Our Paradise (Notre Paradis) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Our Paradise (Notre Paradis) Reviews

½ July 11, 2014
Aging hustler Vassilli finds a young hustler robbed and unconscious in a Paris park. The young man (Angelo) has no where to stay, so Vassilli takes him back to his apartment. The two begin a relationship. When Angelo discovers the more violent nature of Vassilli's encounters, instead of fleeing he teams up with him and they begin robbing their clients. Pretty soon their violent past catches up with them and they flee to Lyon where they attempt to leave the life of crime behind them.
It's quite an engaging story with interesting characters. The script spirals out of control in the last reel and the ending is just a bit "oh."
The writer/director Gael Morel has done better than this in previous films. The stuff in Paris is gritty and intriguing, but once the story goes elsewhere I lost interest.
Stephane Rideau is an engaging screen presence and though his character doesn't think so, is getting better looking with age. Beatrice Dalle is wasted here and the kid is terrible.
½ June 20, 2014
Weird movie. Violent. The sex was not exciting. The movie is sick--and that is not a good thing.
February 2, 2013
An interesting look into the world of gay hustlers one being at the end of his career.......not a film for everyone.
August 3, 2012
I honestly cannot imagine why someone made this movie. The story is so pointless to me. I can't imagine someone sitting down and writing this. There's no meaning I can take away from it and even the plot itself was really lackluster for the most part. I didn't care about any of the characters - and didn't understand their motivations or behaviours either. I wasn't bored persay, but I wasn't exactly entertained either. There's nothing epecially redeeming that comes to mind either. Thus, don't bother with this. It really isn't worth your time.

What did this movie teach me? Disposing of a body in a newly frozen lake is actually a decent idea.
½ April 21, 2012
Quite average, but just not quite the same as I thought to be.
March 27, 2012
Not unlike the proverbial 73 bus, following American Translation, we have another French gay serial killer film and it is a masterpiece in comparison.The execution here is less pretentious and more grounded in melodrama and realism, thus less frustrating to watch, while the acting is certainly better here: less stoic and amateurish. The influence/ mashup is Bonnie and Clyde and again with NBK and a touch of early Almodovar with plotlines that would be no strangers to soap operas. The meaninglessness of American Translation is even more obvious and striking when view side by side with this film which reflects and comments upon the ageism and materialism some see in our (gay) world.
½ March 26, 2012
apart from the characters not always being well structured, pretty good and engaging.
½ October 2, 2011
Pendant la grande majorit√ (C) du film, on d√ (C)couvre une histoire singuli√®re mais on ne sait pas o√Ļ cela va bien pouvoir nous mener. Quand le mot "paradis" est lanc√ (C) tout s'√ (C)claircit. La pr√ (C)sence de B√ (C)atrice Dalle est surprenante tout comme le changement physique de St√ (C)phane Rideau.