Only the Strong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Only the Strong Reviews

½ February 24, 2017
Not the greatest martial arts movie ever. But its the only one I've ever heard of that has capoeira front and center. My best friend in high school became fascinated with the fighting style because of Tekken, and somehow we came across this film.

Honestly, its not bad. Yeah it's cliched as all get out, but the action is good, and it has a decent message I think. Of giving way ward kids something to do, and being able to take pride and honor in.
½ April 6, 2015
One of the few PG-13 martial arts flicks from the early 90's that I was able to see as an 11 year old kid (mainly because it wasn't rated R) and was my first exposure to the Brazilian style Capoeira. The fight sequences made up for the weak script.
August 11, 2014
Loved it as a kid.
Of all the 'save the bad inner city kids' movies...this is the best one
Panna-na-wayyyyyyyy
½ June 15, 2014
A very predictable actioner but nonetheless will entice and entertain fans of the genre.
½ April 14, 2014
Interesting fighting movie, I saw this when I was younger and for most of us that saw then it was our first exposure to Capoeira, later a Tekken video game character furthered that exposure. It is pretty cool, but not totally practical, but is fun to look at. The acting is OK to sub par, and the story has been done before, but overall a decent little fighting movie.
January 29, 2014
A surprisingly entertaining film that is able to ride the balance of being made well enough to stay interested and bad enough to be funny. I also found the fighting styles in the film fascinating. This is definitely worth a watch if your into martial arts films.
December 16, 2013
I don't know why people hate this movie, I loved it. Classic martial arts films style cheese. It's basically Dangerous Minds but with Capoera.
November 30, 2013
I remember as a kid there were certain movies that would always seem to be on in the middle of the night. a whole array of B-sided action films that had nobody ive heard of in it, they would be low on story with one conflict and characters with one personalty trait each. Of all of those movies, Only the Strong was the best. Man saves school and town with karate all while teaching lessons of peace and tolorance, another overachieving film.
August 11, 2013
Awesome movie can't wait to have it in my collection
August 10, 2013
Serviceable, if you're in the mood for the sort of thing it is. Lots of cheese and gayness and whatnot. A+
March 3, 2013
Who remember dis movie
February 10, 2013
amazing strengths...physically ..emotionally .. and mentally are shown in this outstanding film
½ December 11, 2012
BA DA NA WAAAAAAAAAY. BA DA NA WAAAAAAA-AAAAAAY
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a look interesting story there.
October 29, 2012
I remember having this on VHS
½ October 28, 2012
It's hard to look tough doing Capoeira. 2011 Movies: 29
October 13, 2012
This movie may have been a bit unbelievable when you get into it, but the introduction the fighting style of Capoeira is what drove the film to its cult status among martial arts movie buffs. weak acting and story line did not help, although if you can get past that, you might agree that the capoeira style fighting can draw you in at least. Lame story - Pretty cool fighting. Give it a try.
September 26, 2012
love this movie could watch it all day