Oslo, August 31st - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oslo, August 31st Reviews

July 8, 2014
Deliberately paced, but rewarding in the end, Oslo August 31st is a film about breaking patterns and starting over. Director Joachim Trier allows the audience to look in on the day in the life of Anders, a man battling drug addiction. The entire film is a journey filled with the hope that Anders will beat his addiction. With great performers and a strong script, Trier earns every moment in the film, refusing to fall into plot contrivances along the way. It won't work for everyone, because of its slow pace, but if you're willing to stick with it, Oslo August 31st will reward you.
June 15, 2014
The film is so painfully authentic, hopeless and depressing that I DON'T recommend it to those who suffer from depression themselves!
June 8, 2014
Anders não está tendo um bom par de dias.
½ April 12, 2014
A poignant character study and sad story about a 34-years old man trying to get his life back after suffering from drug addiction.

This-"can we escape from our dark past?"-concept reminds me of John Crowley's BOY A.

Anders Danielson Lie gives a remarkable performance in this haunting drama.
February 7, 2014
A superbly acted character study into depression, addiction & the context into which we all place ourselves in order to compare us to others. Excellently shot with a well written script this is a moving, sometimes intense, film.
Harlequin68
½ January 26, 2014
"Oslo, August 31st" starts on the day before, as Anders(Anders Danielsen Lie) wakes up next to Malin(Malin Crepin). After which he goes for a walk before trying to drown himself. When that does not take, he goes back to the recovery house where he has been staying to get cleaned up and put on his dress sneakers for a job interview that day. Before which, he meets with Thomas(Hans Olav Brenner) and Rebecca(Ingrid Olava), two of Anders' friends from his party days.

"Oslo, August 31st" is a downbeat character study of somebody who has self-medicated for his depression and now finds that life has passed him by, with him not being the only one in that precarious position. The reality is that it is not over and that he can turn it around, even if he has blown his original advantages. The question remains how much he may want to without his ex-girlfriend Iselin. The movie remains ambiguous about whether the breakup caused his current extreme behavior or whether the behavior drove Iselin thousands of miles away. Just keep in mind that Anders' sister is not currently talking to him, either.
January 13, 2014
Besides the awful pessimistic thesis this film puts forward, that a 34 year old recovering addict has no chance of ever having a good life, I found the film itself irredeemably bleak. Not that I need a happy ending, to be sure, but this seemed little more than a very sad documentary.
ElCochran90
December 30, 2013
"If someone wants to destroy himself, society should allow him to do so."

Opening with a Resnais perspective about the entrails of a city and its inhabitants, developing the story with a Moodysson-like minimalist and introspective style, and concluding with an Antonioni fashion, Oslo, 31. august is a depressing character study of a man's weaknesses and his incapability to cope with a society that has condemned him so much for reasons that we are never mentioned so that we do not have any moral or judgmental bias beforehand.

Human hipocrisy is endless. Man thinks he is the perfect juror of the world, even assigning degrees of seriousness to immoral acts, but forgets about his own faults, like if one particular act could be condemned more than another. Anders is a man with an addiction. Either it was his addiction or his personality (most probably both) the ones that caused negative repercussions on the lives of those closest to him. Some decidions taken during his evening leave were driven by emotions rather than carefully premeditated; however, his main intentions are honorable no less than they are important. Few people are capable of going through an addiction; surprisingly enough (hear this), even less people are brave enough to look at themselves in the mirror, accept their condition and face the ghosts of their pasts in order to make ammends and fix their mistakes.

The ending is impactful just as it is fair; maybe because we are used to a satisfying resolution that ties all loose ends, we are afraid of leaving the theater or walking away from our chair with a negative feeling, but that's life. Just when I was an inch away from rating this half a star or maybe even a full star lower than a "perfect score" because the film had left so many emotional bonds and past situations to our imagination so that empathizing with the feelings of the main character became a more difficult task, the ending clarified all doubts for me:

They don't matter. He is a human being after all. It is in the final 6-minute shot in which we know him even better than the rest of the movie had allowed us to do.

97/100
December 29, 2013
- I'm a spoilt brat who fucked up.

- If you're unsentimental about it,
nobady needs me. Not really.
½ December 19, 2013
Oslo, August 31st delivers a natural and unelaborate (yet dense) portrait of hopelessness that is so French New Wave, it might give you a fit of Godard déjà vu.
*3/4*
December 9, 2013
A true, down to earth look on the life of an addict and all the social barriers that it implies. The movie remains true to its sober style but lacks in entertainment and plot. It drifts away with its main and only interesting actor, leaving many times its audience behind.
½ December 4, 2013
Retrato de um dia especialmente contemplativo para um toxicodependente em recuperação falha por ser um pouco chato e dar por si à deriva umas quantas vezes. Mesmo assim, existe da parte do realizador uma preocupação genuína com o drama do principal personagem e a cidade de Oslo é filmada com uma sensibilidade muito especial. O actor principal parece o Spud do "Trainspotting" também.
November 16, 2013
A deep, close character study of a 34 year old man continuing rehabilitation but becomes depressive and cynical way to start a new beginning.A simplistic story depicted in a way where a busy,self centered city dont think about the distressed one whose closed ones also learn living without them.Certainly at this scenario one cant think a better soothing way than self destruction.
½ November 2, 2013
Ok - thought it was about terrorism there but turned out to be simple story about youth troubles. Not bad
½ October 14, 2013
Oslo, August 31st is an honest odyssey of a drug addict addressing his troubles, with a keen sense of time and place.
October 14, 2013
Heavy subject matter handled with masterful subtlety. A film every 20/30-something should see. My personal favourite of 2012.
½ September 28, 2013
?????????????????????????????????????????????
½ August 20, 2013
A very sobering and real portrayal of the emotional rationale of a recovering addict. This film doesn't seem to want to move the audience through any means of a conventional story-telling method, but to isolate you with Anders on his lonesome journey so as to gain your fullest empathy on this very character-driven film.
½ August 19, 2013
Emotionally raw and almost heartbreaking.
½ August 13, 2013
Trier has carefully crafted a portrait of an addict, and the pressures of modern life with outstanding technical assurance. It's a sad story, but beautifully told.