Opa! Reviews

• Jan 05, 2015

I like Matthew Modine, I like archaeology films and I like movies about quaint little tavernas with lots of dancing. This has all three, yet pretty much sucks. Meh.

• Dec 25, 2012

Once again, I must disagree with the critics, because I found Opa! to be a charming little flick whose slower pace reflects the slower Mediterranean way of life and the great message of a man putting aside his own ambition to make the woman he loves happy. I liked the way Matthew Modine changes from being an awkward, uptight American to becoming a character who finally realizes that fame and his father's dream won't make him happy and content in life. I also really liked the lovely Greek island scenery, the radiant, spirited Agni Tsangaridou's performance, and the little town's colorful characters, especially the three old ladies in black, who always have pithy things to say about other people's business. Cute, enjoyable movie.

• Dec 29, 2011

Beautiful Greek scenery. that's about it.

Beautiful Greek scenery. that's about it.

• Jul 19, 2011

I watched this for the sole reason that I wanted to enjoy some eye candy of Greece. Mission accomplished. The cinematography is good & provides nice scenes of beautiful Patmos. Otherwise, this is trite, corny, and chock full of stereotypes. The American character, played by Matthew Modine (I hadn't realized his career had degenerated enough that he would agree to do this film), is -- as the white, often blond, American males so often are -- uptight, unpleasant, and obsessed with his professional success (which also relates to his Daddy Issues). You already know the rest of the story: the passionate, independent, free-spirited local woman (the Love Interest, of course); the passionate, macho, ultimately somewhat cretinous local men; the sleazy & greedy local official; the sympathetic alcoholic British colleague; the "Greek chorus" of nosey, quarrelsome, & sex-obsessed old women. Love with the Mediterranean sexpot loosens up the stiff Anglo & makes him realize that there are more important things in life than his robotic dedication to his destructive professional goals . . . although how all this resolves is outstandingly improbable.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Mar 14, 2011

Cute, feel-good movie with beautiful scenery. I really enjoyed this, and it was good to see Matthew Modine in something fun. I have always liked him, but his movies seem to be hit or miss.

• Feb 18, 2011

with an Indie feel, it was not the most exciting film... but a sweet story (with beautiful scenery) nonetheless! I personally enjoyed it a lot, due to my Greek family, and the desire to travel there someday.

• Feb 14, 2011

I can't figure out whether this is a vehicle film for Modine, Tsangaridou, or the Greek Islands. I was inclined to say it must be for Modine since he has the longer film career than Tsangaridou. Except then I realized that by this logic, it must be a vehicle film for Greece. Which makes sense, since the landscape shots are the most memorable part of the film! Lightweight, predictable plot with shallow characters. Tsangaridou shows potential. Modine doesn't. Skip the movie, buy a bottle of ouzo and spend 90 minutes Googling images of the Greek isles. You'll be glad you did!

• Oct 16, 2009

The only reason I watched this movie is that I was the projectionist assigned to perform the technical screening of this film before it opened. It is an extremely predictable romantic comedy about an uptight American who travels to Greece, falls in love with a woman, and then proves his love by showing a powerpoint presentation to the townspeople on an 18" CRT television. This is as entertaining as it sounds. This movie (which managed to earn itself a pitiful '10% fresh' rating on Rotten Tomatoes), was an independent film that was actually released in 2005. The actual distribution company was Cinedigm, a company normally responsible for packaging up ads and such and sending them to DLP-equipped movie theaters via satellite. My guess is that the only reason that this movie was released at all is because it could be sent to theaters via satellite (rather than printed on film or copied to a hard drive and sent via UPS). Given that this is a very inexpensive thing to do, nobody will lose money if the movie fails to perform. This is a good thing, as this movie will fail to perform to even the lowest expectations.