September - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Day in September Reviews

October 9, 2017
A perfect recount of the tragedy at the 1972 Olympics in Munich and narrated by Michael Douglas. One of the most powerful documentaries I've ever seen.
January 30, 2017
Great documentary about the massacre of the Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. Some nice finds on interviews, including the only living terrorist there that day (many have tried to find him and kill him, so it's actually a pretty remarkable get for the filmmakers).

There is plenty of news footage and testimony to put together a very linear account of what happened. The story is made all the more remarkable by its tragic conclusion. No spoilers, but what a roller coaster. Could have done without some photos at the end, but hey, that's what happened I guess.
June 22, 2016
Winner of the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature, "One Day in September" details the traumatic events of the Munich massacre during the 1972 Summer Olympics. With background information regarding the people involved (including the sole survivor of the group that carried out the massacre) & how the situation was handled (more or less), the documentary was quite informative & moving; the aftermath was also unfortunate. Truly a great, yet dramatic documentary.
April 11, 2014
Very good, Oscar-winning documentary taking a look at the tragic 1972 events at the Munich Olympic games where eleven Israeli athletes were taken hostage by Palestinian terrorists. The footage is masterfully played out, and even though you know what is coming, it grips you like few events can.
½ April 3, 2014
A challenging & confronting documentary that truly captures the horror of the palastian terrorist attack on the Israeli sleeping quarters in the 1972 Munich games.

The two most interesting aspects of this story are the way the terrorists used media & the games to build it up to a world event & how badly the ambush went at the German Airport.

Filled with many fascinating interviews especially from the only surviving gunman of the event & certain wives & children of the 11 that where murdered. This was a horrible history but a brilliant documentary.
August 5, 2013
Watch this as a partner to "Munich"- (Spielberg )- and you get a pretty full picture of the whole story - This Pic has a pretty dame fine soundtrack though - some early 70s classics
July 21, 2013
Famous documentary about the attack of the Black September terrorist group on the Israeli Olympic athletes at the 1972 Berlin Olympics. With its use of archive primary source material and interviews of people directly involved in the event, as well as a tasteful narration by Michael Douglas, this is an exciting documentary which brims with the urgency and immediacy of history in the making.
July 11, 2013
One of the most intense documentaries I've ever seen (even though I knew how it turned out).
March 12, 2013
this is a documentary about Munich Olympic tragedy, particularly about the kidnapping, negotiations and the tragic unsuccesful resque attempt. if it is real (and there is no need not to believe it since more than 40 years passed), it shows how ubelieveably screwd the entire operation was (armoured trucks stucked in traffic jam, 2-hour-shooting instead of 2-minute-operation, etc. etc.) It looks though German goverment did not really want to intervene into possible huge political conflict (confirmed by wierd Lufthansa plane hijack). The question is if they should since Isreali did offer no solutions but sending SWAT team...
January 27, 2013
The best documentary I have ever seen
January 20, 2013
Brilliantly recalls the evetns of Munich '72. Everyone should see this at least once.
January 7, 2013
How sick was this?? Israeli athletes being held hostage and the games forced to continue. Men held at gunpoint but the competitors continued to run and jump and throw. so much for German efficiency here. Fancy televising a live rescue operation taking place on the rooftops just above the heads of the terrorists for them to see on tv. Even years after WW2, the Germans managed to add the scalps of 11 more jews to their list. This documentary was so good, it depressed me. The 1972 olympics should be scrapped from the history books. Its Muslims in Germany. Evil living in evil. Murderers in murderland. All hostages killed, and all terrorists released. Its outragous. If you want soothing , follow this with a viewing of Spelberg's Munich
January 3, 2013
Thought I was watching just another 'Storyville', didn't realise I was watching an oscar winning documentary, but I can clearly see why. Along with providing a clear story to an event I was only barely aware of, he provided information from people no normal doc would have offered, very, very good.
½ January 2, 2013
Remarkable in the depth of the story-telling and analysis. Can't believe they were able to talk to the lone remaining terrorist from the raid.
October 17, 2012
The best documentary I've seen. With the wise use of the era's media, it made the experience so vivid.
September 29, 2012
Kevin McDonald pulls off something of a coup to have the first ever interview with the last remaining Palestinian terrorist involved in 1972's atrocity against the Israeli Olympic team - and secures a best documentary Oscar in the process. The film avoids the soft targets - while recognising the wrongheadedness and tragedy of the days events, it remains mostly partisan on the Israeli / Palestinian politics. Instead, with a snipers precision lacking in the bungled German rescue operation, anger is focused on the incompetent and underprepared german security forces, the IOC's inappropriate response, the rubber-necking onlookers and finally the global media revelling in it's 24hour news cycle.
September 21, 2012
Although not without merit, I was disappointed by several aspects of this film,
I didn't like some of the heavy editing choices - misplaced and unsympathetic. In particular the use of montage near the end, Also, it offered insufficient opportunity for justifying the motives of Black September - as though nobody wants to hear the answer to the question, why did you do it?
September 14, 2012
Superb and eye-opening account of the Olympics most fateful day.
½ August 18, 2012
Jim McKay: "When I was a kid my father used to say our greatest hopes and our worst fears are seldom realized. Our worst fears have been realized tonight. They have now said there were eleven hostages; two were killed in their rooms yesterday morning, nine were killed at the airport tonight. They're all gone."
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ August 1, 2012
"When I was a kid my father used to say our greatest hopes and our worst fears are seldom realized. Our worst fears have been realized tonight."

The Palestinian terrorist group Black September holds Israeli athletes hostage at the 1972 Summer Olympic Games in Munich.

REVIEW
This documentary uses real footage throughout, with archived news reels, pictures, photos (of the dead, shot, burnt, otherwise), and interviews with family members. But their real coup would be to have interviewed the one and only surviving terrorist who partook in the horror against the spirit of the Olympics. It also provides those born after 1972, or too young to remember, a look at the events surrounding that day - from the Olympic organizers who are too arrogant to suspend the games, the indifference of the athletes in the Olympic Village, the lack of adequate security (as compared to today), to the politics behind the entire affairs.

Perhaps what will rile you are the West German's botched attempt to rescue the hostages. They were surprisingly ill-prepared, deploying untrained teams, lack of proper equipment, and had to recall countless of attempts, before the final embarrassment at the airport, which exposed their severe weakness at handling terrorist incidents. All the hostages were killed in the confrontation, when the terrorists threw hand grenades and emptied bullets into the helicopters they were in. It's only after this that the Germans formed their anti-terror squad, the GSG9. To make matters worse, there was a cover up and collusion between the Germans and the terrorists when the latter apparently hijacked a Lufthansa flight (with only 12 passengers on board, and no women and children), and the former handed over the 3 surviving terrorists of the Munich incident in exchange for safe passage of the flight. Perhaps the worst thing about viewing "One Day in September" is that it represents a warning in these terrorist-driven times that such events could always happen again. This film should not just be about what happened then, but about what could happen now and in the future.