Oz the Great and Powerful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oz the Great and Powerful Reviews

July 5, 2016
Half star deducted for the Mariah Carey pop song interrupting Elfman's score. Oz was beautifully imagined and kept its fresh, child-like tone while still respecting the original. Oz was sweeter and more fun than I'd hoped.
½ June 19, 2016
A mess of a movie that is difficult to follow, despite its sometimes plodding pace. Franco can do so much better than this.
June 9, 2016
I had a huge misconception in thinking the movie was just a remake of Wizard of Oz. It turned out to be a prequel about Oz which was a good twist. I had a bad experience watching those modern fairy tale remakes. It'll be so cool if Alice in Wonderland and Oz is in the same realm...everything is all colorful and weird...oh wait they are produced by the same people....
½ May 24, 2016
"Oz The Great And Powerful" is just okay and simply lacks the magic of the original classic.
½ May 11, 2016
Well crafted film that often brings us back to the same feelings that made OZ such an amazing film back in 1939.
½ May 7, 2016
this movie is really great with a lots of action and little bit funny too
May 3, 2016
A fun and dazzling adaptation of a classic tale, Oz The Great and Powerful works as both a stand alone introduction as well as a prequel to the classic 1939 film - that only suffers from being somewhat overlong and a weak Mila Kunis performance.
½ May 1, 2016
James Franco's performance is so bad, it made it hard to enjoy the movie, his delivery in every scene is lazy and has zero emotions. It's sad for me to say that I think he has peaked as an actor, I really enjoyed 127 hours but I cannot name another movie with him as the lead that I could say is even good. As far as the story goes? OZ is not the kind of man you root for , he's a jerk and I wanted him to fail. A good movie should always let me in, make me feel as if I'm there with the characters , but I was on the outside looking in throughout the entire film.
May 1, 2016
enjoyed most definitely
April 22, 2016
The Wizard of Oz (1939) is easily considered one of the greatest films of all time; it is a part of nearly everyone's childhood, and any attempt to add to that legacy, especially in film, has always been met with scrutiny and criticism. While this prequel from Disney doesn't come close to the massive standard set by its predecessor, it is still a good time. Oz is now an almost completely CGI animated background, much like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010). Thankfully, the cast, especially star James Franco, is just as animated and help bring this exciting, sometimes touching story to life.
You'll like it if...you are an Oz fan, especially one waiting for a follow-up to Return to Oz (1985).
April 21, 2016
i absolutely loved this film
½ April 17, 2016
Okay, but not nearly as good as I had hoped.
April 8, 2016
This movie suprised me. I just thought it woukd be some other generic Oz movie, but it was really good. The visuals were beautiful to look at, and the characters look the way you think they would if they were young men and women. One drawback for me was Mila Khunis as the Wicked Witch, which was not a good choice. When I see her, I don't think of her as the Wicked Witch of the West. Other than that, if you can tolerate it, you'll enjoy it as much as the first Wizard of Oz.
April 3, 2016
Oz the Great and Powerful is a decent prequel to The Wizard Of Oz.

The film has mostly good characters, with expansion and depth to them.

Visually the film is stunning and the 3D that goes along with it, is amazing, some of the best 3D I've seen in a film; this 3D adds more beauty, wonder and dazzle to the story. So I highly recommend viewing this film in 3D.

Although, the film does suffer from some tonal inconsistency; lacking some darker themes and quirky elements that this film would benefit from. Also at times some of the acting can be uneven.
April 1, 2016
Visually beautiful, exciting for a majority of the time, yet there are a bunch of flaws.
½ March 10, 2016
Oz the Great and Powerful isn't that interesting, it's a copy of Wicked and it's too complicated to follow. The only thing that really stands out aside from the effects is the charming performance by James Franco.
February 29, 2016
A perfectly serviceable film.
½ February 21, 2016
Fun, family flick!

Originally written on March 8, 2013--
As someone who has loved the original Wizard of Oz classic starring Judy Garland for more than 40 years, I had mixed feelings when I heard that Disney was going to do this prequel story based on the works of L. Frank Baum. But I have to admit, I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I thought I would! Just finding out how the wizard ends up in Oz in the first place, why the Wicked Witch of the West flies on a broom, and what other fantastic places and characters exist in that magical land beyond what is shown in the 1939 MGM musical is a real treat. But the best part of this film is how it doesn't take away anything that has been built up before but rather expounds on it and enhances it in a way that is entirely respectful of Baum's legacy. Fantastic film. Two thumbs up!