Our Man Flint - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Our Man Flint Reviews

July 11, 2011
Still makes me laugh out loud on like the hundredth viewing.
May 31, 2011
Our Man Flint is a tough flick to discuss after viewing the Austin Powers franchise, as there is a massive age gap between my generation (not that I'm a big fan of my generation) and that of oldman Flint that makes it appear dated. Flint is a spoof of the Bond series, no way around that; there is even a moment in the film when the beautiful villain tosses aside a book called "Adventures of 008," claims that it's foolish to print such nonesnse. Thus, throughout the film I caught myself reliving other spy spoof films (and, of course, Roger Moore's ridiculous 007), which took away from Flint's wild and, at the time of release, original sets, wacky gagets, and terribly choreographed kung-fu (karate chop!).

What combats the datedness? The great James Coburn of course! Coburn is a man that defies generations, as he's as charismatic, masculine, and smooth whether he's saving the world from super-villains or hunting down Kris Kristofferson (as Billy the Kid) for Sam Peckinpah. As Flint, his smug arrogance and never-wrong attitude make Coburn an excellent choice for the super spy, super sly Derek Flint. There is, on the other hand, his kung-fu skills. Oh my lord! It's no secret that Coburn took lessons from Bruce Lee, but he sure didn't take choreography lessons.

On a side note, that I'm not going to get into, Lee J Cobb looks like a younger William Holden. Take that for what it's worth...

The indoor sets are immaculately constructed, loking as if a kylidoscope exploded onto the walls, floors, and ceilings. It's prime-time 60s psychodelic fun! In fact, the "pleasure unit" training centre inside the evil headquarters may cause blindness due to spinning neons and florescent brights (beware). The model work is impressive for the time as well. Volcanos explode, damns collapse, glaciers shatter, and it all looks and feels genuine. In fact, besides the super trippy psychodelic interiors, I was amazed at how detailed and elaborate the set design was, thinking that the producers put a boatload of cash into the film.

And now ladies and gentlemen, on to the... ladies. That Coburn is one lucky dude. When it comes to Derek Flint, poligomy is the key! 4+1=5, no? Plus, they wait on him hand-and-foot! The man has a personal shaver and woredrobe lady; I'd love to know what the other three do (and it would probably make me seriously jealous). In some 60s flicks, the ladies clothing is not that riske, but that's not good enough for our man Flint. There's not much clothing on these beauties at times and, combined with the settings, visual overload is inevitable and satisfying at the same time.

Although the film is over the top in everything it does, however, that applies to its lulls too. There is quite a large amount of "build up" exposition and details between the grande settings, beautiful women, and Coburnian charm. Sadly, it's just not entertaining enough to maintain one's attention (mine specifically) as the plot drags and the gags lag, showing their datedness as, thus, we've seen it all before.
February 8, 2011
Clever more often than laugh-out-loud funny (a little too clever for some, apparently). Better than the sequel. Shockingly subtle (at times) for the 60s (compare, say, Modesty Blaise).
December 9, 2010
Many people point to this as one of the best spy movies of the 60s along with 007, but I wasn't that impressed with it. The style is more interesting than a Bond movie, but I didn't care for Coburn's character, he seemed too flawless. Overall it's okay, though, especially if you love spy movies.
November 13, 2010
A delightful, zany, over the top James Bond spoof, Our Man Flint is a blast for anyone who enjoys either the Bond films or the Austin Powers films. James Coburn, with a wink and a smile, Karate chops his way through villains and thugs while kissing his fair share of beautiful women. Surprisingly good production value and a very clever script put this over most other spy-parodies.
½ October 13, 2010
A spy parody that I found to be dry and flat. Zowie.

Where it really misses the mark is found in the absence of anything resembling compelling and over the top villainy. One would think in a parody that there would be highly exaggerated characters seeking to control the world with their weather machine. Instead we get a few limp scientists in lab coats and an enforcer type that would better suit serving dainties at a garden party.

The staged fight between Flint and .0008 is the high point, and it last for a couple minutes. There are some happening babes in go go fashion around to look at, which saves it from being an utter bore.
October 11, 2010
Kicking back and watching some old school stuff today. Let me know if you know this movie.
September 19, 2010
I like Coburn, I like Gina Golan more. I find this big set studio bound spoof a little slow, sexless & witless. No Bond then. It's fun when the punches are flying other than that despite the scale it looks cheap.
½ June 18, 2010
After the mega success of 5 James Bond movies in the first half of the 1960s, a new kind of spy genre emerged in the second half. This kind of genre presented movies that were not exactly what today we call spoofs, in a sense that they were not assumed comedies, but the way they treated the spy and the spy game, so full of the Bond clichés, made them somewhat particular in their own sense. Along the lines of, say, "The Man From Uncle", Derek Flint is a secret agent fully aware of its cliché-like character, of his Bond mannerisms, but acts as if that is just the normal way to be. "Our Man Flint" was one of the first such spoofs to appear, and is directed by Daniel Mann, who had directed more deeper dramas such as "The Rose Tatoo" (1955) or "BUtterfield 8" (1960). James Coburn is Flint, womaniser, who lives with 4 woman, beds another during the adventure (the drop-dead gorgeous Gila Golan, who had a very small career in the cinema, and whose acting is not very good, but who his looking at her acting?!), is a great fighter, dancer, intellectual, etc, etc. When 3 bad scientists in a Vulcano-island-lair make a machine which controls the weather they hold the world for ransom. All agents sent die (including an 0008), and the world council (a bunch of hysteric sissys leaded by a Lee J Cobb, who delivers perfectly, as the great actor he was, but I think has a hard time with the lame save the world dialogue), knows that there is only one hope left: Flint. He is a sort of a mixture of McGyver and Bond. He waves away the classic Q-branch briefcase but manufactures his own arsenal, including a small lighter with 82 functions (83 if you want to light a cigar). Flint goes then to France, and then to the Vulcano Island. He is seduced but then turns Gila to his side, discovers the plot, faces bad guys, escapes from death, is kidnapped, escapes, kills the bad guys, saves the day, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the movie is slow. The scenes are lengthy and all the time in the world is wasted in the calm delivery of the dialogues and the showing of every step of the scene. A drama technique, it is not suitable for this one. A quick pace could have been given. It becomes quicker in the last 15 minutes, in the last fighting sequence at the island. The movie it is not very ahaha funny, and the plot is not very compelling either. The interest may lie in Flint himself, and in the fact of the absurdity of every character, a caricature of themselves and of the cliché of the spy movie. It is also worthy as a predecessor of others and an inspiration of such as Austin Powers, although not that explicitly comical. Coburn delivers a testosterone but suave performance, cool as a cat, deadly when asked to. And, although criticised by its depiction of woman (the living with 4 women thing, and in the end some are also brainwashed by the bad guys as "pleasure units"), I don't think there is any harm really, and it is a worthy "spoof" on the age when the spy-spoof was born. It had one sequel, "In Like Flint" in 1967.
May 18, 2010
A lot of subtle, dry humor and beautiful women. Another spy spoof that influenced the Austin Powers Franchise.
½ April 30, 2010
Excellent...watch this and you will see where Mike Myers got his inspiration for Austin Powers...
½ March 15, 2010
I am not a pleasure unit

A terrorist organization has developed a machine that controls the weather. The government is forced to call on the notorious Derek Flint. Flint is an eccentric man who is brilliant. Can Flint track down the terrorists, discover their motive, and bring their operations to a halt?

"They are controlling the weather from inside a volcano."

Daniel Mann, director of The Mann who Broke 1,000 Chains, Matilda, The Revengers, Willard (1971), The Mountain Road, and The Last Angry Man, delivers Our Man Flint. The storyline for this picture is interesting and well presented. The settings are well selected and the acting is marvelous. The cast includes James Coburn, Lee Cobb, and Sigrid Valdis.

"My sole purpose in life is to bring happiness to my companions."

Our Man Flint is a series that has interested my wife. We are both fans of James Coburn and enjoyed both films in this series. While the stories are entertaining, the film truly focuses on the main character, Flint. The Flint series reminds me of a 70s version of Austin Powers. While this film is a Bond parody, it does deliver content and characters that are better than your average comedic parody.

"You are obviously an extraordinary man."

Grade: B
½ March 10, 2010
Our Man Flint is an interesting film. James Coburn and Lee Cobb gave amazing performances. The script is good and so is the direction of the film. I thought the action was excellent and kept me interested. Our Man Flint is a definite must see.
½ March 10, 2010
The original International Man of Mystery is created here played the charismatic James Coburn. The film is a spoof on the secret agent craze that started in the 60's and is loaded with the zaniness of 60's hollywood filmmaking. Flint is the world's most sought after agent that is employed to stop some werid weather patterns, which an obivious evil syndicate is behind. Campy, colorful, and bottomline ridiculous spy spoof.
February 24, 2010
A classic of the spy-genre, in its all-out parody glory. Age has only added a new sheen of humor, as we guffaw at the retro aura (the kung-fu grips, the 1960's womanizing, go-go dancing, and ridiculous faux-buddhist upper-class chicness.
Our Man Flint is an essential entry in the genre of parody, and actually manages to stand on its own without knowledge of what it is trying to parody in a way that the more recent (and less sophisticated) Austin Powers has managed to do. Yet where Austin Powers is slapstick hilarity, Our Man Flint is buffoonishly mock-serious.... a parody style that fits the spy-film genre far more comfortably and more satisfyingly... and has aged remarkably well for a highly topical parody.
½ February 10, 2010
It was at the drive-in sometime in the late 60's when I first saw "Our Man Flint". At the time, I thought that Flint was a poor imitation of James Bond or even Matt Helm. I do recall liking the scenery, particularly the "Pleasure Units" (forgive me please... I was a teenage boy at the time, after all). After watching this movie again in 2010, I find that I like the movie a lot more because of the nostalgia value. And Flint...well he does have a style all of his own.

I would have given Our Man Flint a 60 in the sixties, if Rotten Tomatoes had been around. Of course, I would have had to submit my rating on a post card. Today, I would have to give it an 80 but just because of the nostalgia factor. I'm splitting the difference and giving it a 70.

Pappy Bob's pedestrian opinion: Colorful, attractive film representation of a super sleuth of the sixties, with plenty of Pleasure Units to please the teenage boy in all of us.
January 13, 2010
Simply love James Coburn and he does not dissapoint in this feature.
½ January 2, 2010
The original spoof of the Bond films - and obvious inspiration for Austin Powers - and in one memorable scene Flint and Bond have a mock fight. Coburn is superbly dead-pan throughout and Lee J Cobb steals every scene as his beleaguered boss.
December 23, 2009
Every mans fantasy, isnt it ?
December 15, 2009
Suave and sophisticated super duper spy Derek Flint (James Coburn) - the man with babes on tap, a lighter with 82 different uses (83 if you count lighting cigars) and the ability to stop his own heart - makes his debut in this, the original James Bond spoof. Lacks the truly imaginative spoof material of the later Austin Powers series (though to be fair they did have 30 years worth of Bond movies to harpoon rather than Flint's 4) but there are enough laughs and hot 60's chicks to keep you entertained. Dopey fun.