The Original Kings of Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Original Kings of Comedy Reviews

January 7, 2017
I've seen this several times and every time I watch it, it's like seeing it for the first time....ROTFLMAO funny!
½ April 26, 2016
Spike Lee's unorthodox camera angles and chatty Cathy behind the scenes excerpts bog down this stand up feature that has good enough material from its stars it doesn't need any extra depth.
June 7, 2015
I Don't Like Stand-Up Comedy.
½ June 1, 2015
Insulting.......and funny as hell.
February 4, 2015
OM Goodness...I watch this as much as I can, Bernie Mac, Cedric the Entertainer, and Steve Harvey had me under the table. I never laughed so hard; my sides ached to the point of crying. Bernie Mac will go down in history as the funniest comedian ever. Comedy is such a great genre, it keeps things on an even keel, and everyone relaxed. If only....Steve Harvey...wow, no matter where...his show Steve Harvey, or Family Feud, his movies or books; Steve keeps itvreal.
now, has taken that spot but Bernie is the favorite. Miss the Mac man. If Steve and Cedric want to do another comedy show...let me know; better yet where do I buy tickets.
December 11, 2013
This movie is great......Lol
½ October 3, 2013
This is something you pop into your DVD player when you feel down and need a real laugh or if some of your friends who know what real comedy is. all except Cedric the Entertainer's set which was way to long and not that funny hence 4.5
September 23, 2013
A large portion of the humour stays in the familiar territory, commenting on the ever-expanding differences between black people and white people. Don't get me wrong, funny jokes can still be made in relation to this subject and some were but it was mainly these ones which let D.L Hughley down in particular. Harvey's segment old skool music was fresh and original. It was nice that he ventured outside the comedic element a bit, getting the audience on their feet, grooving to some old skool tunage. Cedric was good and significantly better than Harvery and Hughley, but the stand up that stood out was Bernie Mac....BY FAR. Film was probably hovering around a 3 star before he jumped on it. Constant laughter. And by the time he reached the stuttering kid part; he had me gasping for air. Too much.
½ August 9, 2013
How dare they! How dare these hacks call themselves the "Original Kings of Comedy". That is the funniest thing they have ever said.
June 24, 2013
Baffled by the good reviews.

Four comedians, same four topics:

1. How "country" and unsophisticated their black audience must be there in the Carolina show.
2. The importance of having a strong grandmother, preferably who periodically hits you.
3. How their music (old school) is superior to newer, black music. Well, we agree on this, but that's not the point.
4. How white people look terribly uncomfortable at the concert. Gee, I wonder why?

Honestly, there was a fifth topic they all beat to death, but I can't recall it, and won't rewatch the video.

If you want to see genius comedy, catch Eddy Murphy's 1987 concert "Raw." He was 26, and absolutely a master of the game. The Kings are the masters of a very small country that interests me not.

(Posted the same review on Netflix.)
March 28, 2013
funny stuff gr8 laugh fest
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ November 5, 2012
Plenty of proganity and sometimes funny.
½ October 31, 2012
A very funny movie, though Harvey and Hughley ain't funny but Cedric and Bernie carry the film.
September 20, 2012
R.I.P. To the great Bernie Mac
August 7, 2012
I watch this at least once every 6 months and it never gets old. Its hilarious. They were all really good. I liked bernie mac the best
July 26, 2012
Original kings of comedy?Neither original nor kings seems to fit into this equation at all. Pryor, Carlin, Cosby,Bruce, Rickles ....those are original kings of comedy....hell even Martin and Murphy came before them.....so I'm dumbfounded how these guys can call themselves "original". Also, was the material written by Spike Lee cause its like 70 percent white people jokes. I'm surprised there isn't any jokes about jews or the indiana pacers.
June 29, 2012
So according to Spike Lee, black people (and only black people) created stand-up comedy...there's a shocker. These 4 men have a legacy and are very funny, but this is more bias work than informative art.
½ June 18, 2012
Who hasn't memorized a line from this one! Classic!
May 23, 2012
I would like to see it and the Queens of Comedy