Outland Reviews

• Dec 17, 2019

A spectacular, violent, claustrophobic space western headed by Peter Hyams that leaves the viewer on the edge of his chair.Connery makes good use of his character's fear and delivers a character with great empathy.

• Sep 11, 2019

Above-average science faction action drama has great production design and some suspense, but it's nothing more than a Western set in space.

• Jan 26, 2019

This is 1 of the 2 great films Sean Connery had starred in 1981.

This is 1 of the 2 great films Sean Connery had starred in 1981.

• Dec 13, 2018

Satisfying for a space drama with a strong lead and great production design

Satisfying for a space drama with a strong lead and great production design

• Mar 30, 2018

Sean Connery and science fiction. What more can you ask for. Good movie.

Sean Connery and science fiction. What more can you ask for. Good movie.

• Dec 29, 2017

A pretty solid, late night watching, B-movie.

A pretty solid, late night watching, B-movie.

• Dec 12, 2017

A bad cop good cop space cowboy shootout movie

A bad cop good cop space cowboy shootout movie

• Nov 07, 2017

After The Star Chamber I decided to give it a try on Outland starring who else, Sean Connery. While Peter Hyams isn't everybody's favorite director in the world, he does get s&%t when he tries to make his films more memorable and not something bland. Years ago in the morning when I was watching The Star Chamber waiting to watch the chase scene at the end I was falling asleep. It never happened to me before. But I'm sure it doesn't do a same thing to Outland, and yeah, I didn't fall asleep but it sure is mediocre. I liked the chase scenes in this like in The Star Chamber. It sure has some gory scenes and it really did had some scary moments. This sci-fi thriller is sure looks like the space like in Alien. Even the music score is familiar, he's name is Jerry Goldsmith and he did make the score with the space look so similar, okay, not in the ship but in the Jupiter where drugs exists. It's been run by Sheppard who's been selling drugs in space. No matter how I try, this movie is dull and mediocre to say the least. Yeah, the writing isn't all that great and, hell, even all the Peter Hyams films ain't all that great! Outland is a really forgettable movie and it sometimes has nothing for sci-fi fans to get into, well, they can just manage it to be okay at least. If you are a huge sci-fi fan, go check out the Alien films and Star Wars films. Surely you can get some enjoyment out of them.

• Sep 17, 2017

sean connery is a badass space cop who tries to stop the supply of deadly space drugs

• Jul 21, 2017

Yes, as others have noted again and again, borrowing heavily from "High Noon," this is an archetypical Space Western, but the problem lies in the fact that the movie is neither a very good sci-fi flick, nor a successful cowboy romp. While the set design and special effects create a captivatingly uncanny mise en scene-the Jupiterian mining colony is both familiar and alien-the actual characterization, narrative, and screenplay are all too mundane, predictable, and common.