One Missed Call - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Missed Call Reviews

November 11, 2014
One Missed Call is 53 minutes of 'meh', 34 minutes of very scary, adding up to something not great. 42/100
½ October 31, 2014
What I got to say about "One Missed Call" is that it's not a good movie at all. The performances by the cast are so lifeless. The directing by Eric Valette is horrendous. The screenplay by Andrew Klavan is dreadful. "The storyline doesn't make no sense." The cinematography and the score in this movie is okay. "What I got to report is that "One Missed Call" is an terrible movie that is NOT a must see movie!"
½ October 26, 2014
had its scary parts but just stupid after the scares
½ October 21, 2014
It requires a special kind of stupid to make a movie this bad. This is without a doubt the worst horror movie I've ever seen, and one of the worst movies I've ever seen. There are countless plot holes and inconsistencies, and it borrows heavily from The Ring; the protagonist has a certain amount of time to solve the mystery behind an urban legend before she is killed. The explanations for what was going on in the movie were so lame. Some stuff wasn't explained at all. There is also an extremely high amount of jump scares, all of which make you roll your eyes. One was so bad that the loud noise didn't match up with the "scary image". You'd think there'd at least be a little bit of tension to compensate for the lame jump scares, but there's a shortage on that too. You don't care about any of the characters because they're introduced, then killed of in about 5 minutes. You definitely want to miss this call.
½ September 29, 2014
the fact that this turkey made 45 million just goes to show how little people care about reviews lol
September 13, 2014
"One Missed Call" is a complete mess of a horror film. It starts with a ridiculous premise: what if your mobile phone killed you? (an idea that has already become the subject of several parodies) and proceeds to run it into the ground. Basically, people receive a strange phone call where the sender leaves a message for them on their voice mail and it is dated from the future (for instance, if it was Thursday, they might get a call listed as Friday, 4:00 pm). Once you listen to the phone call, you realize that it's the sound of your upcoming death, which, despite your best efforts happens at the exact time of your voice mail. Your only hope to evade this fate is to go back to the beginning, using the hallucinations you receive as clues to figure out where the chain of deadly phone calls began.

The characters in the story react so casually to the events that are happening that you can't get invested in them or sucked into the story. You get some small glimpses of creepy distorted faces and there are a good amount of dead bodies in the end but if the victim's friends don't care, why should you? Like most movies based on Asian horror films, the story here is a mystery where the main character has to find the source of the curse in order to end the chain of events that threatens her. The idea with this type of tale is that as our main character Beth (Shannyn Sossamon) gets closer to the solution, the number of possible victims keeps getting smaller and smaller until she is trying to save herself or a few key characters by finally exposing some hidden truth or unleashing some kind of trapped spirit or something. Basically it gives us an explanation for why everything has been going on and she saves herself in the process. In this story the explanations for why phones are killing people are very loose and don't really make any sense. It actually gets downright silly when you see a dead body dialing a cell phone and the movie never makes its main characters act logically. There is one scene where we see a potential victim smash her phone and throw it away, which would be a logical thing to do, but everyone else feels like they're too attached to their phone contacts to actually try and intervene in the deadly chain of events. How stupid are these people?! We have established that the chain of deaths happens because the names of future victims are inside the phone of the previous ones... at least TRY and stop the murders by deleting numbers from your address book!

The film feels like a desperate attempt to make a concept that no matter how hard you tried, could never really be scary. There is a death at the very beginning of the film where someone dies, and they pet gets killed right after by the ghost and it makes absolutely no sense. Not only that the animal itself dies, but the way that it dies doesn't not match the explanation we get at the end of the movie at all. Well, unless it was one of those cats who likes to text people on their cellphones, I see those all the time in real life. The movie is PG-13 so even horror fans that can accept the thinnest of plots as long as they get their blood and nudity will be disappointed. With these limitations, you would think that this rating would direct the film into more suspense and unsettling imagery but there is only a tiny bit of those horror elements in the film. There are some great makeup effects towards the end of the story and this is where pretty much all of the excitement is concentrated. The more you think about the movie, the more it starts to fall apart and it becomes a ridiculous attempt at making a ghost horror movie. There's no reason to see "One Missed Call" instead of the many other superior Japanese horror ghost films that have emerged unless you really will get scared by anything and want an extremely tame horror film. (On Dvd, October 12, 2012)
½ August 16, 2014
This is one you'll be glad you missed.
½ July 21, 2014
laughed so hard at this horrific excuse for a movie.
½ June 5, 2014
The acting is terrible and the scares were hit or miss for the most part, but what saves One Missed Call from being a complete disaster is some creepy imagery, and a mildly intriguing story. It could have been way worse than it actually turned out to be.
½ May 25, 2014
Not scary whatsoever.
May 15, 2014
Takashi Miike's original wasn't great--this remake proves even more tiresome and derivative despite some decently creepy imagery....
½ May 5, 2014
You can tell that they tried, but the outcome, acting, and atmosphere is poor. The idea is semi-original but the dialogue just sucks. Nothing but a few jump scares here and a few gorey scenes there.
½ May 1, 2014
Kind of creepy, but doesn't finish well
April 23, 2014
such a good movie but i havent seen it in a while
April 5, 2014
It isn't the worst horror film I have ever seen but jeez it went close to convince me that it was the worst
March 23, 2014
One missed call is a decent movie although it could have been better Especially with a special effects.
½ March 21, 2014
Most people know this movie because of it's zero percent rating on this site, and it's not popular with audiences at all and never has been, so as soon as I found out this movie got absolutely butchered I set out to buy it, and to my surprise One Missed Call is a frequently spine tingling and dark mystery chiller, I personally don't define it as a horror. There's always a sense of dread and a few jumpy shocks along the way, and these shocks are emphasised by some truly creepy imagery. I loved the scene when the first phone call comes through, the look on Shannyn Sossamon's and Azura Skye's faces are very convincing full of terror, this is a well constructed scene. One by one the characters are picked off in gruesome ways in a final destination sort of manner but this movie's gore isn't that effective. Although the characters aren't ones you care for, the cast's performance are quite good, but there are some short moments where the acting is a bit off key, a little life needs to be injected but I like the cast and the storyline creeps me out. I think Shannyn Sossamon is a great lead, I'd like to see more of her movies. You'd think because it's based on technology One Missed Call wouldn't be scary but it actually succeeds in giving the mobile phone a creepy vibe, or should I say tone.
½ March 8, 2014
Does the theatrical poster even sound like it's gonna show us a good movie?! Even the trailer sucks.
½ March 8, 2014
Life Threateningly Dull, Bad Direction, Awful Story, Terrible Acting and not scary !
½ February 27, 2014
It was cool seeing Edward Burns but that was all I can say about it. Poorly paced and directed. Definitely a movie to scroll past if looking at a horror list. The story is confusing but not in a good way. You'll be thinking "What just happened?" but you won't care enough to really think about it or look it up. Poor film.