Opera Jawa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Opera Jawa Reviews

September 27, 2013
When classic javanesee musical theatre into a movie, STUNNING..!!
½ October 28, 2011
Very beautiful! Cultural and artistic! It's indeed slow but it just shows the culture of Javanese that is slow. What I like about this movie is that even though it is very artistic and focus more on visual then story, but the story is also going on very clearly. One may be confused with all the metaphors going on, but one would understand at some point what is going on (confusing huh?). Anyway, I don't really like the part that is combining the Hindu tradition and Javanese tradition. It is probably just because it is based on an Indian story, but however, Javanese are mostly Muslims. The whole Hindu thing made it look more like Balinese... Artika Sari Devi is a really good choice as Siti, she has this very Javanese exotic sweet face that I've always admired since she became Puteri Indonesia. Eko Supriyanto did the best job in the whole movie. I think he's a brilliant dancer and he really got into his role. I didn't give full 5 stars just because it is a little bit boring for me since it's very slow. I guess it's boring for most people, but it gets intense in the end. Overall, this movie is great and recommended especially for artists.
½ August 5, 2011
Beautiful Movie..!

Garin Nugroho is one of the best directors owned Indonesia!
the other films him is "Under the Tree"
very worth for the watch.
December 7, 2010
simbolismenya mantap, artistik!
½ March 30, 2010
Even as an Indonesian, i didn't wholly understand the symbolism within it, all i knew that it was a musical adaptation (no, don't expect Hollywood kind of musical, the whole dialogues are sung in Javanese traditional chanting, yes, a Javanese musical) of Ramayana. But overall it was quite an experience, love how the directors, Garin Nugroho puts social issues Indonesians have to face in their general life, such as poverty and interprets it beautifully in form of dances with gorgeous and evocatively enchanting cinematography. I would not recommend it to general viewers, but if you still want to watch it, do some research about the Abduction of Sinta from Ramayana and Indonesian culture. But if you love film as medium of art, you'll be pleased.
½ March 29, 2010
Beautifully composed and filled with fantastic performances, this film does a great job of heightening the atmosphere of everyday village surroundings and actors in their usual costume by focusing on the combination of expression, song and movement. A few simple props, little camera movement, the occasional screen or background chorus provide an operatic atmosphere that is highly engaging.

This smaller Ramayana story itself is simple enough to follow, but although the portrayals of certain characters and cultural associations clearly go much deeper - a casual watcher is rewarded as well. The Gamelan orchestra is excellent, in line with the talent of the production design. Some may see it as too Westernized, others as wildly exotic. The only real problem I found was in the quality of the English subtitles, and the sometimes awkward transitions.
½ April 29, 2009
Very operatic as you would expect and a liking for this art will certainly enhance enjoyment, but in terms of film it is a very colourful window on the cultural heritage of Indonesia.
April 29, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch..its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that martinus miroto, artika sari devi, eko supriyanto, nyoman sure, jecko siompo pui, retno maruti play good roles/parts throughout this movie...i think that the director of this musical/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its really well filmed/acted..its a good movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie
April 16, 2009
Incredible. A modern day Thai retelling of the epic Ramayan done opera style. BLISS
March 29, 2009
I'm not sure what possessed me to watch this. I don't like opera, and that's exactly what this movie is. Not only opera, but Thai opera (I think). I kind of got the story, but it there was too much interpretive dance for me. The woman seemed to have some strange obsession with a pointy straw container, as large ones would chase her around in every other scene. I guess it's worth watching if you like opera, but I didn't.
February 24, 2009
i dont know why but some of the lines made me laugh out loud, and i have never seen an indonesian movie as poetic as this one. perfect musical. these are the people that i call artists... not those who only sell their faces not their talent. mas garin, make more movie like this please!!! and also, totally a test for me to not look at the subtitles, but listening to its original javanese dialogues.... im still not that good....
November 5, 2008
disamping ga beredar di bioskop, aga susah nyari VCD/DVD nya,
September 7, 2008
Very esoteric movie based heavily on non-islamic Javanese culture. The story is very simple, but this movie is more about style than plots. Extremely slow but you can't apply Hollywood pace here. One of very few Indonesian movies that made it to world stage; definitely more needs to come from this very underrated culturally rich, exotic part of the world.
May 13, 2008
a greatest Indonesian film achievement!
½ April 12, 2008
A visually and musically stunning Javanese opera from Indonesia's Gurin Nugroho. While the music is a little out there, I like the interpretive dance number. Recommended.
½ April 8, 2008
It is enormously dissapointing. For such a high-profile Indonesian movie, I feel that it doesn't deliver its purpose - the writing is a bit messy, the visuals are only half entertaining, but most of all, everything seems to built into something but nothing great ever happened. The only thing that's worth mentioning about is the music.
½ April 6, 2008
It's a bit strange, too poetic, make me a bit bored sometime but I like the idea of the dance and the song, just like Moulin Rouge version Javanese
½ March 23, 2008
definitely too exotic.
February 1, 2008
I really want to see this - with Javanese gamelan music and tembang singing. Most likely not for everyone, but if you like Central Javanese music and dance, the scenes look tempting. Also, I've played music for Mas Miroto and Mas Eko on several occasions in the US - both are superb dancers.
January 20, 2008
u must understand the culture, social politics behind it and also tradition of native java people. The best and most enjoyable contemporary film that I ever had