The Onion Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Onion Movie Reviews

August 7, 2016
Would have been more palatable in the early 90's, 80's, 70's, ect. Today's children and critics (one and the same?) don't know how to take a joke. This movie is as raunchy and clever like any modern stand up comic, but it seems that small dark comedy clubs are the last refuge for anything that dare not be politically correct. I laughed very, very hard at most of this movie. It makes fun of itself, as does Steven Segal. It starts off plain and simple, but gets into the hardcore stuff before you know it. And that's what we came to see. One of my favorites. If it's too much for you, there are 12 drew Barrymore romcoms coming out next month.
July 10, 2016
Worst movie ever, not secuence at all.
May 2, 2016
Satirical and underappreciated by the wide audience. Multiple viewings or an understanding of the source beforehand will set up an enjoyable experience.
January 3, 2016
Il y a quelques bonnes idées dans ce film à sketches produit par David Zucker (peu surprenant tant The Onion Movie ressemble comme deux gouttes d'eau à Kentucky Fried Movie) et par le journal satirique qui prête son nom au film mais l'ensemble tombe quand même très souvent à l'eau et se complaît dans une grossièreté qui ne parvient pas à cacher la fainéantise de la satire. Dommage, car certains points sont intéressants, Steven Seagal est hilarant (entamant cette auto-parodie qui culmine dans Machete) et le dernier segment très réussi. Dommage qu'il faille subir un océan de médiocrité entre ces bonnes idées.
½ August 6, 2015
A movie that only The Onion could make! A fucking awesome one where nothing has much of anything to do with the rest of anything else.... despite the lack of an overall narrative to drive the movie, this film uses weird sketch after weird sketch that start blending together like an episode of Mr. Show. If you don't laugh out loud a couple times during this movie then you're a humorless prick who needs to get punched in the cock
April 17, 2015
The Onion movie is just a movie filled with
zany sketches done in the style of a Monty Python
episode were one sketch lead directly to another one.
It's not for all tastes and it doesn't have a coherent plot,
at times a bit predictable. Nothing much to say here.
½ November 27, 2014
The Onion is a hilarious comedy news source. But they could not pull off a movie. I admit I did laugh a lot maybe twice but most of just isn't funny. The Penis People and the Neck Belt scenes were great but the movie was just kind of boring. I would recommend to just watch a few clips on YouTube and rent The Frightners instead.
February 11, 2014
Just A Stupid Exercise In What Might Pass For Low-Brow Comedy These Days..Few Laughs..But Still Lame.
December 14, 2013
I really liked this movie, I think it's deeper than it seems!!
Every stereotype is deassembled and reconstructed in such a way that makes me roll on the floor!
October 13, 2013
My friend told me that he thought this movie was really funny, so I watched it, and I found that a lot of it was pretty lame. But, there was some good stuff in it, like the terrorist training video. That was pretty good.

Unlike a lot of the movies that have come out lately, the onion's various wanderings actually go somewhere, unlike bad films like Epic movie or the Disaster Movie, where we have so much worthless crap thrown at us we don't know what to think. The Onion delivers it's various plots in a way you can follow. Although I found the endless pushing of Cockpuncher to be kind of annoying. But, what movie commercial doesn't get annoying after a while.

The Onion isn't a great movie, but it is at least fun and entertaining. It borders on 50 percent for some of the lame stuff, but, there was just enough funny stuff to make it fresh. But, some of this could have easily been done on Saturday night live.

Update 5/14/2013

I watched the Onion again the other day, and Oh my god, it was so boring I almost fell asleep. The stuff that I though was funny the first time around, wasn't nearly as funny as I thought. And a lot of it was very stupid. So no pass.
½ October 6, 2013
A VERY "Kentucky Fried Movie"-esque movie. Sean Conroy was in this along with at least one other local UCB alumnus. Also, apparently was super-cutie Gauge, but I do not remember her. Kinda flat all around. Worn out jokes that arent that funny to start with. Not worth it, besmirches the great Onion name.
September 27, 2013
It was hilarious! People who give it a bad review don't have a sense of humor!!
August 15, 2013
one of the best movie
July 20, 2013
Some very funny moments included and those moments solely make this movie worth watching
June 1, 2013
Inconsistent, but when it hits it hits hard.
May 30, 2013
This movie had some funny parts. But I can't say it was halarious.
May 28, 2013
Hilarious but I like it :) Monty Python US
½ April 9, 2013
It has it's moments, but questionable at best.
April 6, 2013
Cockpuncher! Segal and the Cherry chick were funny, awful story and just gag after gag.