Outside Providence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Outside Providence Reviews

June 8, 2016
That movie was classified in teen movie with all-day smokers. But I like those kind of movies, so everything's good! Rich or poor, they're all the same.
Dans la branche films d'ados on fume toute la journée, il gagne un prix! Mais j'aime bien ce genre de films, alors tout beigne! Riche, moins riche, ils sont tous pareils!
April 2, 2016
How have I never watched this before? It's pretty hilarious and it feels like something I should have been enjoying for years. Stoner comedies rule.
½ April 29, 2015
Pretty uneventful, but has its moments.
March 22, 2015
This movie was a fun watch, went into it expecting nothing and it turned out to be better than I anticipated. Alec Baldwin is the man. And it was filled with a lot of real issues that you can relate to today.
January 17, 2014
Boring, shoddily-made coming-of-age story. Film suffers greatly by both montage and soundtrack overuse. Every scene transition seems to have a different '70s rock song without any rhyme or reason to its use.
September 8, 2013
Some good laughs--mostly delivered by Alex Baldwin--and some good messages for young people. The character "Drugs" dies in a car accident, showing the consequences of mixing intoxicants and driving, and the main character learns to take responsibility for his actions and that work in school makes a difference to your whole adult life. This movie is really nothing like Dazed and Confused, which had no moral compass.
July 29, 2013
Pretty funny, and a tad bit heartwarming at times
June 2, 2013
Timothy Dunphy: Brown University? They got one of those in Providence!

"There once was a kid from Pawtucket..."

I was pleasantly surprised by Outside Providence. It wasn't a movie that looked or sounded all that interesting to me, but my boredom soon got the best of me and I gave it a look. There's nothing all that smart going on with the filmmaking. The story is breaking new ground, the acting is just average, and the dialogue works sometimes and other times it doesn't. With all that said, I still enjoyed the film for the most part.

After a night of partying, Tim(nicknamed Dildo by his father) and his friends are driving home when they crash into a parked police car. His father is angry, angry enough to send him away to a prep school. Upon arrival there, he clashes with the headmaster and begins to be labeled as the stupid, trouble maker. He also meets a girl who he begins to romance. Basically the movie is a lot of smoking weed and drinking surrounded by some drifting, school scenes, and family sequences.

The films writing is a bit weak to say the least. It doesn't seem that well thought out, but in the end, it gets there; even if just barely. Outside Providence is worth a look for the 70's teenage partying culture(if you're into it), but it isn't a movie I would say needs to be watched. If you stumble across it one day though, give it a shot.
March 9, 2013
Extremely forgettable.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
December 4, 2012
This underrated Comedy does not get it's proper due. The soundtrack is amazing and Alec Baldwin as the father is rock solid. By far the best of the Farrelly Brothers' movies!
½ November 25, 2012
Outside Providence is a real feel good movie. It's starts out and you
think it's going to be a stoner movie, or maybe a kid rise out of a
broken family movie, you even hate the father immediately. Alec Baldwin
is over acting that role, but at some point... you're saying to
yourself: "It's just right". It is a caricature, but a sensible one.

The evolution of the main character is truly believable, and you're
given all the right milestones to his progression. The rescue he
conjure up is even realistic.

The acting is good, even if the stoners are overdone, especially the
main one. The editing is invisible, the soundtrack well incorporated,
the story interesting, the dialogues solid, and the romance very sweet.

See it, and you'll have a good evening.
November 1, 2012
Wonderful. A touching and real coming of age story.
April 13, 2012
Solid comedy but not the most original idea
½ January 7, 2012
A movie version of Freaks and Geeks only not good at all. Thought it might be like Dazed and Confused written by the Farrelly Brothers but it was just awful. I do not recommend this.
January 6, 2012
jai pas trop aimé le film.
December 10, 2011
Found this to be surprisingly entertaining. Definitely more than meets the eye. Alec Baldwin is very funny as the father. Recommended.
October 14, 2011
Solid. Baldwin is great (as usual)
July 27, 2011
I've been meaning to check this out for awhile, and it finally happened. Such good stuff. A great lil coming of age story set in the 70s. Good drugs, good friends, good music, good lessons learned. Can the Farrelly's do no wrong?
June 2, 2011