The Other Side of Sunday (Søndagsengler) Reviews

• Feb 06, 2013

I misjudged this film at first and almost turned it off not even half way through. Nominated for Best Foreign Film at the 1997 Academy Awards this Norwegian film has also been recognised through a host of other awards; it had promise to say the least. What I wasn't expecting was the slow and tedious pace used in this film. It wasn't until I embraced this that I began to full appreciate and enjoy this wonderful film. This was my first Norwegian film, set during the 1950s and chronicling the spiritual journey of a Priest's daughter. Looking at issues of spiritual exploration during a particularly conservative period of history the audience grows with Maria's character and may ultimately learn something about themselves and their own beliefs by the time they have finished watching this. This film touched a nerve with me and I won't forget it, for that reason this film is brilliant in its effectiveness. A beautifully told coming of age story from a period, setting and point of view unlike anything I have ever seen. "When you are dead you are free" - Mrs Tunheim in 'The other side of Sunday'

• Dec 27, 2010

A very natural, very nicely done coming-of-age story about a girl in a very religious family. It's both a bit sacred and a bit blasphemous. Its emotional grip wasn't especially compelling, but it was a well done movie.

• Aug 24, 2010

Oscar nominated foreign film from Norway about a teenage girl whose father is a priest and is very strict about her being a proper Christian. But of course, she is starting to explore her sexuality and wants to be free to do what she wants. To be honest, this movie is pretty boring, it’s just such a quiet film that is pretty overlong and takes too long to say what it’s trying to say. The acting is good, especially from the priest and the woman the girl admires, but other than that, it just gets dull a lot of times. Oh well, it wasn’t awful, it just… there.

• Mar 26, 2009

Sweden...teenage...christianism.

Sweden...teenage...christianism.

• Jun 08, 2008

I liked what it had to say and how it said that

I liked what it had to say and how it said that

• May 05, 2008

Review will be written when/if re-watched (Probability: Zero). First viewing: 19.02.1998

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Apr 02, 2008

[font=Century Gothic]If it was not hard enough being a teenager growing up in the 1950's, in "The Other Side of Sunday," Maria(Marie Theisen) has the added ordeal of her father(Bjorn Sundquist) being the local priest, leading an especially joyless and repressed household where piano playing is banned on Sundays and Maria is scheduled for private lessons after a slightly less than perfect report card.(Oh yeah. No farting at the kitchen table.) While preparing for her upcoming confirmation, Maria's one of source of happiness is her crush on Mrs. Tunheim(Hildegun Riise), a rectory worker...[/font] [font=Century Gothic][/font] [font=Century Gothic]"The Other Side of Sunday" is an enjoyable coming of age movie that would be routine if not for its religious themes. As Maria is growing up, she is starting to think for herself, especially concerning religious dogma which she is starting to find a little silly, in the process overcoming the state of ignorance she had been kept in. All of which is represented by the rite of confirmation which officially is a way for a person to become a full member of the church while at the same time becoming an adult in a secular fashion.(My first quarrels with religion also happened around my confirmation.)[/font]

• Dec 07, 2007

Cute, funny and with some well-composed shots and set design. Nothing beats a well-timed fart joke.

• Nov 26, 2007

• Jun 20, 2007

I'm always a sucker for subtly done movies that focus on young female leads who are finding out about life and who earn the attentions of older men ; )