Our Dancing Daughters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Our Dancing Daughters Reviews

Antonius Block
March 31, 2016
The movie that launched Joan Crawford's career, and which so nicely captured some of the spirit of the flappers in the late 1920's. The scenes of her cutting loose with the Charleston amidst art deco furnishings are certainly the highlight. The plot itself is a pretty thin morality tale. Crawford and Anita Page pursue the same newly minted millionaire, who confuses who is "the pure one" and of course gets it wrong. Perhaps it's understandable, since there is a lot of dancing, legs, and playful kissing of guy friends to go around. There is an undercurrent of the double standard common for the time (how interesting this was made in the same year Woolf gave her 'A Room of One's Own' speeches); Dorothy Sebastian plays another character who must live down her past, and convince her husband to forgive her for it.

The movie is silent and not in the greatest shape anymore, but that might have added a little to its charm. It's also interesting to see the short hairstyles, cloche hats, and the dialog:

Offering a drink:
"Li'l hot baby want a cool li'l sip?"

After a big kiss:
"What a service station *you* turned out to be!"

By the shoreline, to a pretty song; ah youth:
"It's such a pleasant thing - just to be alive!"
"You want to taste all of life - don't you?"
"Yes - all! I want to hold out my hands and catch it - like the sunlight."
½ March 2, 2014
"Downton Abbey" fans would love this early Joan movie--much like Julian Fellowes' "Barbie Suicide" style of writing, this flapper-era silent kills off a major character for the sake of convenience. Joan film 61 of 81 for me.
January 27, 2014
Our Dancing Daughers (1928)

This is the first of Joan Crawford's three "Flapper" movies. She plays coquettish Diana Medford who is trying to marry a young millionaire. Ben Black (Johnny Mack Brown) walks into her life and the sparks fly. But Diana's kind of wild jazz-age antics kind of scares Ben away. Diana isn't really all that wild, folks. She's a good girl.

Ann (Anita Page), although in reality a lot more wild than Diana, tries to steal Ben away with her down-to-earth act. Ben falls for it and marries Ann, to his later regret. Ben now looks towards Diana, who still loves the guy, but doesn't mess with married men.

One of Diana's girlfriends, Beatrice (Dorothy Sebastian) was the same kind of party girl once, and despite her handsome beau, Norman (Nils Asther) saying he loves her, he is very jealous of the attentions of those old party boys wanting to hang around.
January 1, 2014
crawford dances her ass off in this one kinda like kevin bacon in 'footloose"
February 18, 2010
Many 21st century films have difficulty dealing with the intricacies of relationships and changing social mores and yet the silent film Our Dancing Daughters (with a young Joan Crawford) succeeds in portraying the conflicts and passions of a group of young people embarking on relationships and marriage.
½ February 14, 2010
Joan Crawford sparkles, and saves the movie from becoming a meringue. There's some interesting stuff about femininity thrown in, and some shots that amazingly survived the censors.
½ June 4, 2009
This "trilogy" of movies (Our Dancing Daughters, Our Modern Maidens, Our Blushing Brides, thought none of them are really connected outside of the director and cast) is actually very good. This one is the second best, after the incredible pre-code Our Blushing Brides. Crawford was extremely winning in silent film, and had a wonderfully expressive face. Anita Page's performance is wonderful, too. Page mostly played nice girls, so it's fascinating to see her play such a bitch, and to do so this well.
½ December 5, 2008
Anita Page always seems to come to some sort of a bad end when she's paired with Joan Crawford
mwilliams078
December 2, 2008
Our Dancing Daughters, from MGM in 1928 is a delightful silent screen gem starring the great Joan Crawford. Joan Crawford plays Diana whom is the life of the party and the it of the young flappers. Diana meets a wealthy young man named Ben whom instantly gets her attention. The only problem is that one of her friends named Ann (Anita Page) also likes him and wants to land a wealthy man which Ben flips the bill. Both ladies battle for the love and attention from Ben....watch the classic which has many great dance numbers with Joan Crawford and to find out if either lady wins him over.
May 15, 2008