Open Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Open Water Reviews

June 23, 2016
Interesting concept: by somewhat unbelievable circumstances a couple are stranded in the middle of the ocean, while nature waits in the distance preparing to attack. Although I enjoy the realism, this concept doesn't hold my attention for the short running time. Watch the non-Disney Frozen instead
½ June 20, 2016
Tediously long and excruciatingly painful to endure movie all leading up to a super sucky ending. Pray there is no sequel!
April 15, 2016
Taps into a ubiquitous primal fear: being stranded in the middle of the ocean.
February 4, 2016
a very different dive into the human psyche. however, not for everyone. Definitely blair witch on the water but if you liked blair witch project its worth a look
½ January 29, 2016
Genuinely good, I'm surprised it didn't get more acknowledgement. Slow, but the use of suspense is really effective. Also the two characters are in a very healthy, adorable and supportive relationship considering the circumstances (not the point, but still exists.)
½ January 28, 2016
Por isso que adoro filmes de baixo orçamento. Tudo se resume a uma direção competente e atuações idem. Sem pirotecnia que distraia suas falhas. Notável por prender a atenção por tanto tempo numa locação tão limitada.
January 18, 2016
Open Water was impeccable garbage. And was so for a number of reasons not short of including things such as, but not limited to; the world's dumbest and most stupid people. The latter of the plot is just completely horrible and stupid. Our married main characters are so stupid, especially the guy and the film just wastes so much time and it's so boring. Pass this film immediately and don't look back!
January 14, 2016
Happend again, news Jan 2016, Long Beach. 'Sundiver' scuba company.
December 13, 2015
I don't understand why only 32% of Flixster users thought this was a good movie. Too often arrogant people don't like a movie because it's not what they wanted. Put yourselves in these characters shoes!.....or.....flippers.... Maybe the director should have targeted in more on the emotions of the couples last few hours together in the water to give the audience more investment in them.
November 4, 2015
Corny but entertaining :)
October 30, 2015
Taps into everybody's primal fear: being stranded in the middle of the ocean.
October 19, 2015
Sad and true story with that horror feeling it has. What a shame for people to had died that way after a way to go and try to have a little fun.
October 14, 2015
A truly frightening film. This could happen to anyone. Good unknown actors. scary.
½ October 10, 2015
another low-budget bottle film that makes the open ocean very scary
a married couple goes on vacation and go scuba diving but get left behind accidentally and have to deal with surviving in the vast emptiness of water
many of the dangers they face involve sharks, stingrays, no sense of directions, dehydration, and starvation
losing their cool is also one of the big risks if they want to survive
the shaky cam here can get really disorienting but it succeeds making the viewer be a part of the horror of being lost at sea with no help whatsoever
in a very short amount of time it's very scary that the isolation and hopelessness can perhaps kill you faster
½ August 14, 2015
This is the stuff great survival horror is made of. The low-budget feel elicits a true sense of helplessness -- something that most genre pics fail to do. Sadly, some poor dialogue and a rushed ending keep it from being a classic.
½ August 5, 2015
Those who were left bored and underwhelmed upon viewing this film simply must not be afraid of the ocean. This movie is made of pure terror and suspense. I found myself constantly holding my breath.
½ July 29, 2015
Low budget winner that has a simple dread filled terror that's so effective you feel your there with them.
July 14, 2015
Not the best acted or ploted film, but it does give you a great set up and what it might actually feel like to be stuck in the ocean, surrounded by sharks.
½ June 23, 2015
Open Water earns points for its technical creativity while working around a shoe-string budget, but story-wise, it falls short.
May 24, 2015
Really good, on the edge of my seat the whole time--don't watch if you are afraid of the ocean! I'll never swim in it again!