Over the Hill Gang Rides Again - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Over the Hill Gang Rides Again Reviews

½ September 17, 2011
110910: Though it made me laugh a couple times, I just found this sequel lost its comedic edge. Much better picture quality than the first.
March 7, 2011
Same as the first one for me...not my style.
½ March 24, 2008
This sequel is equal too if not a little bit better than the original, it has a more interesting plot, but it still is lacking in many ways. The presence of Fred Astaire is a good thing.
October 22, 2004
A pair of Western comedies with a concept - make the sidekicks the stars. The made-for-TV (by Aaron Spelling) result is servicable enough, but too sterile for my taste.

In the first, Pat O'Brien plays an aged former Texas Ranger captain whose daughter summons him to Boulder, where the town is being run into the ground by a corrupt mayor and his cronies. Her husband, Ricky Nelson, is running for mayor but doesn't stand a chance. The captain sends out the call for the best of his former crew - all guys who are washed up and slowed down by age.

So we have Walter Brennan, Chill Wills and Edgar Buchanan. The cast also includes squeaky voiced Andy Devine (as a corrupt judge), and Jack Elam as the bad sheriff.

Good enough for a sequel, part two leaves out Pat O'Brien and concentrates on Brennan, Wills and Buchanan. They get word that a former Ranger friend is in trouble in Waco. They arrive and find out that he is dead. They head to the saloon for a drink and notice an old drunk at the end of the bar. Well, that's their friend, the Baltimore Kid, played by Fred Astaire. They take him and get him sobered up and cleaned up. Soon, he's ready to be town marshall, with the help of the three aged Rangers.

These were part of a four-movie disc that was purchased for $5 at Farm and Fleet in Bloomington, Illinois. I beginning to believe this was a money losing proposition all around - for me, for the store and for the company that packaged these crap movies on DVD.