Opera Jawa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Opera Jawa Reviews

January 17, 2008
I've heard great things about this. Consider my interest piqued.
December 4, 2007
beautiful singing, scenery, colours, dancers and singers who are competent actors
November 12, 2007
I really wanted this to be good, but it's pure rubbish. To be fair to the actors, their performances weren't bad, it's just a terrible film. I kept hoping for some amazing dancing to happen, but it never did. Disappointing one...
September 23, 2007
no lines, only tembang,
fantastic choreography,
stunning pictures!
½ September 22, 2007
A feast for the eyes with wonderful dance coreography, stunning scenery and lively colors. But the story line is simple and very slow moving. The characters don't speak, and only sing in Javanese. Definitely not for everybody.
September 19, 2007
good film. good picture.
so theatrical and musical film.
many symbols so quite confusing. so it is not like commercial film. that's garin! yeah an arts work
for somebody who misses javanese song and lyrics... and beautiful setting around java
we could just being hypnotized... with the beauty places... the song and lyrics... it depends ( sleep or serious with the film)
haha :)
September 16, 2007
How Come Hollywood never called Garin Nugroho to direct one of it's movie? He could become the next Ang Lee, or better yet, created a whole new standard for independent directors.....or maybe he had!!!!
September 13, 2007
Aesthetically wonderful but apart from that, all of it, including the music, I find supremely boring.
September 12, 2007
A film so exotic, so alien, so obviously beamed in from another planet to the rest of the week's releases as to need not subtitles, but a tour guide to interpret it... What any of it means remains open to question, and possibly beside the point: the spectacle is dazzling, even if the film itself practically redefines the term "special interest".
August 12, 2007
Ya was worth it for the aesthetic value, rather than the engaging story line. Definitely not difficult to gaze at Artika Sari Devi (Indonesian Miss Universe) for 2 hours, and enjoy the different interpretations of classical Indonesian arts.
½ June 24, 2007
No, not a STAR WARS musical, but two straight hours of Indonesian interpretive dance! Come on, you know you want to...
½ June 13, 2007
not good at all, and wtf is it with the dancing hats?????
June 12, 2007
Saw this at the Sydney Film Festival.. And as expected, it turned out to be a movie requiring a lot of focus.. a type of movie where in the end leaves so many questions.. luckily for us, Garin was present to answer a few.. It was a movie with many artistic features, symbolizations, and interpretations.. I'm not saying you have to be a theatre student to enjoy the film.. although i did understand the meaning behind Opera Jawa.. "jealousy leads to nothing but war.." at least that was what Garin told us.. as he attempted to sprinkle some of that fact on the old Ramayana tale.. personally for me, i think it's a message that many people are too familiar with.. i don't know, maybe i had higher expectations.. other then that, he did a great job..
June 11, 2007
even more random, but still more beautiful.
June 6, 2007
Caught this at Spore Intl Film Fest. Q+A with Garin helped to appreciate it more. It's like a subverted wayang kulit, ketoprak musical! Garin insisted that it's more of a celebration of Indonesia's diverse form of arts (dance, contemporary art and theatre), rather than a real narrative tragedy. Still - a visual and musical feast!
May 5, 2007
sip dah ada di flixster

nyari2 nih film dimana ya, brother2 dari indo...

ada info dvd ori atau vcd orinya kaga???