Open Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Open Water Reviews

October 14, 2015
A truly frightening film. This could happen to anyone. Good unknown actors. scary.
½ October 10, 2015
another low-budget bottle film that makes the open ocean very scary
a married couple goes on vacation and go scuba diving but get left behind accidentally and have to deal with surviving in the vast emptiness of water
many of the dangers they face involve sharks, stingrays, no sense of directions, dehydration, and starvation
losing their cool is also one of the big risks if they want to survive
the shaky cam here can get really disorienting but it succeeds making the viewer be a part of the horror of being lost at sea with no help whatsoever
in a very short amount of time it's very scary that the isolation and hopelessness can perhaps kill you faster
½ August 14, 2015
This is the stuff great survival horror is made of. The low-budget feel elicits a true sense of helplessness -- something that most genre pics fail to do. Sadly, some poor dialogue and a rushed ending keep it from being a classic.
½ August 5, 2015
Those who were left bored and underwhelmed upon viewing this film simply must not be afraid of the ocean. This movie is made of pure terror and suspense. I found myself constantly holding my breath.
½ July 29, 2015
Low budget winner that has a simple dread filled terror that's so effective you feel your there with them.
July 14, 2015
Not the best acted or ploted film, but it does give you a great set up and what it might actually feel like to be stuck in the ocean, surrounded by sharks.
½ June 23, 2015
Open Water earns points for its technical creativity while working around a shoe-string budget, but story-wise, it falls short.
May 24, 2015
Really good, on the edge of my seat the whole time--don't watch if you are afraid of the ocean! I'll never swim in it again!
May 18, 2015
Before Silent House, Chris Kentis and Laura Lau made a low budget shark movie that's surprisingly way better than Silent House, and it's a shark movie too nonetheless. The acting is not A game here, but it's still really good. It's really interesting, and there were some moments where I jumped. The conversations the two main character had are really good and might be something that people would actually talk about when they're in the same situation. The effects are nicely done from what the movie has got, and it's shotted really well consider that it's a low budget one. The actors must've been really brave to be in the ocean with lots of sharks as I wouldn't even do that even if they want me too. Open Water is not perfect, but it's not trying to be and is more or less trying to be an entertaining shark movie which it surprisingly worked in a realistic way.
April 25, 2015
Not good or bad, just.....sad. :*-(
April 19, 2015
simple and very effective
April 11, 2015
So low-budget but SO frightening. This movie is the reason I will NEVER go scuba diving till the day I die.
April 1, 2015
Open Water is based on the true story of a husband and wife who decide to take an ill-fated scuba-diving vacation. When they surface, they find their boat is gone and that they are now adrift at sea. It isn't long before the elements start to take their toll and hungry sharks show up.

The film has a real intensity and epic feeling to it. The way Open Water handled the story and the character's choices made it feel like this was all fate, and the two couldn't avoid it. Blanchard Ryan plays Susan (who has a completely unnecessary but appreciated scene of nudity) and Daniel Travis plays Daniel, the doomed couple in the film. They both put on convincing and tragic performances (and Daniel has the best reaction in the film).

Real Sharks are used in this film, in fact there is no CGI at all...thank God. The film was shot on a budget of $130,000 and it shows (It has a very home movies-style look). Honestly though, I think the low budget ended up enhancing the film, as it all looks and feels more realistic. The soundtrack chosen for the film is incredibly effective as well. It is expertly directed by Chris Kentis, and it was written, edited and partially shot by him as well. He seems to know what he's doing. Open Water is a terrifying, incredibly dark film that deals with themes of fate and man vs. nature. I would say it's a masterpiece.
January 20, 2015
This film has the most pointless nude scene of all time. Apart from that it has an incompetent boat operator, lots of sharks and a lawsuit written all over it.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
True story movie about a couple who are out in the sea with sharks around them. It was filmed like a tv documentary almost , felt like it. Okey movie to watch but no normal horror movie like jaws etc.
December 28, 2014
If you want an hour and 19 minutes of pure boredom, then this is the movie for you.
½ August 26, 2014
One word: Bleak
One more word: Bleak
Some films have happy endings.
Some films have not so happy endings.
Some films leave you waiting despairingly my for the arrival of death.
Can you guess which applies to this film?
August 3, 2014
Very real, to its benefit and its fault.
July 26, 2014
this movie was a disappointment, both main characters dying? not a good movie
½ July 3, 2014
The believability of the human drama is what helps create tension and a sense of helplessness in this low budget thriller that effectively increases as the film progresses.