City Girl Reviews

• May 31, 2017

Despite a very weak ending, this is a very good film featuring what happens when a farm boy meets a city girl, they get married, and he takes her back to his farm. It could have entered into Crocodile Dundee humor, but it's interesting when the girl, probably from being brought up in the city, takes bullshit from noone. Very crisply acted (It does help that Charles Turrell is easy on the eyes) and expertly lit.. Check out those night shots! This is an interesting film.

• May 01, 2017

Ignore the naysayers, whatever the hell they know about movies. This is magnificent movie making. I rarely use the word 'literally', but this film is literally breathtaking. I loved it from the start with perfect casting and moment-capturing. Great cinematic storytelling. A silent movie to begin anyone's journey into silent movies. Can't rate it highly enough. I laughed. I gasped. I hung on every moment, and, being a silent in the last days before the advent of the dull talkies, there were many of them. Terrific joy in a pure wonder where even the smallest characters have presence.

• Nov 28, 2014

There is true beauty to behold in Murnau's pictorial view of Minnesotan farmland - amber waves of grain and all that. But I think some of the scenes in the Windy City, especially when Kate looks out of her apartment window and the passing El train creates flashes of light on her face, are equally stunning. You can see how this may have influenced Malick's Days of Heaven. However, the plot, elemental though it is, feels too rickety to support all these perfect images. Apparently, a producer tampered with the end product after Murnau walked away. So, we have Country Boy meets City Girl, marries her and brings her back to Minnesota where his Old Man does not approve. Their relationship is strained until the Old Man finally relents (after some lascivious farmhands show him his stupidity). No match for Sunrise (to which the plot, but not the images, bears some similarity) -if you are new to Murnau, start there (or Faust or The Last Laugh).

• Aug 24, 2014

A waitress in a big city diner falls in love with a country guy visiting the city. They quickly get married and move to the country where she faces his stern father. As I was watching, I thought this is kind of lightweight for a Murnau film. I mean, the director of "Nosferatu" and "Sunrise"? But then as it progressed, I saw that it has gotten more complex and darker. It pretty much turned into somewhat of a companion piece of "Sunrise". It's not quite as great as that film. He uses some of the same notes but it's still a wonderful film worth checking out since hey, it's a Murnau film.

• Jan 18, 2014

With a glowing performance from Mary Duncan, a suiting sweet original score by Arthur Kay, and impressive beautiful cinematography by Ernest Palmer, City Girl might not be F.W. Murnau's finest effort, but adds as an impressive piece of work.

• May 01, 2013

Definitely not the kind of expressionistic spectacle I expected from a Murnau film! City Girl is a simple, beautiful film that rewards its viewers with rich visuals and surprisingly rich story telling.

• Jan 18, 2013

A city waitress marries the son of a wheat farmer, but struggles to be accepted by the man's family and especially the father, who believes she will be unfaithful. This tension unfolds one stormy night. This film, which was thought lost for a long time, portrays perhaps the most genuine achievement by Murnau to bridge realism with German expressionism. But while in the technical aspect he takes artistic liberties that are remarkable, with the light play and the camera movements resembling a celluloid dance, the narrative aspect and its dead beat rhythm seems frustrated, perhaps by the advent of the talking pictures.

• May 06, 2012

From the master of silent films such as Last Laugh & Nosferatu comes I believe in my opinion his last silent masterpiece. As the title suggests this is the story of a city girl falling for a country & goes back to live with him & then the story gets going. All the characters in this a so well thought & written especially the city girl who gives a sensational performance & really moves the film forward. It is emotional & engaging I was so surprised the quality of the story & acting ...and incredible silent film, supposively there is a talkie version just stick with this....

• Stella D Super Reviewer
    Apr 18, 2012

'city girl' is kind of the inverse 'sunrise' and was a compromised project for murnau, only being released in a truncated sound version which is now lost. while i much prefer murnau's original title of 'our daily bread', there are some lovely and lyrical scenes here as impressive as anything in 'sunrise', most notably the sequence of lem and kate running through the wheatfields and the final runaway wagon race lit by a single lantern. good chemistry between the two leads and the earthier mary duncan is an interesting contrast to charles farrell's usual partner janet gaynor. it's somewhat of a miracle this full silent version has survived and there are some nice features related to the lost film '4 devils' on the disc as well

• Mar 21, 2012

F.W. Murnau's filmography in Hollywood may have been cut short by his untimely death, but he certainly did fine work. Between this and "Sunrise", he was one of the great auteurs working at the time. Supposedly, a sound version of this film did exist, but has been lost; still, the silent version is very powerful, a credit to Murnau.