One of Our Aircraft Is Missing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One of Our Aircraft Is Missing Reviews

½ November 24, 2014
Another early wartime collaboration from The Archers (Powell and Pressburger, later to create The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus, among other phantastic films). The plot here is straightforward enough: an RAF crew has to bail out over the Netherlands when their engines fail and then need to find their way out of Nazi-occupied territory and back to the UK. How they manage this (with the help of Dutch locals) represents the main action (and suspense) of the film. But far from being humdrum, the Archers present these methodical steps in a lyrical way with affectionate characterizations from memorable character actors -- and as much quirkiness as can be safely rendered in what were very serious times. Most of the collaborators' magic is yet to come but this is still worth a watch.
October 9, 2012
i'm a big sucker for briitish war propaganda and this is one of the best. only the second film for powell and pressburger as the archers and it's clear they make a great team. the film involves a bomber crew forced to bail out over holland and try to make it home with help from the dutch resistance. gripping stuff
July 26, 2012
A little messy(may of been the print) - not the mature Powell and Pressburger I love - but the elements are there but they were either suppressed through propaganda or just unrealized at this point in their careers.
July 13, 2012
I didn't expect a 1940s film to be more action-packed than the Bourne Ultimatum but for a film about bombing raids, I expected it to be slightly livelier than watching snails grow. After about 20mins, I think I slipped into unconsciousness.
July 8, 2012
Perhaps the best propaganda war film ever made.

A compelling story and Peter Ustinov's first appearance on screen. Also a great perspective of the Dutch and their efforts to help in the war. Powell and Pressburger seldom disappoint.
May 27, 2012
Good old stuff that never grows old!
½ February 9, 2012
A fairly well made, well acted film with a suspenseful and unique story, and with the fact that it was filmed during the war itself, really cool to say the least, an entertaining classic.
December 11, 2010
An excellence piece of classic cinema. Not sure if it's a true story or not but I should imagine the Dutch resistance to Nazi occupation and other elements are both historically accurate and it all comes across as very convincing. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ November 14, 2010
Might be the best WWII film made during the war. A tribute to the Dutch resistance as well as the RAF.
September 13, 2010
TV Sep 2010. Good film.
½ January 16, 2010
Another of the propganda films made during World War II by Powell and Pressburger. Sadly although the film starts off well enough, the escape through occupied Holland to safety is less enthralling - one for film buffs, than the casual observer!
August 28, 2009
Another great World War Two Movie involving a bomber on a raid, the scenes inside the bomber are fantastic because you get to see and hear whats went on inside the aircraft.The sound of the aircraft engines is brilliant.Recommend this one!
August 1, 2009
the story moves constantly and logically...never boring..inspite of the lack of action for a war flick...
June 17, 2009
One of Our Aircraft Is Missing is a propaganda movie made during World War II but one that holds up well after six decades because of the unusual choices made by Powell and Pressburger. Such as there is no phony derring do or heroics. The Dutch are the real heroes and get the job done in threatening situations, with bravery that is understated. The English crew know their lives depend on these men and women and learn quickly to do as they are told. We hardly see a German. And we never see a stereotypical ranting, raving German officer or an enlisted goon. The German threat hangs over the movie, but it is made more effective by being subtle. The bravest and most resourceful of the Dutch are the women. From Else Meertens (Pamela Brown), a schoolteacher in a small community, to Jo de Vries (Googie Withers), who plays a risky double game with the Germans and owns the fishing boats, it is the women to whom the crew owe their salvation. There is no bombastic musical score. What we hear is wind rushing by, boots marching, the creak of windmills, water lapping at a stone pier and, often, just silence. The opening and closing credits play over the roar of the plane's engines.
March 11, 2009
Some of Britains finest filmmakers made propaganda driven films during the war, and this is one of Powell and Pressburgers. As a narrative it is fairly dull and heavy going, but it is clearly more interested in informing the public at the time of the sacrifices and support that anti-Nazi groups in Holland were giving the allies, here a bomber crew bailed from their damaged plane. More of interest from a historical point of view than a particularly enjoyable film, but there are some good moments particularly on the initial bombing runs.
February 19, 2009
The film's propaganda origins are obvious, and mean that the aircrew all get back safely. But being Powell and Pressburger, it's superior propaganda.
February 15, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch..its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that this is a good 1940's movie 2 watch its filmed in black n white..i think that both eric portman n hugh williams play good parts throughout this movie its a good movie 2 watch..i think that the director of this Action & Adventure, Drama, Classics movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its an enjoyable Action & Adventure, Drama, Classics movie 2 watch
October 2, 2008
A crew of English airmen have to bail out over Holland and try to make their way back to England. This wartime film very obviously had a great propaganda value, but surprisingly the bravest people are the Dutch nationals who risk their lives to help the airmen, whilst the Germans are not portrayed as unsympathetically as I had expected. The film is very unusual in having no musical soundtrack, and has a very young Peter Ustinov (who I missed because I never read cast lists before watching films).