One Good Cop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Good Cop Reviews

½ June 2, 2016
The conclusion of this movie unintentionally illustrates some of the major problems with law enforcement.
August 25, 2015
Not what I was expecting at all from this cop drama. It ends up being more about managing family and making ends meet when tragedy strikes...
July 3, 2015
One Good Cop, starring Michael Keaton, not gonna watch it again because it was sxxt.
½ April 1, 2015
Talk about your mess of a script.
½ August 19, 2014
Alright flick, but not captivating. Didn't really enjoy it; Michael Keaton does some decent acting in the movie; he plays a cop who's partner gets killed and he leaves him to take care of his kids. It's nowhere near action packed although there is a shoot out scene towards the end. All in all it was okay, but wouldn't watch again.
May 14, 2014
Surprisingly heartfelt. Good Story.
May 13, 2014
Artie and his partner are two good cops and they are best friends. When arties partner gets killed in action artie must now take care of his three daughters which artie and his wife have no experience in. and they must make a decision on whats best for the girls because they cant afford them and the orphanage would split them up. And meanwhile also artie still goes out looking for the bad guys. Michael Keaton and Rene russo are the only actors I recognized in this movie. After batman and beetlejuice I have alot of respect for Keaton. To me he is a great actor. He can really get you into the story with his acting. I got this movie at Goodwill for $1. Didn't even see what it was about but seen Keaton on the front and already had it in mind that I was going to buy it. I knew with him in it that it would be good and it was. Rene russo played his wife and was very good here too. Two thumbs up for this movie! Its an emotionally well acted movie with good action too.
August 30, 2013
Michael Keaton stars as a cop whose partner is killed in a hostage negotiation. He than takes the law into his own hands to exact revenge provide for his partner's now orphaned kids.

I'm a Keaton fan so I really liked this movie a lot. There isn't anything special about it, but it's a good guy flick.
½ December 2, 2012
One Good Cop is One Boring Movie
½ July 23, 2012
oh i love michael keaton!
½ May 8, 2012
Only in America can a cop this crooked be considered 'one good cop.'
April 10, 2011
Michael Keaton, in probably, the best role of his career. Outstanding film.
½ March 1, 2011
Departure from standard Michael Keaton fare...especially since it kind of turns itself on it's head in the third act, but if there's anything I learned from this movie, it's that if you are Michael Keaton, and you are a cop, you can rob from the rich and pay off your new house...and everything will be a-ok. Still a solid flick though.
½ November 22, 2010
One Good Cop = One bad movie.

So over the top with its melodrama that it's shameless and manipulative, but ultimately shallow and heartless.
July 29, 2010
There's no doubt in my mind Michael Keaton's sophisitcation that he brings to his characters, makes any movie he does appealing. Heck, even Jack Frost had an appeal to it, but the movie of course sucked. And so does this one.

Ok, maybe I'm being a little unfair, I mean characters like this are written for someone like Michael Keaton, and you can easily see why this role was something he felt he could take on without any trouble. Afterall, just two years before this film came out, Michael Keaton was Batman! And when this film was released, he was filiming Batman Returns. It's safe to say Michael Keaton was one of the biggest stars in the world at the release of this movie.

The premise is simple. Keaton plays Artie Lewis, a respected cop, who loves his wife, and is best friends with his partner, played by another talented actor, Anthony LaPaglia, best known for his starring role on the hit TV series, Without a Trace. His partner is killed in a hostage crisis, and his world gets turned upside down.

He ends up taking care of his partner's three young girls, as he was a single parent, and now he must go to great lenghts to protect everyone he loves in his life, lenghts to the point where it crosses a moral boundry in his police work.

I normally like movies like this, but it plays itself off more like a lazy Charles Bronson film, that doesen't make the effort at all to be any fun. And this movie really cops out in a cliche Hollywood manner, and for something with such great potential, I can't understand for the life of me as to why, anyone thought this was a good idea.

As I said Keaton is good here, he's very seldom ever bad, even in a bad film. Rene Russo, normally reliable and good in her films, is written thanklessly as Artie's wife Rita, and the girls are also written lazily, with maybe the minor acception of Grace Johnson, who was quite good in the tearjerker "Beaches" a few years before this.

It's hard to imagine this film ever even being touted to be a success, it seemed as if the world was banking on Michael Keaton to be a huge box office monster with him being a well like actor among critics and loyal fans for years, and the huge success of Batman. Now yes, I said too, Keaton was one of the biggest movie stars in the world, but sadly it wasn't because of his acting abilites, it was because of the Batman name being attatched to him. The problem here, is that the makers of this film were going for quantity, not quality, and they ended up with neither. The film bombed in the box office, and most critics did not like it. Neither did I.
July 26, 2010
There was potential here for a powerful drama, but director/writer Heywood Gould decided to go for contrived manipulation.
½ May 12, 2010
This Was A Pretty Good Film I Love It Michael Keaton Did Good As His Role As Artie Lewis!
March 11, 2010
I GOT MUGGED TODAY. By a Black Indian.
½ February 27, 2010
Another not-so-memorable Keaton flick.