Out of the Past - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of the Past Reviews

January 14, 2015
One of the best Film Noir movies with a convoluted plot, style, and a great femme fatale.
½ January 9, 2015
Skoro pa pet. Jane Greer prava poslastica medju fatalkama :)
½ December 4, 2014
I liked the Against All Odds version better
November 24, 2014
A classic Film Noir definitly in the top 50
½ November 14, 2014
Great noir in every aspect.
½ November 12, 2014
can't believe I have never seen this classic film noir, especially since I recently learned the plot of "Against All Odds" is based on it. Enjoyed it. it's held up well, except for the slapping of women...really having trouble watching old movies that objectify women so much.
October 31, 2014
considered as one of the greatest of all film noirs... I liked it.
September 18, 2014
arguably the "Casablanca" of film noir, with Robert Mitchum in his first starring role. Not a wasted word in a brilliant script with a staggering amount of twists for just 96 minutes. The cinematography just adds to genre-defining performances a midst trench coats and cigarette smoke. Essential.
½ July 29, 2014
just one of the all time great classic noirs
July 13, 2014
Mitchum is the coolest cat in the world in this film. One of the best film noir things I've ever seen.
June 25, 2014
Best film noir I have seen so far
½ June 8, 2014
The ultimate film-noir of all time. Can you imagine even the toughest Robert Mitchum has to fall prey to the same femme fatale over and over again?
April 28, 2014
The noiriest of noir movies, probably the best gateway to film noir, if you don't like this you probably won't like film noir.
April 23, 2014
One of the definitive Film Noirs. An ex-private eye is dragged back into the past he tried to leave behind him when an old associate of his finds him and alerts him that one of his old contractors wants to talk to him. Robert Mitchum (in his first starring role) drifts cooly through the film as Jeff Bailey, the cynical detective at the heart of our story, and just about every line out of his mouth is instantly cool. His Jeff Bailey is easily the second best noir character behind Bogart's Philip Marlowe. Jane Greer is a perfect and beautiful femme fetale as Kathie Moffett. Virginia Huston is great and pretty as Bailey's girl Ann Miller. Dickie Moore also puts on a superb supporting performance as The Kid, a deaf and mute teen who acts as Bailey's second hand. Out of The Past is easily one of the best film Noir's you can see, and it's got a lot of the trademarks of noir in it from dark corners, a sexy and hard to read femme fatale, a cynical and wounded private eye, some voice overs, and a twisty plot . This is a great film, plain and simple.
½ April 5, 2014
a pretty good film noir flick.
½ March 29, 2014
A classic noir film that has some of the most chill lines of dialogue I've ever seen in a movie, and a twisting, hard to follow, but very good plot. It's a very conversation oriented movie, and I kinda got a bit sleepy at times and had a hard time following the plot at times. However, with a great plot, excellent noir cinematography, very good acting, the dialogue, and the cool, 1940s vibe, it's an excellent film that deserves its reputation.
½ February 23, 2014
A reserved and world-weary anti-hero, with some secrets behind his back? Check.
Gorgeous women as lethal as their incredible beauty? Check.
A shady villain mixed into some shady business? Check.
One treachery after another, until you don't know who's deceiving who? Check.
"Out of the Past" must be the title that immediately appears in movie filmmaking books about film noir and one can easily understand why. Jacques Torneur's expert direction of light and shadows perfectly captures the mood of this film genre; and the doomed characters can almost be considered as the ideal stereotypes of any film noir.
But most important of all, "Out of the Past" is an excellent picture, dark, complex, a classic on its own right, nevermind to which film genre it belongs to.
February 10, 2014
This movie is a real noir gem. Robert Mitchum plays Jeff Bailey, a gas station owner in a quiet town. An unsavory man approaches him, asking him to visit an old friend.

Jeff is roped back into a dangerous situation, when he must explain to his current girlfriend why he must go to Los Angeles and take care of this business. It has something to do with a femme fatale, an old lover of Jeff's.

With an incredibly twisted narrative and excellent performances all around, Out of the Past is a superb noir film.
½ January 23, 2014
I have to say that I am happy to strike this from the list of Movie Shame titles that I have 'needed' to see for all these years, as it's truly a wonderful film and a pitch-perfect example of the Film Noir genre. It has also kicked off a renewed interest in me for all things Film Noir, so I foresee a lot of rentals and blind-buys in my immediate future.

Robert Mitchum is amazing in this film, laconic and grouchy, resigned to deal with the things life throws at him in a very realistic manner.

Highly Recommended.
January 7, 2014
Complex, stylish, and darkly intriguing.. "Out of the Past" is a definitive noir along with "Double Indemnity."