Overnight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Overnight Reviews

August 18, 2016
A tense and insightful look at a man's exploding ego, and alienation of everyone around him.
July 29, 2016
The thing that alarmed me about Overnight was the fact that Troy Duffy seemed like one of them people as a kid who would say or do anything to get what he wants, insulting people because he thinks he can, only because he thinks he's "Hollywood's next hard-on." Both of his movies Boondock Saints movies have been box-office failures and was received poorly by critics, calling it "A Quentin Tarantino knock-off."
½ April 19, 2016
Interesting but nothing groundbreaking. A chronicling of the rise and immediate fall of the self absorbed, pretentious and borderline psychopathic creator of "cult classic".The Boondock Saints, a film I consider to be one of the worst ever made. All I needed was one more reason to hate it.
April 12, 2016
I think this is one of the best docs I've ever seen. Fantastic storytelling. It's not easy to tell a parable in real time. Well done.
July 12, 2015
This behind-the-scenes documentary of The Boondock Saints is better than the final film. This is the story of an arrogant jerk who was handed an incredible opportunity on a silver platter for writing a schlocky film and producing a bland rock album, and then blew it by pissing off everyone he came in contact with. The viewer takes delight in watching him fail.
May 10, 2015
A very poorly-made documentary, but the story itself is pretty interesting. It's kind of an instructive lesson on how not to deal with people. Honestly I think a more interesting movie could be made on how the heck he got a sequel through production.
September 3, 2014
A depressing and cautionary tale that should be seen by everyone who hopes to be involved in the film making process. I love Boondock Saints, but after everything I've seen, the film definitely has me questioning my views on Troy Duffy.
½ July 27, 2014
The evolution of the people in this documentary is what makes it worth watching. Behind the scenes shots and a small peak into the movie biz add to the 'neat' factor.
May 27, 2014
A fascinating and enthralling look at the lightning-quick rise and self-destruction of would-be auteur, Troy Duffy.

It's car-crash viewing that transcends the talents of it's directors, who struggle to maintain coherence as Duffy tries to save his movie and secure a record deal for his band, flitting between equally explosive meetings with his group and phone conversations with agents and executives. One particular non-sequitur highlighting Duffy's misogyny towards the end of the film feels completely misplaced and only included to further discredit a subject who has done a bang up job of assassinating his own character in the previous sixty minutes.

In spite of the limitations of its directors, this documentary still succeeds off the back of its subject as a spectacular parable for aspiring movie makers.

You might feel inclined to watch Boondock Saints, the movie responsible for Troy's success and failure, afterwards... But I'd advise against it.
March 11, 2014
I did enjoy both the Boondock Saints movies (for reasons beyond my understanding), but man, Troy Duffy is INSANE. He's pretty much the embodiment of the saying 'pride comes before a fall', and it was kind of a delight to watch him crash and burn.
January 24, 2014
If you're a Boondock Saints fan this documentary is for you. It shows a talented writer and drirector named Troy Duff who has pissed off almost everybody in Hollywood. After watching this you will have a greater appreciation of the Boondock Saints movies.
½ April 29, 2013
The incredible true story of a man given the ultimate once in a lifetime opportunity and single handedly destroying everything & burning every possible bridge.

He had a killer fresh script & big people wanted it but he alienated everyone & the documentary doesn't hide who he was & how he behaved.

Even his brother steps away from him & he truly becomes out of control & loses everything. Although the Doco is amateur in its construction Troy Duffy is that stupid & arrogant it makes up for it.

A must see Doco of what not to do in Film...
April 13, 2013
It's not a particularly well presented documentary, but it's still better than the film it is about.
½ March 28, 2013
This could have easily been titled "How to Commit Career Suicide in Every Possible Way." Since I loathed the Boondock Saints, I was curious to see why it became such a failure of a film. From viewing this documentary, I reached the following conclusion: The Boondock Saints may have actually been a good idea on paper, but due to Duffy's overwhelming arrogance, disgusting sense of entitlement, and complete inability to work with anyone, the film suffered because Duffy ruined any good deal that was thrown at him it all just went according to his talentless vision because that was all he could accept. It really is quite hilarious and pathetic when a documentary detailing how much of a failure you are is infinitely better than the film you made.
February 6, 2013
In which Troy Duffy is a complete and total dick for an hour and a half. Pop some popcorn, sit back, and watch him drown in his own ego.
January 22, 2013
Sometimes a movie just makes you want to throw up all the way through. Does the end justify the means? Maybe not. However, I believe in the Movie God because after all the shit, backstabbing, and conniving arrogance somehow we end up with "Boondock Saints" on the shelf and it is untainted by the festering evil that created it. Blessed be, Movie God, for thy name is the Lord. Back to the movie, it's an effective documentary, not too in depth, but I would've been scared to go any deeper.
January 5, 2013
Not terrible, considering it clearly wasn't the movie they set out to make, but the subject outshines the filmmaking.
½ January 3, 2013
For Duffy, his biggest enemy was himself. Although this documentary tries to make out Harvey Weinstein as some sort of Hollywood tyrant (which apparently isn't that far from the truth), Duffy was the one who ultimately destroyed his own career and that of his fellow band-mates who were too intimidated to stand up to him and tell him that he was going all about it the wrong way.
½ December 3, 2012
Overnight shows how greed and selfishness corrupt the human soul.