One Night With the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Night With the King Reviews

½ February 21, 2017
Really good costumes and sets. Apart from that, the script and acting was not engaging. I fell asleep for part; for the rest, I played with my phone.
½ January 8, 2017
It started out a little weak, but ended strong. I'm surprised how accurate it is in reflecting the Bible, except for the injected drama part. It did also capture the depth of the situation which is often not reflected in recorded historical text such as Esther's struggle. There's a reason she said "If I perish, I perish," inciting the dangerousness and hopelessness of her situation in the text. Very well made, surprisingly, would've been better if done in Hebrew and with less European actors.
July 6, 2016
The first thing that strikes me about this movie based on the biblical story of Esther is the really elaborate production quality of it all, from set pieces to costume. It is obvious that a large part of it was shot in India, giving this interpretation of the Babylonian Empire and King Xerxes a more eastern style, though I am no expert in ancient cultures to verify if this historically accurate enough. As for the story, there were certainly artistic liberties taken. The one which should be bother most biblical scholar is how the relationship of Esther and Xerxes is made to look like a Harlequin-like romance novel. Again I think I will just appreciate it for being able help me imagine the historically plausible setting might have been like.
September 21, 2015
This is a good family movie
September 21, 2015
This movie is an "almost-good" movie; It's like watching Olympic Swimmer Michael Phelps dive into the water and then dogpaddle his way to the finish line. The set is beautiful, but the camera transitions are jarring; The cast is A-List, but the writing is terrible; Omar Sharif and Peter O'Toole share this movie, but no scenes. John Rhys-Davies is a fresh spring of acting in a dry, dry movie.
½ August 9, 2015
classic scene: when she bursts through the doors of the king's banquet.
August 2, 2015
Awesome movie! Great acting, scenery, music and rendition. I don't know why the Rotten Tomato critics are so hard on Christian movies.
½ May 5, 2015
No offense this is a boring movie that feels more like a TV drama.
½ August 10, 2014
ok biblical/historical drama
May 30, 2014
This movie is very good. It is a bit of a "Hollywoodititzed" version of Easter but good none the less. It makes me smile and shows a great example of the original Easter in the Bible who risked her life to save her people and followed God's instructions despite all trials. Tiffany Dupont is beautiful and is a very good actress, I hope to see her in other films in the future! Very worth watching and family friendly.
½ April 21, 2014
The Biblical epic One Night With the King is a compelling story of faith and duty. A Jewish peasant girl named Esther wins the heart of King Xerxes during his search for a new queen, but when a nefarious prince named Haman plots to kill the Jewish population she must risk everything to save her people. James Callis gives an incredible performance as Haman; creating a tantalizingly evil villain that's smart and crafty. Tiffany Dupont's performance as Esther on the other hand is quite poor, and she's unable to hold her own against her co-stars. However, the production valves are extraordinarily well-done; from the costumes to the set designs, to the sweeping score, the film does a remarkable job at creating a grand, historical look and feel. A powerful tale of faith, One Night With the King is an inspiring spiritual drama.
March 15, 2014
May you all enjoy a Good Purim!
February 15, 2014
Emotional Bible movie, but they take WAY too many liberties with this one.
January 1, 2014
I love this movie. Made and told very well, one of favorite bible stories! Beautiful and wonderful!
December 15, 2013
Merveilleux film relatant le livre d'Esther!
½ October 27, 2013
Lo bonito fue aprender cosas nuevas de la historia de Esther pero la pelicula en si tiene muchas carencias tecnicas y actorales. Actores desconocidos y con poca experiencia.
September 30, 2013
I am not certain how well they adhered to the original teaching but still very captivating and entertaining.
August 19, 2013
I love it all really made me think.
May 15, 2013
Very interesting take on the story. Nice music. LOVE the costuming! Still didn't capture the story the way I imagined though...idk...it was good...but not great.
May 11, 2013
it was really good!!!!!!!!!