OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus (Lost in Rio) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus (Lost in Rio) Reviews

½ July 26, 2012
A bit weaker than Rio, but it's decent enough to merit a viewing. Less quantity of humor, but a bit more actual plot I suppose. Though the humor that is there is stretched and hilarious.
½ July 26, 2012
Jean Dujardin is as great as he was in the first. It's not as laugh-out-loud hilarious as the first because the humor isn't as surprising. It's sad to see Berenice Bejo leave the cast because she was so charming as the Bond girl because Louise Monot really doesn't even come close. The laughs are spread out a little more this time around, so it feels well paced. OSS 117 isn't the kind of film you should take seriously because it's very obvious that it was meant to be silly and make fun of the average spy film, which it does very well. Even with its flaws, Lost in Rio is just as fun as the first.
½ July 10, 2012
Very, very funny. If you love Black Dynamite, you'll love this too. The attention to detail is just as amusing as the jokes. And Jean Dujardin is absolutely brilliant.
½ July 2, 2012
Rare - a French comedy. Even rarer for a French movie: it's funny and unpretentious. Good parody of James Bond movies, with some scenes that could be straight out of the Mel Brooks playbook.

Not a surprise that this is directed by Michel Hazanavicius and stars Jean Dujardin, the director and star, respectively, of the brilliant The Artist. Direction is solid - free flowing and energetic. Plot is a bit random at times though.

Great performance by Jean Dujardin as OSS 117. Solid supporting cast.
June 27, 2012
OSS 117 is back, and he's just as ignorant and hilarious as ever. As far as spoofs go, this is far superior to Austin Powers.
½ June 21, 2012
On par with the first. While the overall plot isn't nearly as good as its predecessor, the film has moments that are funnier, so in the end it all evens out. That Dujardin and Hazanavicius make for a great team, and they have Oscars to prove it.
June 17, 2012
Odlicna komedija so Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
June 11, 2012
Even more misogynist and xenophobic, agent OSS 117 strikes again with some even more memorable scenes than the first film.
½ June 11, 2012
A bit stupid, a bit classy.
June 9, 2012
Funnier, and all around more entertaining than the first one. I really admired Dujardin's dedicated performance and the direction for all the sets and cinematography and camerawork really show Michel Hazanavicius' love for movies of the era that this one takes place.

You may not laugh at all the jokes and the fact that it's french may turn off some viewers, but it will no doubt keep you entertained all the way through and you would want to see what happens at the end.

An enjoyable film.
May 9, 2012
French caricature of 007. Silly and awkward at times to where I wanted to walk away but I couldn't. I still liked it. I watched it for extra credit for a French class. Lol
May 2, 2012
I was offended and I didn't laugh at any of the jokes.
April 28, 2012
The second film about the french spy OSS 117 has now taken the trip to Brazil to find a bunch of Nazis who has a microfilm list of French Nazi sympathizers that might be damaging for some government people. His partner this time is an Israeli Mossad agent Dolorès Koulechov. I actually think this is better than the first one, more great jokes, and more crazy conventional flashback. And Dujardin is even funnier, as the arrogant, masochistic man who wants to show every one that he's a man. Thumbs up.
March 31, 2012
On of the most hilariously entertaining films I've seen in a long time. Jean Dujardin leads a comical performance in what is now my favorite satirical spy film.
½ March 30, 2012
Good god, this movie is awesome. A French Austin Powers in Brazil hunting Nazis. They really upped the schtick factor from the Egypt one. You can easily see why Dujardin was cast for The Artist, large swaths of the film are "silent" and rely on his exaggerated expressions. There are also multishot scenes, which are fabulous, I don't recall any in the first film. It's a tragically underused technique, they make delicious use of it at least four times. Stylish, funny and ridiculous.
March 28, 2012
not quite as funny as the first one, but stil very good
½ March 23, 2012
As with the first movie Le Caire, nid d'espions, sumptuous period piece pastiche of the 60's spy spoof. The level of humour is a bit unsettling though. When does a joke go past being funny to offensive? Still, Jean Dujardin with his cheesy grin brilliant as ever. Best line: "My dream is that one day you Jews will make peace with the Nazis".
March 9, 2012
This pre-dates the fame of Jean Dujardin in America, but was a breakout role for the comedy actor from France. In the sixties and seventies there were a string of French spy films with a male protagonist named OSS 117, who is now featured in this second film of the new series as a complete clod in comparison. In this film, such as Peter Sellers turn as James Bond in Casino Royale, OSS 117 is reworked as slightly bumbling. More so than that he is misogynistic, racist, and playfully arrogant and ignorant. Unlike a low budget parody film this was actually shot in relatively beautiful locations, with actual cinematography and principal photography to boot. It utilizes many forms of split screen, and is a finesse of French cinema, not only as an ode but as an actual spy film. What also sets it apart from the crass American counterparts such as Spy Hard and The Naked Gun, is that this film actually holds more than comedy, but an air of sophistication and restraint. Better than that, while the usual spy parodies have a makeshift cast of people who are truly enthralled by this uncouth person, this film lets the Israeli Mossad romantic lead hold her own amongst the male spies. She outright points out his faults and tells him about them in as mean a way as possible. Dujardin is in his own league here, as he maneuvers between likable and downright repulsive. His scenes are usually full of bandying about words that are intentionally offensive, while also being goofy and lovable in some respects. The villains are unbelievable, the storyline is epic yet ridiculous, and the shots of the film really resonant and bewilder with how amazing they are for the content. Beside that there is actual humor that relates to American sensibilities and somehow mimics the parody films of Leslie Nielsen. The only reason I didn't fully love it is that it doesn't always translate well, and my comedic choices are usually not as suave and as witty as this, so for myself it was a different kind of experience. Still, this is a delight and is worth our attention.
½ March 8, 2012
French agent OSS 117 (Dujardin) is back, this time on a job in the exotic Rio, to recover some important microfilm in the wrong hands. To his surprise, he is assigned to be aided by gorgeous lieutenant Dolores Koulechav (Monot) who is not amused by an of 117's antics. The two get even closer to finding the important object, but the ride itself isn't without any misadventures, from being chased down by angry Nazis, to hanging out with French hippies at the beach to uncover information, and even more ... I'm surprised to say that I actually enjoyed "OSS 117: Lost in Rio" a bit more than its hilarious predecessor "Cairo, Nest of Spies" which uses the same director, and the same star, but there's just something about this one that's a little more funny and a little more charming. 90% of the jokes are sexist, racist, and/or politically incorrect (the film itself isn't, it's just some of 117's ignorant opinions on the world) but are somehow hilarious, and as a bonus it seems that OSS 117's naive demeanor isn't ruined somehow, all due to Dujardin's always likable demeanor. Most of this film would not have worked in the US, but the French pulled it off-- who knows how. But what makes the film even funnier though, is how well it parodies everything, from James Bond films, 1960's culture, and spy movies, something that its predecessor did well, but not this good. Every second of this film I enjoyed-- I was either laughing or just being entertained, and with a film as silly as this one, that's what you should pretty much be expecting in the first place. All I can say is that "OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies" was funny, but this one, "Lost in Rio" is sidesplitting. At this point, it doesn't even matter which one you watch first. 3.5 stars. Recommended.