One Night in the Tropics - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Night in the Tropics Reviews

April 4, 2015
The only thing special about this Universal musicomedy is the first screen appearance of Bud Abbott & Lou Costello (third-billed) who recreate their famous "Who's On First" routine.
February 13, 2013
First film ever staring one of the greatest comedy duos ever, and it ultimately failed to gain my approval. While Abbott and Costello's performances are exceptional as always, the remaining problem is that the film has less to do with them, and more to do with characters that don't even matter. The two almost have nothing to do with the film at all, as if all their meant for is to add laughs and nothing more than that. The true main characters don't have any real substance, nor do they make the film worth watching. It's no wonder they needed these two because they were the only good things about it.
January 13, 2012
This was not bad. All the jokes were still fresh & packed a bit of a punch. The story was interesting & there were moments where I yielded a true chuckle. Yeah, good for a rainy day, which it was.
December 3, 2011
TheSlowJoker
December 28, 2010
was the only second abbott and costello movie i have seen and i have to say i love their work i cant say a bad word about them

i cant remember the last time i have laughed so much while watching a movie the way i did watching these two

if you want a laugh then should see this utter brilliant
February 22, 2008
Love insurance is not exactly laugh insurance here but the boys get to break out into movies with an abbreviated version of their classic "Who's On First?".
July 5, 2009
I have the collection of these two and I watch them often
February 6, 2009
Eh, not the best entry from the classic comedy duo. It has its moments. Some of their classic routines are featured in this one.
½ September 8, 2008
A&C aren't really in this movie a lot. But when they are they shine.
½ November 4, 2008
Very weak but the setting is attractive and Bud & Lou steal the show in their first film roles. They may only be supporting characters here but their appearances play like a demo reel of their best hits and their introduction is just spot on perfect.
½ September 13, 2008
Abbott & Costello's movie debut showcases some of their most famous comedy routines such as "2 10's for a 5" and the classic "Who's on First?".

The film has stars Robert Cummings and Allan Jones up to their necks in love insurance and females down in the Carribean

Passable romantic comedy with plenty of songs complements of Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II (of Show Boat fame) for those interested.

A & C were to return in Buck Privates which became a smash hit and the rest is history.
½ August 28, 2008
Abbott & Costello have small roles in this, doing some of their famous skits without regard to the rest of the plot. The main plot is enjoyable enough.
April 21, 2008
Not a very good movie. However, it is Abott and Costello's first film roles. They are only supporting cast, and along with William Frawley of I Love Lucy fame, are the only watchable actors here. Their scenes are the only ones worth watching. One viewing is all that is needed, if that.
½ April 12, 2008
The first movie for bud and Lue.
½ February 25, 2008
This movie would have absolutely no rewatch value if not for Abbott and Costello showing up midway through the picture. The bland story and main characters make the hilarious duo seem even funnier than in any of their other films.
½ March 7, 2008
also not one of there strongest stories but still funny
December 10, 2006
I was surprised by this one... i thought it was overall hysterical with a few dull scenes here or there but overall a joy
½ October 25, 2005
A decent movie that I only watched for Abbott and Costello's characters, but the story ended up to be something I could bear watching and kinda enjoyed. Unfortunately it didn't give me much else, Abbott and Costello did a couple jokes I've heard before, including Who's on First within the movie, which I thought was pretty lame...