Out of the Ashes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of the Ashes Reviews

June 25, 2014
I cried so much...What a sad movieš~¢š~¢š~¢
July 11, 2013
A gut wrenchingly powerful, inspiring and horrific story of survival and heroism in Auschwitz concentration camp, this film shows conditions there more realistically than any other film I've seen, except for the films that the SS shot themselves. Christine Lathi was outstanding, and the script was powerfully emotive and literate. A superb production, and a must see to really try to understand what the victims of the Holocaust went through.
May 15, 2012
This was a very powerful and touching movie. The Casting was spot on and the film just drew me in like I was there. This is one of the best memiors I have ever watched and it keeps you wanting more.
May 7, 2011
Yes. I would really like to buy it.
½ November 6, 2010
Good story, aweful topic of course, but worth telling. Makes me think that sometimes people do things because they choose the best out of the worst. She did what she thought was right in an aweful period, and I do think she did the right thing.
July 30, 2010
This is a stunning film about a doctor who attempts to emigrate to the USA following her horrific years in the Auschwitz concentration camp where she served aside the villianous Dr. Megele. When she is released and lands on American soil she is able to pass her medical boards with ease, but the Immigration Board gives her huge hassles regarding her U.S. citizenship based on erroneous information that she had been complicit in some of Megle's evil and sadistic experiments on Jewish prisoners at the Auschwitz camp.

I found Ms. Lahti absolutely breathtaking in this role. I was (on the other hand) a bit disappointed with the casting of Beau Bridges and Richard Crenna as two of the three "immigration review board" members. These were quite minor roles, and it seemed somewhat of a waste of talent to cast them in these parts.

This aside, the film was moving, engaging and enjoyable.
June 13, 2009
Maybe a 3.5 star movie. True story of a Jewish Doctor who survived Auschwitz only to be accused of being a spy for the Nazis. She tells her story before a jury of three INS investigators and their mouths drop open and they see the sincerity and love this woman had for people. Its worth seeing that's for sure. Good feeling knowing someone who was not a doctor just for the money but actually to help people, great lady she was and deserved her own movie :)
March 4, 2009
really great film....hard to really imagine what these people went through...Thanks for enlightening me Kevin
February 6, 2009
i really thought this movie was wonderful it explained alot about how it was in the camps and how it hurt so many people,
½ September 10, 2008
Christine Lahti stars in this harrowing made-for-cable film based on the real-life story of Gisella Perl, a Jewish Hungarian doctor imprisoned in the notorious Auschwitz death camp of World War II.
August 31, 2008
i would recommend you to watch this one....history!
August 10, 2008
A great performance by Christine Lahti who told the story of Gisella Perl, a Jewish-Hungarian doctor in Auschwitz. A very unique look at the concentration camp life and what people do to survive.
½ August 4, 2008
This was one of those movies that had me thinking all night after I watched it.

The first 20 minutes were slow but as they delved into Dr. Perl's past, it became heartbreaking to witness what this Jewish doctor had to do to survive the Holocaust.

Seeing the pregnant women getting gassed and experimented on by nazi Dr. Menegle made me understand why she performed all those illegal abortions while in Auschwitz.
June 12, 2006
Wim & I went to see [i]The Inconveniant Truth[/i] opening night. On the way there, we saw a college age guy get hit by a car. It was at a 5-way intersection during the day with about 50 witnesses. The guy fell onto the windshield and onto the ground. The car wasn't going very fast, but he still had blood pouring out of his arm. They tried to drive away, but got stuck on his skateboard. When it was obvious they were trying to flee the scene, his friends took down the cars plates and the skateboarder himself tried to talk to them through the window. He asked them, "I hope you aren't trying to leave. You hit me. You have to wait for the Police." The woman on the passenger side said "Well maybe you shouldn't have been in the street." (he was in the crosswalk) The 2 people in the car looked more pissed off that they had hit him, then concerned that he was hurt. I still clearly remember her expression of total annoyance. Those people hopefully got a huge fine, later when the Police showed up at their door for a "hit in run". Anyway, Wim was pretty horrifyed having to witness that. Well me too. I'm glad he was ok. (that's what he said when his friends asked him)
We went to the theater after this. It was hard to get into the movie going mind-set. But we both had been looking forward to this movie. It was crowded, so that was a good sign. I learned a lot watching the movie, I don't know much about global warming, and it was nice that he speaks to all people. I liked the part where he said, after every speech/presentation he goes over how he could help everyone understand more clearly. And I have to say, that all my questions were addressed. He's a good speaker, and definately passionate about the subject. He's not telling you to gain riches or power, he's telling us about it, to save the earth and everyone on it. I hope a lot of people go see it. It's very imformative and important.
He also has a part from a Futurma, "explaining" Global Warming. hehe Very amusing. And ways the common person can make a difference.

Wim found the movie [i]Outfoxed[/i] at that apartment he cleaned/painted, so we decided to watch that. It's about how Fox News is corrupt, biased and completely right-winged. Wow, that Bill O"Reilley is an asshole. They show a whole montage of him shouting at his guests telling them to shut up. All of these people are just calmly sitting in a chair trying to respond to a question he just asked them, and as soon as O'Reilley hears something he doesn't agree with he goes berzerk. He was astonished to hear that a man whose father had been killed in 911, was against war. He was a young soft spoken guy who tried to express his views, then O'Reilley yells at him, asks for his mic to be turned off, and later to be escorted off the grounds because he might have to beat him up. I can't believe he is a journalist. Shouldn't he change jobs to write books about how Bush and the republican party can do no wrong? I don't think being a journalist suits him. It seems like he's totally unprepared to hear opinions that are not his own. It was hard to watch at some points.

We also watched a WW2 movie called [i]Out of the Ashes[/i].
It's a real life story of a Jewish woman that became an Ob/gyn, and had her own succesful practise in Hungary, until she was captured by the Nazis and forced to work in the infirmary where Dr. Mengala did his experiments. She tries to immigrate to America to start over, after her entire family is killed at Auschwitz. The American Gov, interogates her and implies that she helped the Nazis by working in the camp's infirmary. It's nicely done, and very compelling.