I'm probably going to get a lot of flack, but I really enjoyed this film. More so than the original.

Yes, it's true, I enjoyed "Oz the Great and Powerful" much more than the original "Wizard of Oz". I don't expect anyone else to agree, but I will state why I enjoyed it.

Had I grown up in a time where the innocence of the "Wizard of Oz" took place, I probably would have been able to find a connection to the characters in that film. Unfortunately I didn't, and I don't. I do find a connection to the characters in this film though.

I can see the man that the Wizard played by James Franco is, and who he wants to be.... and who he becomes. If I read the character wrong, then as he states in the film, "He fooled me too". I like the goofiness he brought to the role. I once knew a guy like him who strove for greatness, only seeing the dark within himself, not realizing that others saw how kind he was. He wasn't a great man, he was a good man and was the kind who would have a tough "womanizing" exterior, but helped people in need without ever telling others or knowing that others knew about his deeds.

I liked the wicked witch being played by Mila Kunis, because she plays sweet and innocent well. She only embraces the wickedness within her after her heart is broken, when she realizes that everything she wanted were her own wants and not something that was shared. In her naivety, she broke her own heart, but wanted "Oz" to see that he made her that way. She was a girl, who's dreams were broken and needed someone to blame.

What made it all believable was that she was trying hard to be evil and he was trying to believe that there was something good in him. The awkwardness falls in well with characters who jumped in to and are trying to fit in their "new skin".

Again, I expect many people to disagree, but for me, I loved it. The characters were relate-able and I loved them all.
Jada Abrahaniam
03-16-2013 09:42 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Heather Cuthill

Heather Cuthill

Well, the original is still one of my all-time favourite movies. However I enjoyed this one a lot. Although the 3D in the IMAX version was quite blurry, which definitely detracted from the look of the film for me, especially since I have a vivid memory of how wonderful the 3D looked in Life of Pi.

Mar 22 - 08:48 AM

Dawn Rogers

Dawn Rogers

I went with friends and the people in the theater clapped at the end. We thought it was terrific a new classic.

Mar 20 - 11:02 AM

Sixer Nick

Sixer Nick

Other than Kunis ruining what could have been an awesome Wicked Witch, I thought it was really well done. What a gorgeous movie. Loved it. How this is at 62% and Silver Linings Shitbook is at 92%, I will never know. People are dumb.

Mar 19 - 05:52 AM

Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty

People are dumb? The script from OZ was pretty awful and gave very little character development. For example, Why was Theodora such a dumb A$$ and so easily fooled by her manipulative sister. We got far too little on the background on any of the three witches. Am I the only one who kept thinking "MEG" from Family Guy when Theodora had her meltdown?

Mar 22 - 01:00 AM

Mark Fansler

Mark Fansler

Me and the fam just watched and thought it was GREAT! Loved it loved it! Great subtle undertone messages. Simply Wonderful.

Mar 18 - 07:41 PM

Jed

Jed Groff

The acting was a atrocious and it had a bunch of tonal inconsistencies, but it was good nonetheless.

Mar 18 - 05:33 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Well it's a way damn better see than that shit Jack the Giant Slayer XD

Mar 18 - 02:03 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile