Oscar Nominated Live Action Shorts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oscar Nominated Live Action Shorts Reviews

February 10, 2014
Diverse and interesting. A new experience for me. Difficult to choose.
February 17, 2013
Movie from Afghanistan
½ February 17, 2013
One decent movie...the rest just sucked
½ February 11, 2013
None of them were really good.
½ February 9, 2013
The first three were really good!
February 4, 2013
Always enjoy watching these. I missed last years though. This years batch has one pretty weak entry, (the 4th one about the kids in Afghanistan). But all the others are worth watching. My favorite was the last one, Asad.
April 2, 2012
Each is worth a watch, the best was Tuba Atlantic, followed by Raju, Time Freak, Pentecost and lastly The Shore.
½ March 8, 2012
My favorite one of the bunch was Raju, but all of them were enjoyable to an extent. I thought the one that won the Oscar, The Shore, was one of the weaker ones, even though it features Ciaran Hinds, whom I really like as an actor.
½ March 4, 2012
A pretty good fix of shorts that spanned the range of comedy and drama. Thought Raju was the best but of course Oscar-baity The Shore won the Oscar.
½ February 25, 2012
Significantly less interesting than last year. However, the heartfelt humor of The Shore was realistically pleasing. The quirky, laugh out loud, almost college humor of Time Freak was welcomed though I think not a winning short. I'd give this win to Tuba Atlantic for its seagull bashing comedy, strange relationship, fantasy like ending all included in the theme of death and/or the completion of life, love of family.
February 24, 2012
5 great films. 3 are about 25 minutes long and are better than most of the best picture nominees.
½ February 21, 2012
Usually, after watching the Oscar shorts, I'm optimistic about the future of cinema. This year's bite-sized Oscar fare was deeply underwhelming. Most of the shorts were well-intentioned, but executed poorly. Nothing of the brilliance of Andrea Arnold's Wasp for example, just an ad-hoc collection of whimsical or pseudo-exotic tragedy. Though there is nothing awful, the most depressing part is the lack of imagination and playfulness cinema is capable of - something shorts usually like to experiment with.
½ February 20, 2012
Mini-reviews of the 4 I saw...
(B+) "Pentecost" - Fun, stylish short film that showcases a rising talent with Peter McDonald.
(A) "Raju"- Striking, important piece of work. Fantastic cast, great film-making.
(B) "The Shore" - Nice little piece of a homecoming dramedy. Hinds turns in another solid performance.
(A-) "Time Freak" - Smart semi-sci-fi comedy. These guys would make a hysterical feature-length project.
February 19, 2012
'raju' and 'time freak' were the only ones i really enjoyed. my mom would live the irish content.
February 16, 2012
I bet on "The Shore" although everyone of them was SO WELL MADE! Time well spent I say - making it or watching it.
½ February 13, 2012
None of them really grabbed me. I would predict the Pixar short animation will win the Oscars.
February 13, 2012
A little disappointing - my favourite was "Raju".
February 12, 2012
Shorts were better last year.
February 11, 2012
I enjoyed the Norwegian one best, but I've been on a Norwegian fiction kick.