Reviews

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Nov 25, 2013

Gah... When awful B-Movies take themselves seriously... There's a couple of positive points sure. Johnathin Schaech (The Washingtonians, Prom Night [2008], Quarantine, Fear Itself: The Circle, Laid to Rest) in the lead has done some pretty cool stuff, Erica Leerhsen (above - Wrong Turn 2: Dead End, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [2003], Book of Shadows: Blair WItch 2) has too, and Terence Jay (Green Street Hooligans, Buried Alive) is always value for money. None of the actors were appalling, but these 3 stood out the most, and they didn't stand out all that much. It's a pretty cool premise, though also one of the least original. Long ago military makes a secret virus/organism. Years later stupid guys who won't listen 'cause they're all big and tough let it out near a small, rural U.S. town, the main characters need to find a way to stop the army nuking the place and making everything worse. Unfortunately when you get shafted with a low budget there's only so much you can do with it, and in plenty of instances the CGI suffers massively for it. But I mean come on, with a budget of $4,500,000 I'd think there could have been a liiiittle more effort put in. For the most part it's okay-ish, but there's a couple of scenes that are disturbingly terrible. Living Hell lacks anything that can define it as worth watching any more so than the thousands of other dodgy B-Movie horrors made with little care out there. But if that's what you're into, may as well give it spin. 32% -Gimly

• Apr 19, 2013

This was pretty good for what it was. If you go watch this expecting a masterpiece of sci fi or horror, you're going to be very disappointed. Take it for what it is you might be pleasantly surprised. Its a solid piece of sci fi cheese with some pretty decent virus creature effects. The acting is decent enough and wasn't bored anywhere in this whole movie. A step up above the usual sci fi channel movie.

• Dec 16, 2012

Posted on 7/03/08 12:49 AM This is one movie I couldn't wait for it to be over. Actors just made me want to punch myself in the face! CG effects were just awful so fake looking! One scene right at the end was total green scene when running back into the miltary base...just terrible! I do have to admit the final scene seemed where all the time and money went into the special effects, good job at the end!

• Dec 06, 2011

I'm not entirely sure why I enjoyed this as much as I did, because it is not a particularly good movie. The effects are lacking, the script isn't very good, and it isn't the most groundbreaking story. That said, there is something strangely effective about it, particularly the first half. I think what elevates it a bit is its atmosphere. It does have a fairly creepy vibe. The idea of the U.S military loosing track of all its Cold War projects is intriguing, and it is utilized pretty effectively. The actors are as good as they can be with the wooden script their given. The creature is an interesting concept as well, as it sort of breaks away from the traditional creature feature. The second half tends to drag, but not to the point of complete standstill. Overall, a pretty decent little low budget horror movie that steps outside the norm for such films.

• Oct 06, 2011

• Jacob P Super Reviewer
    Sep 25, 2011

I sorta liked it. It's got an awesome story, an some pretty descent acting if you ask me. The antagonist was the main thaing that I love about this film, though. I loved it!

• Jul 17, 2011

• Jun 14, 2011

Exactly by the numbers every step of the way. Mainly boring with occasional moments. Opening that old vault was the best part.

• Jan 13, 2011

I'm not entirely sure why I enjoyed this as much as I did, because it is not a great movie. The effects are lacking, the script isn't very good, and it isn't the most groudbreaking story. That said, there is something strangely effective about it, particularly the first half. I think what elevates it a bit is its atmosphere. It does have a fairly creepy vibe. The idea of the U.S military loosing track of all its Cold War projects is intriguing, and it is utilized pretty effectively. The actors are as good as they can be with the wooden script their given. The creature is an interesting concept as well, as it sort of breaks away from the traditional creature feature. The second half tends to drag, but not to the point of complete standstill. Overall, a pretty decent little low budget horror movie that steps outside the norm for such films.

• Jan 09, 2011

This was mildly entertaining at best, and the plot was incredibly overdone. It was watchable, mostly, but don't expect to see anything new or innovative. Also, the effects are typical of a low-budget film, so if that's not your thing, definitely skip this one.