Oy-sama (Lady yu) (Miss Oyu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oy-sama (Lady yu) (Miss Oyu) Reviews

½ March 24, 2014
Rather ridiculous plot benefits from the Mizoguchi touch.
½ January 15, 2014
Forbidden love, suppresion of women's personal freedoms, impossibility of true happiness. These are the themes which Mizoguchi's pretty and well acted romance drama touch upon, as he had done many times before Miss Oyu. Still, while thematically this may not be a wholly original film, there are undeniable pleasures here.
May 12, 2011
This is probably the first time I hate a film by Mizoguchi. Unappealing, depressing story about three people who cannot be honest to each other and themselves. I can't argue that technically it's a gem, but to indulge myself in its unimpressive state of affair is another day in hell.
½ December 12, 2010
A man falls in love with his fiancee's sister, a widowed woman who has to live with her husband's family and who cannot remarry, but who falls in love with him. An interesting look at old Japenese conventions.
½ August 17, 2010
The story is a fairly generic melodramatic tear-jerker. However, Mizoguchi's direction is truly stunning here. The mise-en-scene is painterly and the strong acting elevates the melodrama.
½ July 3, 2010
very unique modern japanese style