Outing Riley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Outing Riley Reviews

½ September 18, 2013
Pretty good; like a poor man's Brothers McMullen.
January 22, 2013
Project Greenlight's Pete Jones makes another movie... This time starring him... And NATHAN FILLION!!! Nathan Fillion is worth watching this alone. Alas, the rest of the movie isn't that good. Pete is still rough around the edges of filmmaking, his constant use of freeze frame and voice over is awful, but overall pretty entertaining.
December 26, 2012
Great movie. I laughed so much during this movie. It was also a nice surprise to see Nathan Fillion in this movie. Had no idea he was in it. A a word to the wise, you get to see Nathan's butt in this movie also!
½ October 26, 2011
An interesting walk on the tightrope between stereotypes and true feeling. While the story centers on Bobby's coming out, the most interesting stories are the reactions of his somewhat stereotypical Neanderthal brothers who each have problems of their own. Luckily for Bobby his enlightened and clever sister is also a forger. She is able to lovingly manipulate the family into dealing with each of their quirks while bringing them together after the death of their father. A little too pat, but it provides hope for dealing in a homophobic society.

It's a little hard to believe someone so unable to deal as Bobby can either win the heart of as together a person as Andy (ably played by Michael McDonald)or be as creative professionally as Bobby allegedly is. A good depiction of the dynamics of siblings.
December 27, 2010
½ December 11, 2010
What a heart warming and realistic look at someone's coming out experience. This movie shows the dynamics of a family and the challenges that each face. I found the movie to be not only touching but very funny in parts. I recommend it highly.
July 13, 2010
It's okay. A bit silly and these characters don't really have much for any of us to relate to. But it's mindless fun.
½ April 29, 2010
There's something annoyingly self-satisfied about the smug lead that just makes you wanna slap him hard. Add to that a band of brothers who act like they've just walked off the set of Porky's and the scene is set for a rather irritating coming-out flick. Its a shame as the second half improves a bit but by then the damage has pretty much been done.
March 14, 2010
A really funny, nice movie, made me laugh out loud at parts, and shed a tear in others, a really nice refreshin movie, not too soppy, and not too gay, just right. Nathan Fillion as Luke is brilliant the bed wettin bit had me peein myself!!!
November 7, 2009
Likable characters, good performances and a believable presentation help make this film work. The characters are so nicely developed, you really learn to care about them. Good screenplay. It has a few slow spots, but overall a fine film.
September 3, 2009
Smart and funny. Also the focus was not on the romantic side of the story it was kept on the important part - the lead character's coming out story and it's consequences.
½ August 9, 2009
Crazy and funny. What a great mix of people.
June 9, 2009
It's not without its charm.
May 25, 2009
This was a cute film. It had several laughable moments.
½ April 15, 2009
Quirky and funny. A movie that doesn't rely on the cast, but thoughtful scripting.
April 10, 2009
This was a great movie all around, the acting was spot on, and the story was good in a non-sappy kind of boy meets girl kind of way...I mean, with the exception that it's sort of a "boy meets boy" sort of thing...Nathan Fillion stands out as an adorable druggie dad who with his other brothers doesn't quite grasp that his youngest brother, Riley just happens to be gay...
½ February 22, 2009
I disagree with the synopsis on this page - a clearer indication would be (ditching all but the 1st sentence)." Hurried along by an overenthusiastic sister, much of the film sets up the relationship with the family well so that you are on edge wondering what happens when he finally "outs" himself".
It is an interesting story and told in an amusing way with great characters. But at the end of the day I felt it was unbelievable that the big raving homo wasn't already suspect to everyone, let alone his dumbass family.Worth watching though.
December 23, 2008
for such a low budget film this was well-written and directed. Some great lines! Nathan Fillion stood out of course. The main character was also quite good. A pleasant surprise all around.
½ November 15, 2008
I have said it before and I will say it again, I will watch anything that has Nathan Fillion in it, and this movie fits that rule, so, saying that, it is not a bad movie. It is funny in parts and slow in parts, the scene with the four brothers saying sorry to the girl and her boyfriend is the best part of the movie. So, not great, not bad, but I know one thing, Nathan Fillion could watch paint dry and I would probably watch it, the guy is that cool, so but I might not have watched this movie if he was not in it.
October 29, 2008
Very funny. Interesting family dynamic.