Oz the Great and Powerful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oz the Great and Powerful Reviews

½ September 4, 2016
I really don't understand the negative reviews for this movie. I actually didn't see it in theater based on the reviews. I finally rented it when I had rented almost everything else in the local Redbox. This was a wonderful movie, some of the special effects are a bit much, but, yet they are in keeping with the style of the much loved earlier movie; in context they are wonderful. I've learned a valuable lesson, not to listen to critics on live action Disney movies! I have now also missed seeing the Lone Ranger movie that was similarly blasted in reviews and I have a feeling that was good as well.
½ August 23, 2016
Oz The Great and Powerful is one of those forgetable Disney films. This is like one of those films where you say to one guy "hey have you seen oz the great and powerful"? And the other guy is like "what movie"? The film is ok. The design for oz is cool and some of the visuals can be great. But all of the characters are forgetable. They really don't try to make you remember them like Snow White or Cruela Devil. It's an ok film not one of Disney's best films but an ok one.
½ August 22, 2016
Oz The Great And Powerful has received a rather mixed reception from fans of the original and its Sequel Return To Oz while I can totally see why many think it was disappointing I personally enjoy it quite a bit, The cinematography is lavish and a feast for the eyes, The special effects are rather stunning,The landscapes are crafted with such elegance,James Franco was pretty good as the wizard and I found many of the other side characters to be likeable and cute but however there is many areas where it is lacking for example, Mila Kunis is wildly miscast as the wicked witch and her makeup was awfully executed, They unnecessarily incorporated a war element that does not belong in this type of franchise, The tone can be rather inconsistent at times also.
Overall I would recommend it 7/10
½ August 19, 2016
Wittily written creative prequel with numerous clever moments that keep you engaged through the few slow patches. Better than I anticipated.
July 16, 2016
Once I got passed Franco's strange mannerisms, and mediocre actress Mila Kunis, the movie turned out worthy of being a sequel to the classic. While the casting was somewhat unappealing, I enjoyed the film based on its story and in the end I came to accept Franco as the wizard, even though I'm not a big fan of his.
July 16, 2016
Love it so much it was the best movie ever
½ July 14, 2016
Just one big, bold word, with an exclamation mark at the end: AMAZING! Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and James Franco all did WONDERFUL! The best movie of 2013, possibly all-time.
½ July 12, 2016
Most movies nowadays rely on sex and, now redundant, over-the-top special effects, but I found that "Oz the Great and Powerful" did not suffer from these traits - it seems that the critics help drive this absurdity. I assumed that this new film would disgrace the 1939 movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I also liked that some of the (simple) features from The Wizard of Oz (1939) were retained, like the black smoke emitted from the witches flying broom.
½ July 12, 2016
Most movies nowadays rely on sex and, now redundant, over-the-top special effects, but I found that "Oz the Great and Powerful" did not suffer from these traits - It seems that the critics help drive this absurdity. I assumed that this new film would disgrace the original movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I also liked that some of the simple features from "The Wizard of Oz" were retained, like the black smoke emitted from the witches flying broom.
July 11, 2016
Sort of suits well as an inferior, typically-enjoyable prequel to a great benchmarking classic with the imagination and art direction given an update through Disney's trademark approach, resulting the film to have managed a standing rate of 4 stars. Some performances went too much to match the intended level, while the narrative pieces and transitions were short and rough, as well occasionally cartoonish. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
July 5, 2016
Half star deducted for the Mariah Carey pop song interrupting Elfman's score. Oz was beautifully imagined and kept its fresh, child-like tone while still respecting the original. Oz was sweeter and more fun than I'd hoped.
½ June 19, 2016
A mess of a movie that is difficult to follow, despite its sometimes plodding pace. Franco can do so much better than this.
June 9, 2016
I had a huge misconception in thinking the movie was just a remake of Wizard of Oz. It turned out to be a prequel about Oz which was a good twist. I had a bad experience watching those modern fairy tale remakes. It'll be so cool if Alice in Wonderland and Oz is in the same realm...everything is all colorful and weird...oh wait they are produced by the same people....
½ May 24, 2016
"Oz The Great And Powerful" is just okay and simply lacks the magic of the original classic.
½ May 11, 2016
Well crafted film that often brings us back to the same feelings that made OZ such an amazing film back in 1939.
½ May 7, 2016
this movie is really great with a lots of action and little bit funny too
May 3, 2016
A fun and dazzling adaptation of a classic tale, Oz The Great and Powerful works as both a stand alone introduction as well as a prequel to the classic 1939 film - that only suffers from being somewhat overlong and a weak Mila Kunis performance.
½ May 1, 2016
James Franco's performance is so bad, it made it hard to enjoy the movie, his delivery in every scene is lazy and has zero emotions. It's sad for me to say that I think he has peaked as an actor, I really enjoyed 127 hours but I cannot name another movie with him as the lead that I could say is even good. As far as the story goes? OZ is not the kind of man you root for , he's a jerk and I wanted him to fail. A good movie should always let me in, make me feel as if I'm there with the characters , but I was on the outside looking in throughout the entire film.
May 1, 2016
enjoyed most definitely
April 22, 2016
The Wizard of Oz (1939) is easily considered one of the greatest films of all time; it is a part of nearly everyone's childhood, and any attempt to add to that legacy, especially in film, has always been met with scrutiny and criticism. While this prequel from Disney doesn't come close to the massive standard set by its predecessor, it is still a good time. Oz is now an almost completely CGI animated background, much like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010). Thankfully, the cast, especially star James Franco, is just as animated and help bring this exciting, sometimes touching story to life.
You'll like it if...you are an Oz fan, especially one waiting for a follow-up to Return to Oz (1985).