Outside the Law Reviews

• Jan 02, 2014

Inventive crime drama about jewel thieves, with romance, emotion, glamour and suspense.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Dec 03, 2010

A pretty good crime drama, I think Browning is better at horror, but this movie was enjoyable. The story is good, and the actors too, it's not great, but I liked it anyway.

• Feb 15, 2010

Minor Chaney effort is still somewhat interesting.

Minor Chaney effort is still somewhat interesting.

• May 21, 2009

Tod Browning's atmospheric silent crime melodrama is an early collaboration with screen icon Lon Chaney. As memorable as Chaney's dual role is, it's really only a supporting performance, but Priscilla Dean and Wheeler Oakman make compelling leads. The story is uneven, but it has some effective suspense scenes and an exciting climax - dated notions of cultural sensitivity and moral judgement aside. A solid early effort, but it pales in comparison to the dark gothic masterpieces Browning and Chaney would make a few years later.