Our Man Flint Reviews

June 23, 2014
One interesting element here is that while initially intended as an over-the-top sendup of the ever popular Bond films of the time, that the Bond films themselves became so much like the spoofs that in retrospect both seem indistinguishable anymore.
James Coburn obviously loved the chance at playing the cooler-than-cool (ice cold) uberman, Derek Flint, and its in his relishing the part that the most fun is had here. Lotsa hot babes (mainly as background eye candy) and imaginary gadgets (that still haven't been invented) abound. Its so good ... that it could count as a Bond film (sorry Cubby).
September 5, 2010
Many people point to this as one of the best spy movies of the 60s along with 007, but I wasn't that impressed with it. The style is more interesting than a Bond movie, but I didn't care for Coburn's character, he seemed too flawless. Overall it's okay, though, especially if you love spy movies.
February 24, 2010
A classic of the spy-genre, in its all-out parody glory. Age has only added a new sheen of humor, as we guffaw at the retro aura (the kung-fu grips, the 1960's womanizing, go-go dancing, and ridiculous faux-buddhist upper-class chicness.
Our Man Flint is an essential entry in the genre of parody, and actually manages to stand on its own without knowledge of what it is trying to parody in a way that the more recent (and less sophisticated) Austin Powers has managed to do. Yet where Austin Powers is slapstick hilarity, Our Man Flint is buffoonishly mock-serious.... a parody style that fits the spy-film genre far more comfortably and more satisfyingly... and has aged remarkably well for a highly topical parody.
jjnxn
½ March 27, 2008
VERY much a product of its time but taken on those terms an enjoyable spoof of Bond films. Dig those crazy outfits and eye-popping hairstyles!
August 29, 2011
If you liked Austin Powers....
September 11, 2008
Fun, very 60's 007 spoof. James Coburn is always entertaining.
October 14, 2013
Another James Bond knock-off, this one done more in the Austin Powers style, that is 30 years earlier, though. Im really no Bond fan, so this didnt appeal to me either. Over the top with the gadgets and the ladies.
August 16, 2010
1966 saw both Dean Martin (as Matt Helm in "The Silencers") and James Coburn here as Derek Flint on screen in shameless copycatters of the James Bond franchise, which by that point was an undeniably proven product through its four outings -- "Dr. No" (1962), "From Russia With Love" (1963), "Goldfinger" (1964) and "Thunderball" (1965). Ok, "Our Man Flint" doesn't have anywhere near the same bite as any of those Bond classics, mostly because it's missing any well-done action scenes as well as any whiz-bang gizmo-gimmickry. Still, it's interesting to watch, in large part due to Coburn's subtle and playful poking at the Bond franchise. When Coburn's handed a Walther PPK pistol - Bond's standard issue - he quips its outdated. And at film's fin, Coburn's too busy to take The President's phone call, not because he's snuggling up with the usual babe-once-nemesis now won over, but because he's snuggling up with HER AND four other women, his regular squeezes, all at the same time. Menage a CINQ -- top THAT James Bond! Maybe Bond needs a suitcase full of gadgets, but uber-spy-guy Flint only needs one: a cigarette lighter (that looks suspiciously like a classic Dunhill Rollagas) that does 86 different things - "87 if you count that it can light a cigarette" - which he uses to talk to HQ merely by flipping up the lid. And to think Bond needs to tote around all that complicated stuff just to phone home. "Flint" sends up Bond as omniscient Renaissance man by going over-the-top, by making Coburn even more omniscient than Bond; Flint's flying to Moscow for the ballet - not to see it, but to train the dancers. Viewed not as action spy flick but rather as sly satire, "Flint" is actually more satisfying viewing than the more slapstick send-up of Bond in "Casino Royale" (1967). RECOMMENDATION: One-spin recommended, when the mood for such strikes.
½ May 9, 2007
The world is threatened by Global Warming, who do you call? Derek Flint, James Coburn's James Bond spoof. The structure of the movie is exactly like a James Bond movie. The first half of the movie is cool with a lot jokes poking fun at James Bond. The panic of the world leaders in this movie reminds me of some of our current politicians when dealing with Global Warming. The second half of the movie slows down with little dialog. The movie has lots of good looking women. James Coburn does a lot of karate chops and kicks. This movie was made about the time he was taking martial arts training from Bruce Lee. The second Flint movie "In Like Flint" is better.
½ September 1, 2009
How many of you enjoyed the Austin Powers movie series? This movie is the original Austin Powers type of character. Our Man Flint is movie that was made in 1966 and was made as a parody to the recently popular James Bond series of movies. The movie chronicles the Ultra cool super agent Derek Flint (play by James Coburn) as he takes on a trio of mad utopian scientists that are controlling the world?s weather. This movie is often described by watchers and cheesy or just plain goofy, but really it?s just a whole lot of fun. It is of course very tongue and cheek and very campy, but this is by design not because it was just a bad movie. The strong point of this movie is the performance that James Coburn put in. Many who know this actor would find it hard to believe he would be able to play the suave, ultra chic, ultra-competent sex magnet that the character Derek Flint is supposed to be, however he pulls it off very nicely. James Coburn is very different than Austin Powers or any of the Bonds in his characterization. He is very polite in his rebelliousness, and instead of being condescending to his superiors he is always polite and says sir. Rather than being the suave rebel he is more that annoying person you know that absolutely knows everything about everything and is the best at everything he does and on top of that is also the most polite person you have ever met. He has a boyish smile and disarming manner that makes him both charming and despicable at the same time. This works exceedingly well for the role of Derek Flint, because it distinguishes him from the Bond role very well. I won?t go into a lot of detail because this is not an incredibly thought provoking movie. What it is though is a very fun movie that if you choose to enjoy it and not take to seriously will provide a good two hours of entertainment.
September 1, 2009
Interesting, amusing 1960's spy movie spoof. A pre-james bond secret agent battles the world enemy amongst the free love, flower power, and pre-women's lib era. Entertaining movie.
February 7, 2009
One of my childhood favourites. And like so many of the movies one loved as a kid, it isn't the masterpiece I once thought it was ... however, it still holds up for what it is, which is a quite cynical spoof on the "super man" hero character.

Derek Flint is actually quite a selfish, arrogant man. He refuses to help save the world until his former boss literally comes and begs him. And even then, once he tracks down the "villains" and goes about dismantling their fortress, he's far more concerned with saving his harem of girls than the mission.

And who are the villains in this film? A trio of brilliant scientists who have actually discovered a way to end world hunger, to turn wastelands into fertile gardens, to control the weather so that people no longer live in fear of typhoons and droughts. And what do they want in return? World peace! That's all. They demand that the nations of the world do away with their nuclear weapons, demobilize their armies, all so that the world may be finally be Utopia.

So Flint -- our hero -- is sent to kill and destroy these scientists!

When I was a kid I didn't pick up on this, but as an adult this is what makes me love this movie. It's deliciously subversive, and, a helluva lotta fun!
½ January 23, 2008
Derek Flint:The CIA's answer to Bond, kicks ass and takes names...Coburn at his dashing best. I hate the fact that they did not get an interview with him for the DVD before he passed on, and hate the stupid cover art tie-in to the Austin Powers "comedies", it's degrading IMVHO...
½ December 19, 2007
I liked this movie, even though USA movie goer didn't run with this - not quite a Bond, James Bond, or too close to it.
January 24, 2007
For all you retards who think Austin Powers is a spoof of James Bond. Mike Myers, straight up copied Powers from Derek Flint.
½ December 1, 2014
½ February 22, 2014
Even though it's silly to the point of being groan worthy at times, it's still pretty funny.
May 9, 2013
Before Austin Powers and Maxwell Smart there was Derek Flint. Released at the height of the Bond craze, it's the best spy spoof of the era.
August 20, 2012
This is a very solid spy movie. It's not as good as Thunderball or From Russia, but still fun and worth a watch.
½ October 13, 2010
A spy parody that I found to be dry and flat. Zowie.

Where it really misses the mark is found in the absence of anything resembling compelling and over the top villainy. One would think in a parody that there would be highly exaggerated characters seeking to control the world with their weather machine. Instead we get a few limp scientists in lab coats and an enforcer type that would better suit serving dainties at a garden party.

The staged fight between Flint and .0008 is the high point, and it last for a couple minutes. There are some happening babes in go go fashion around to look at, which saves it from being an utter bore.