Our Hospitality - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Our Hospitality Reviews

½ December 4, 2012
Buster Keaton's Our Hospitality starts in the year 1810, in the wild west where a family feud between the Canfield and the McKay family that has bin going on for decades, and it's certainly happens again one storm full night, when Mr. McKay and Mr. Canfield settles their differences by having a duel, where both get hit and fall dead. This causes even more hate, and McKay's wife and infant son, Willie have to flee and live with her sister in New York. Twenty years later, Willie (Buster Keaton) inherit his father's estate, which is now in his name. On the train back to his birth place he meets a girl named Virginia, who's last name is in fact Canfield, the enemies.

Our Hospitality is based on the real-life Hatfield-McCoy feud. And it's amazing how Keaton is able to turn this concept into a comedy. With all of the Canfield always caring a gun, and shoots after Willie as if he were a duck. But they try to keep a dignified tone when Virginia is around. But the guns takes minutes to reload back in the mid 19th century, which makes it difficult for them to get a precise shot. Other things besides all the shooting there's a lot of pretty funny acrobatic train scenes, where wagons falls of, or the train gets on the wrong track and even out of the tracks. And Willie's dog from New York is so faithful and follows the train, and is a good companionship for better or for worse. Buster Keaton certainly doesn't fail with this one. Thumbs up.
November 27, 2012
Buster Keaton movies, like those of Charlie Chaplin are almost always worth watching. This was no exception.
November 18, 2012
Wonderful movie.. Buster Keaton is a gem!!!
November 17, 2012
A man journeys to the South to claim his inheritance, but he falls in love with the daughter of a rival family along the way.
One of the stunts during the third act is one of Keaton's most amazing physical achievements in a career of amazing physical achievements. Considering the time this film was made and the technology available, I am always in awe of Keaton's technical prowess no matter what film I'm watching.
The story is a satire of Southern codes of honor, one of the first times I've seen Keaton criticizing Southern mores, and the result produces some madcap ridiculousness.
Overall, Our Hospitality is funny, entertaining, and contains some vintage Keaton, a master of the silent medium.
November 4, 2012
I tried but youtube muted the music...and I just couldn't handle the silence for an hour trying to understand anything...
October 8, 2012
The comic level of Buster Keaton's Our Hospitalty may not reach tto that of Chaplins but it is very solidly directed and some scenes may shock you as it is a ninety year old movie.
September 30, 2012
For 1923, the stunts are pretty impressive, but I don't understand how you can do physical comedy when you never change the expression on your face.
½ September 29, 2012
An amusing piece that plays off of circumstances for a lot of great laughs. Of course, the action with the train and the river was pretty exciting as well . . .
September 3, 2012
One of Keaton's earliest features, which is based on the Hatfield/McCoy fued, Buster shows his chops on a much bigger scale than this short films. The waterfall scene and the train scene are huge standouts, and the train scene is an obvious precursor to "The General", made 3 years later. Also sadly, this was the final film starring Buster's favorite heavyweight Joe Roberts, who died just a few weeks prior to release.
½ June 3, 2012
The story's so-so, but you don't watch Keaton for the story. The stunts and action are key here, and there's one sequence at a waterfall which would blow people away today, 90 years later.
½ June 1, 2012
Sherlock Jr. (44 min.)-- Technically amazing in terms of cinema genius. No one can touch Buster Keaton.
½ May 13, 2012
Along with the General one of the best films ever made by comedy legend Buster Keaton
March 19, 2012
Keaton is a goon, this is one of my 5 favorite films by him
February 24, 2012
impressive. Especially the waterfall sequence!!
½ February 12, 2012
Our Hospitality is one of Buster's most clever films (oddly enough, he didn't write it) but not one of his funniest. The first half of the film starts off fairly slow, and I have to admit it was slightly disappointing as a comedy. I actually had to double check to see if this film actually was a comedy during the first part of the film. The satire is smart and funny and all, but unfortunately a majority of the humor feels a bit dated and bland. The latter half of the story is mostly amusing, but the entire plot itself isn't the most invigorating. Overall, it's not a bad film, any fan of Buster will enjoy themselves. It's got some great funny moments, but the humor and storytelling feels inconsistent and may feel a bit uncomfortable to some.
February 10, 2012
Not among Keaton's classics due to a draggy beginning and lack of truly uproarious moments, but his stunts are as incredible as ever including a very dangerous-looking river rapids sequence. As with The General, the guy again displays his fondness for trains with a very primitive 1820's engine getting some sizable screen time.
½ December 27, 2011
"Our Hospitality" is an epic scale Keaton film that runs at 75 minutes and employees the use of many sets and all adds up to a wonderful adventure with Keaton touch. The film is directed and stars Buster Keaton but also stars his at the time wife, father (who performs the insane high kick knocking a hat off a man), and his son as a baby Keaton in the film. Our Hospitality is one of the most liked and acclaimed Buster Keaton works and is widely considered a masterpiece. The train tracks are hilariously constructed and the trip back home is one filled with crazy antics and all sorts of trouble for our cast. The film showcases Keaton's huge imagination and gift for making terrific comedies that have both heart and adventure as well as comedy elements in both slapstick and insane set pieces. The comedies all convey a grand sense of space and wonderfully designed machines and constructions that really add to the feel of the movie. Of note, this was the first Buster Keaton film that both my father and best friend, Brad have seen via my blu-ray.
December 13, 2011
It's in the Davis County Library system.
November 27, 2011
This one started out so well with beautiful cinematography. I admired many shots in this. And I think it is one of Keaton's more polished works. I loved the waterfall rescue scene. The flat ending ruined the film.