One for the Money - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One for the Money Reviews

½ July 26, 2014
Katherine Heigl looks great, she has a sassy edge and her performance is solid but even her comedic talent can't compensate for One For The Money's lack of laughs and action thrills. Down on her luck Stephanie Plum (Heigl) takes a job for her sleazy cousin in his bail bond business, only to realise her target is her ex. If Plum can catch him and take him in she'll get her hands on a sweet amount of money, and feel even better knowing she's put away her ex. Decent premise but bad execution, it took a good 30 minutes till I laughed, even though it was more of an awkward chuckle. The only word to describe this film is dry, sucked free of comedy. Daniel Sunjata lacks charisma and is just there to make Heigl's character look less qualified for the job. Sherri Sheperd is as funny as ever but only appears for a few minutes, the supporting cast are a mixed bag, never living up to the shine of the lead star. One For The Money is one of those films that you have to trudge through, you don't really enjoy it yet can't turn it off as you hope it will improve as the minutes pass by, but sadly it stays on auto-pilot.
July 22, 2014
Ignore all negative reviews! I started watching this movie thinking I wasn't going to like it, based on the negative reviews it got. But, once the pace and plot picked up, it actually turned out to be a fun and witty movie. Granted it's far from perfect, but Katherine Heigl fit right into the role of Stephanie Plum.
June 30, 2014
Well, I dunno I liked this movie anyways...
½ June 29, 2014
Kind of liked it, even though it's not a great movie
June 20, 2014
I don't get why people hate it so much, I mean it wasn't great, but it really wasn't terrible.
June 17, 2014
This Movie was really good!
June 15, 2014
Loved this movie. Not exactly like the book but damn good. I thought Heigl did a great job being Plum. Maybe you had to read the books and enjoy them to like the movie. It was funny. Anyway I loves it and hope they make some more of the books into movies.
½ June 14, 2014
The Worst Movie I Ever Seen.F
June 11, 2014
This was easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I can't believe I actually sat through the whole thing. Katherine Heigl's accent was completely phony and the storyline was all over the place.
June 9, 2014
I love this movie, I think it's very funny!
½ May 9, 2014
Katherine Heigl effectively saves this film.
½ May 8, 2014
A fun mix of crime, thriller and comedy based in the book with the same title by Janet Evanovich. It follows the endeavours of Stephanie Plum, an unemployed and recently divorced young lady forced to take a job as a bounty hunter at her cousin's Vinnie bail bond business. Her first assignment is to retrieve Joe Morelli to justice. He is a cop accused of murder that used to be Stephanie's old flame.
When Stephanie starts to investigate the whereabouts of Joe she starts to unravel a web of dirty business that will put her life in danger. After several killings, chases and even a bomb Stephanie starts to learn the ropes of this difficult trade.
Never read one of the Stephanie Plum books but I can see what makes them attractive: a pretty determined divorcee with a tough job but making no excuses for it follows to the end. Unfortunately those traits are what make it really hard to believe what is happening in the screen. No inexperienced woman could do that job successfully, even less an ex-Macy's lingerie manager with no gun. If you don't mind the unlikeness of the story you can probably appreciate the small array of funny and warm characters, Lulla, Ranger, cousin Vinnie, Grandma, Bernie Kuntz... the action scenes, the humour of the dialogues. In the low notes the mafia story is a little blurred, everything happens very quickly and it isn't properly explained. It is as much enjoyable as it is forgettable, probably I will end up reading the book it sounds as it could be good fun.
April 21, 2014
One of the few times where the movie was as good or better than the book!
April 15, 2014
I own this on DVD and Blu-Ray.
½ March 26, 2014
While no work of art, it wasn't nearly as bad as most felt it was. It took a very low key approach and departed little from the book's story (though admittedly a bit more creative license wouldn't have hurt), with the biggest changes being toning down some of the more violent elements. While this likely made the film more tolerable for some audience members, it did soften its edge a bit and thus the mystery portion fell a little flat. It isn't rife with belly laughs either, but it has a certain lighthearted charm and likeability to it that makes it an easy watch. I enjoyed Katherine Heigl in the title role and appreciated her not going overboard with the Jersey accent, keeping it minimal and deliberately subtle. Her voice-over narration, though effective in spots, does have a tendency to state the obvious a little too often, and it's likely these moments that cement the film's bad reputation. It's also a shame that a few scenes with Debbie Reynolds were axed, as her screentime is minimal in the final cut. The rest of the supporting cast, though offbeat, is surprisingly effective, and it's fun not to see A-listers crammed in just for the sake of it. A pity no sequel will be produced, for with a stronger director the cast could easily improve over this good, yet imperfect, start.
½ March 16, 2014
Katherine Heigl needs to apologize for making this movie.
March 6, 2014
Only because @Julie wants to see it.
February 28, 2014
After having read the books, I was VERY disappointed. Looked like a low budget film.
February 26, 2014
It wasn't as unwatchable as expected.
January 25, 2014
After watching this for fourteen minutes, I thought to myself 'I may as well shove a pogo stick up my vagina because that provides a lot more entertainment and tension.'