Only God Forgives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Only God Forgives Reviews

December 6, 2017
Incredible and powerful moments, as well as mesmerizing direction from Refn, make Only God Forgives an experience instead of simple, cinematic white noise.
½ November 19, 2017
trailers Catfished me
November 10, 2017
This movie was stupid. Nothing happened in 30 mins. Ryan gosling just started at people and people talked Thai. That was about it. Pass on this one.
November 6, 2017
Okay. I get that the film is unconventional. I get that the point of the story may be very hard to grasp because of the intentionally choppy way of adding dreams and visions. But this movie isn't meant to be straightforward and is meant to make you think and pay attention and I love it. It looks beautiful, sounds beautiful and tells a very unconventional story that ultimately does make sense as long as you commit yourself to the experience. The characters are very hard to really care too much for since they're all metaphors but if you just put yourself in the director's shoes and see that this was intentionally unconventional and more of an experimental arthouse film, then it's a good movie. Not for everyone but for those who truly appreciate film and creativity.
October 17, 2017
Not great on the surface but the deeper world will draw you in and Julian (Ryan Gosling) is a great character to get attached to and has layers to peel back.
½ September 20, 2017
Style over substance.
½ September 12, 2017
Sumamente aburrida, lenta y dificil de entender. A primer solo entendํ que su hermano hizo muy mal, lo mataron y la madre mato al que le mato.
September 11, 2017
An incredible film that requires a lot of thinking in order to fully appreciate.
½ August 15, 2017
A stylishly captivating thriller that is not for the feint of heart. Ryan Gosling plays it cool (maybe too cool) as the troubled main character who seems to hold a deeper meaning (maybe?). All in all, overall I still am not one hundred percent sure on what happened within this choppy film, yet I still found the finer moments of ONGF to be enough to draw me in. The silence of the flick though will be off putting along with the graphic interludes that seem oddly placed. Overall, ONGF is a beautifully constructed film that lures with its sights and sounds. Whether or not the full package delivered has yet to be fully decided upon...
½ July 29, 2017
A very underrated film, although some scenes may be to over the top. Cinematography is beautiful and the story is told excellently without the use of much dialogue
July 26, 2017
The general consensus is that this Nicolas Winding Refn("Drive", "Bronson", "Valhalla Rising", the "Pusher" trilogy) flick fails to live up to its predecessor's("Drive") level and while people applauded "Only God Forgives"'s visual flair, many have criticized its messy narrative and slow pace.

And yes, this film has serious problems in the narrative department and its fairly slow paced, I admit to this. However, "the wisdom of the masses" is wrong(not that it would have been the first time, or smth).

First of all, on a closer look, neither "Drive", nor "Only God Forgives" don't shine, as far as their narratives are concerned. Yes, "Drive" follows a more traditional setup, so the plot is clearer, but it doesn't stand out. What stands out, is the style. Take that away its style and "Drive" becomes a complete waste. The narrative is there only to offer the viewer a sense of familiarity.

And here is where the problems start, as far as "Drive" is concerned. The style is fairly engaging and could have been more so, had it not been interrupted by the "familiar episodes". Yes, they work well enough to trick some viewers into taking them seriously, but they didn't have the same effect on me. I found them frustrating, unconvincing, sometimes laughable even.
And this is why I gave "Drive" a fairly low rating: its craftsmanship is quite remarkable, but it is sabotaged at every turn by cheap and convenient devices and ends up delivering far less than it should have. It isn't a bad film, but a sterile one. It's like that tune that starts out great and then it progresses to something recycled/cliched.

"Only god forgives", on the other hand, throws away all these narrative "pleasantries" and delves deeper into its madness. Yes, it appeals to a smaller audience, but I think Refn knew this from square one, so it's pointless to talk about it.

"Only god forgives" communicates exclusively , photography, inspired soundtrack and thematic shots and, in general, it does a good job.

n the downside, however, this is "undercooked", the dialogue needed some serious improvement(I don't mind that it's vague, but it's also clumsy) and it's too over-the-top for its own good. For example, the restaurant scene with julien, his mother and Mai is embarrassing. Actually, the way Julien mother is written is misguided and unconvincing, to begin with.

Overall, while definitely not a masterpiece, I found this to be far better than people say it is. Yes, Ryan Gosling still offers a bland performance, but here, it kinna works.

My two cents: 3.5/5
July 24, 2017
A chintzy bore, which vaguely uses a half-baked revenge story as an excuse to showcase dull dreamlike sequences interspersed with grisly images. Meant stimulate, but instead just slogs on a hypnotic score, long tracking shots, and dead silence from stiff characters.
½ July 15, 2017
Nicolas Winding Refn's follow up to Drive is even more beautifully shot with striking visuals and amazing uses of lighting and colour. Plot wise, this film has little and it isn't very coherent at times. All of the characters don't seem human, but that's really the point - their violent, criminal lives have sapped all humanity from them. If you can get past that, this film is a beautiful and horrific trip into Winding Refn's mind.
June 4, 2017
This movies only saving grace is the performance of Ryan Gosling
½ June 3, 2017
Stylish but that is about it. Basically a Bangkok themed version of drive for Gosling to preen his way through without saying a word. Only Kristin Thomas delivers in what is a very bland and simple plot.
½ June 2, 2017
Visually excellent but with a story that fits on a beer coaster, director Refn doesn't even try to copy his masterpiece Drive. You gotta admire him for being weird, but this is pretty far out there. The violence is gruesome, the movie slow and with very few words, yet oddly mesmerizing thanks to its colorful images. The ending is pure chaos. You can't help but think: What the hell did I just watch?
½ April 21, 2017
What a powerful movie! Poetic and cruel journey of a shattered soul yearning for a just punishment or even a redemption
April 13, 2017
Refn does it again, I've grown quite the fan of his filmmaking recently with The Neon Demon and now this. I watched Drive some years ago now but I think Drive was more towards mainstream movie go'ers, Only God Forgives doesn't have a lot of dialogue but there doesn't need to be, you follow the story through the stunning visuals and unique cinematography. Artsy and violent is two other words I'd choose to describe this movie, a must watch.
April 10, 2017
This film will become a cult classic, just let the years pass...
March 24, 2017
It's too bad Nicolas Winding Refns' movies has a tendency to attract mentally retarded people.
Not his best film, but greatly underrated.