Onmyoji - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Onmyoji Reviews

½ August 25, 2012
poor effects, although Sanada and Ito gave a convincing performance.
August 23, 2012
mostly plodding along, with too many plot elements that were lost on me on a tired evening. a pity they cast sanada as a villain, however ito stole the show as a pure, upright man.
April 28, 2012
This movies is made of Magic and Awesome. Full stop,
½ March 4, 2012
Something is missing beyond the variable quality of the CGI-effects. What's missing is conviction, a sense that these are real people instead of actors in ornate costumes stepping gingerly through antique sets.
½ December 27, 2011
A semi decent period piece. The costumes and sets were wonderful. The acting was mediocre and the pace dragged, but the story itself was very interesting. It just needed to move a little bit faster for my taste.
August 28, 2011
Often hard to tell if certain very campy aspects - e.g. the looks between Seimei and Hiromasa, the CGI, Doson's maniacal laughing - were intended as half-jokes, or are just really that campy.
May 22, 2011
Cheesy effects and cheesier characters and plot for a fun japanese flick complete with: evil mad laughter, b-prosthetics zombie, shinto exorcisms, almost crossgendered buddies interplay, butterfly yokai with "mushi"-sized brain. Far from mundane.
½ August 14, 2010
I really love this film! Think Harry Potter meets The Last Samurai. Not perfect, but a very talented cast who seem to really care about the characters and the story they're telling. Very entertaining.
August 10, 2010
being a real fan of heian-era japanese novels, i completely enjoyed the luscious clothing and fabulous recreations of the heian era.
May 18, 2010
The story is somewhat confusing, but you get the idea anyway. But the story and action kept me entertained. should watch this!
April 12, 2010
Everything was so wierdly beautiful. Nomura
½ February 26, 2010
A.K.A. The Yin Yang Master, which sounds a bit rubbish. However, my wish to see this did not lead in me being disappointed. The effects and acting aren't always great, but they more than get the job done. In places it is slow paced, but I found the storyline interesting enough to overcome that, and the sets and costumes were really rather special. For me, the highlight was the appearance of a hannya, for which the make up was actually rather good.
½ October 22, 2009
There are a lot of very strange things going on with this movie. Though it has a kind of mystic quality about itself (not to mention a cheeky sense of humor), the very basic nature of its story however really makes you jump a few hurdles, especially if you're not familiar with some of the cultural barriers. Similarly, it suffers from a number of technical deficiencies that shouldn't be a problem today, giving it that "made-for-TV" look. Whoops.
½ August 31, 2009
Recommend to watch it. Thumbs up...
January 17, 2009
A very well done movie based on Japanese Mythology. If you enjoy Japanese culture, especially their stories of demons, check out this movie.
October 12, 2008
I was entertained. Always intrigued by Japanese mythology and story-telling. Bits were totally cheesy, but even that was entertaining.
½ August 1, 2008
A bit heavy on the cheese, but definately cool.
½ July 9, 2008
Interesting Japanese Occult Movie
March 19, 2008
Own it thanks to Bill buying me an early christmas present! next year its Onmyoji 2!! THANKS BILL