Outrageous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Outrageous Reviews

March 21, 2015
Like others, over the years, I have watched and re-watched this delightful confection of a movie which possesses the rare combination of feeling almost like an indie/documentary/hand-held camera opus while also being very well made. Like art (or good wine) it wears/ages well, presenting a multi-level array of elements including a fun retro look at the gay/bar/fashion/hair scene of the '70's, the "easy to meet people", fun-loving, and not-yet-cynical attitude regarding social life and relationships, promiscuity as no big deal, and the message of self-love and self-acceptance over conformity. Craig Russell is perfect as the hairdresser looking for that "more" within himself and in life. He and his little coterie of friends create a warm, familiar, and almost cozy sense of affiliation/friendship despite the campy and sometimes abrasive repartee.
This movie has a lot of heart and I "heartily" recommend it.
June 8, 2012
So ahead of it's time!
May 16, 2010
a great movie with a great performance from Craig Russell!
November 7, 2008
This movie is an odd blend of alternative lifestyles and schizophrenia. Personally I liked it a lot although I suppose there will be folks who feel hit over the head with characters with lives very different from their own. The girls struggle to accept and cope with her own madness by supporting her friend in his own self acceptance is very touching and the movie managed to find a lot of humor in drag queens without ever mocking or belittling them. Not to mention a great happy ending, which you might not expect in this movie.
May 11, 2008
I wanted to be more charmed by this than I was. The characters were a little boring.
½ April 26, 2008
This historically important early gay film is pleasant but nothing too special, although Russell's impersonations--of Mae West, Judy Garland, Peggy Lee, and so on--are downright uncanny.
March 6, 2008
One of my favorite films of all time. The late great Craig Russell and a wonderful plot about people finding their own families in New York City. Yay!
January 24, 2008
i saw this movie for the 2nd time at the jefferson square library in nyc during the gay pride season, 1996. it was exciting to be in nyc at that time of the year seeing this movie to boot. it is easy to say that this community doesn't exist any longer but outside of understanding schizophrenia a little better and letting drag queens run for president, do we treat them any better? they still have to find their own way through a very messy and hostile world in 2008. even the pants are back in fashion. this film should be screened this summer and often! craig russell is awesome but i would like to see maclaren again to see if her characterization holds up.
December 25, 2007
A film with loads of heart - and funny with it!
½ November 25, 2007
Fun movie - if you liiked Pricilla Queen of the Desert try this one
November 1, 2007
I accidently came across this movie in a bargain bin at a Walmart! I loved it and so revolutionary for its time. The compassion played between Robin and Liza is truly beautiful and a true ode to friendship. Craig Russel was a talent and Hollis utterly believable in her role.
½ September 12, 2007
Technically crude but still really funny. Notable also as the first feature ever screened at the Toronto International Film Festival.
July 14, 2007
A decent cheapo-budget drama that proves drag queens and schizophrenics are people too.
½ March 30, 2007
Excellent story! Craig Russell was an amazing female impersonator, he had a genuine talent. His impersonation scenes are the best thing in the film. He gives a fine dramatic performance as well. A cool film.