One Lucky Elephant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Lucky Elephant Reviews

March 25, 2014
A deeply personal and emotional documentary about a man and his elephant, One Lucky Elephant outlines the relationship developed between a human and an animal all the while providing enough background on the captivity and management of elephants.
June 18, 2013
tugged at my heart strings. Sad to see the hurt of being sepetated but hoping and believe that Flora is happy now while always remembering her past.
May 26, 2013
Very sad in a way, to see the after effects of what capture and culling of elephants in the wild does. I am glad that Flora has gone on to a happy life, but it is a pity it is at such sad costs. Feel sorry for her previous owner, but did feel the man was in denial about her misbehaviour.
½ January 5, 2013
Touching and thought-provoking story that examines humans' relations with circus animals, and where they go when it's time for retirement.
November 14, 2012
A well done documentry. It doesn't change my opinion of people with exotic pets.
May 25, 2012
I liked it but it was kind of heart breaking. Any movie about circus animals can be hard to watch. He was a well cared for animal however....so not heartbreaking in that sense.
½ January 4, 2012
This show highlights the exact reason I boycott circuses...mainly because of the elephants. At least this man treated her really well and recognized she needed a different life. I hope this film raises awareness of the plight of wild animals who need a better life of freedom, if not in the wild again, then to live out their lives in a sanctuary of some sort.
December 3, 2011
I found this doc profoundly depressing. While I support zoos, etc. that can put wild animals in a simulated natural habitat, putting them in unnatural surroundings is so obviously cruel that I didn?t see the need for another doc to support the obvious. The value of the doc was to expose how an otherwise worthy animal organization (the Sanctuary) can so narrow mindedly presume what is best for animals based on the patent nonsense of a so-called ?animal psychologist,? as well as making decisions based on petty human politics. That is why I give the doc a ?fresh.? The doc was a pretty damning indictment of the Sanctuary?s former director, Carol Buckley. And under its new management, things stay the same since it won?t let Buckley visit the elephant with which she spent half a lifetime, Tarra.
½ December 2, 2011
I've been in love with Elephants since I was a kid and went to see Raja at the St. Louis Zoo. This story brought tears to my eyes more than once. I am a supporter of The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee. I think the work they do there is amazing. This story is so touching and I hope others see it and discover the struggle it is for these wild beasts to live in captivity, even under the best possible conditions.
October 29, 2011
"Shot over the period of a decade, the film evolved into something even the filmmakers could not have expected. It's a disarmingly emotional tale, an epic drama played out on an intimate scale. Make no mistake, this is a love story, but a love story with wide ranging implications. It's about animal rights, it's about humanity's role in the lives of the animals we choose to care for, but ultimately, it's about how far we're willing to go for love. You'll find no truer or more empathetic documentary on the big screen this year. One Lucky Elephant is a treasure." From the Front Row
September 3, 2011
Very interesting story!
June 24, 2011
I like how the audience and the reviewers are on opposite ends for most films.
June 10, 2011
I loved the whole story!! It was predictable, but it was it was a great ride..
½ June 6, 2011
When it comes to documentaries about human beings and their passionate love for certain mammals, I'd recommend Project Nim instead.
June 2, 2011
A remarkable documentary about a man an his elephant, a decade spanning love story between circus master David Balding and his elephant, Flora, who after 16 years realizes that she no longer enjoys performing. So he sets out to find a new home for her, a task that is more difficult than he could have ever imagined. Thoughtfully examines the plight of animals in captivity and the bond between human and animal. This is a moving real life WATER FOR ELEPHANTS.