Our Kind of Traitor Reviews

• Jun 06, 2019

A lifeless spy thriller. Our Kind of Traitor (2016) looks and feels like a movie straight out of 2006. It's washed out colors, poor cinematography, and bland story are astonishingly lackluster. Susanna White's direction is derivative and dull. She takes a John Le Carre story and brings it to life with middling results. I found myself nearly falling asleep as the espionage felt like a mediocre thriller. The editing is atrocious with a jump cut every 3 seconds. It is very jarring, especially next to the effects and look that appears a decade old dating Our Kind of Traitor. For a newer film, you'd think they could have lit it properly instead of adding an ugly filter, tons of lens flare, and overexposing every shot. This movie just looks so strikingly dated, I cannot get over it. Ewan McGregor is a great actor, but he is pretty bland as the moral professor turned action star that does essentially nothing. Naomi Harris does little more than nag at McGregor as an uninspired lawyer wife. Damian Lewis is the only great performance here as an MI6 spy desperately trying to take down English corrupt and Russian mob influence. His dedication to the seriousness of the story gives each of his scenes a commendable weight. Stellan Skarsgard is a phenomenal actor that gives a decent performance. He is so inviting, warm, and funny that his dramatic moments are more intriguing because of his acting. The rest of the cast is forgettable. I found the score unremarkable, the action too sparse and poorly executed, and the drama not very suspenseful. Not to mention, Our Kind of Traitor ends in an anti-climax of sorts. This is one easy to miss espionage thriller.

• May 21, 2019

Solid and entertaining spy thriller with a good ensemble manages to hold our attention without overdoing the action sequences.

• Apr 10, 2019

Decent enough, but certainly not fantastic. It's the writing that lets the film down and only really works part of the time, namely when it's focusing on tense moments where there's a sense of acute danger and room for a bit of action. The rest of the time it's either focused on characters who are flat, uninteresting and not worthy of caring about, or banking and high-level corruption within the government, neither of which is handled in a way that's particularly engaging. I found myself waiting for it to kick it up a notch, but it never really gets there. If there's one reason to watch this -- perhaps the only reason -- it's Stellan Skarsgard who steals the show with his sympathetic, flamboyant thug/family man. It is, perhaps, the very definition of an okay film.

• Mar 12, 2019

Neither great nor boring, just okay for a night of a “spies” movie!

Neither great nor boring, just okay for a night of a “spies” movie!

• Jan 22, 2019

It's okay. Not a particularly memorable movie but an interesting watch for the evening.

• Jun 16, 2018

Really Courageous for an ordinary professor helping a family of mafia to escape.

• May 10, 2018

A spy-movie that relies on solid script writing to develop the suspense and drama about an M16 agent and a British couple.

• Apr 21, 2018

The amount of time it would take for me to properly explain all that is wrong in this movie is not worth it. The worst part, is that for the most part, everything wrong with this movie could have been fixed with out changing the movie as a whole. Just too many pieces big and small that were ridiculously unrealistic or sloppy. I can not believe the critics gave this a favorable rating. I’m going to have to read all the bad reviews just to make myself feel better.

• Mar 08, 2018

A mixed bag of a film not action packed but well acted and an enjoyable tale. Lacking a certain something to take it to the next level.

• Feb 18, 2018

What a terrible disappointment. Apparently this was not one of le carres best efforts. That is no excuse for the director not to understand what makes le carre stories great. People spend hard earnt money buying or renting these movies. What on earth is going on with the critics scores? This was on channel 4. I watched about 10 minutes then decided my life was too precious to waste on this. Ewan shagging one women who cries followed by a drug party and rape scene. ewwf. A pretty girl gets shot in the snow by a smirking gun man. The cliched car ambush which did not allow any tension to build.