Paddington Reviews

• 5d ago

I remember my wife and I seeing the trailers for Paddington and discussing how repulsive the CGI bear appeared, how childish the humor seemed, and that we should actively avoid it. At some point after the sequel was released, I started to hear a general murmur among movie buffs saying that this was a truly great pair of films that more people should see. I was more than a little skeptical, but decided this might be something worth exploring further. Finally, I was given the nudge to seek it out, and I must admit it is considerably better than I anticipated. The CGI look of the bear is still a little off-putting to me because he looks a bit too artificial to be a living creature in the scene with real humans, but also a bit too real to be a fully animated thing humorously juxtaposed on reality. It’s in that awkward middle ground and can get even more ugly to look at when the fur gets tangled, matted, or soaked with water. Also, there is some of that childish gross-out humor that I worried about, but that is a small part of the film which was probably just included in the ad campaigns because it’s the easiest type of humor to show in quick shots. The magic of Paddington is in the pure Britishness of it all. This is a film that sees both the wonder and frustration of life in London. For example, t shows the surprising politeness and courtesy of the people who live there, but it also discusses how often they have to endure wet and rainy days. I connect with a lot of this British humor, and I liked how they treated the presence of a talking bear in the film. They did just enough to imply this isn’t something that happens every day, but not so much that everyone has their mouth agape in shock when confronted with the friendly bear. The plot is one that I’ve seen many times before, and it’s not really my favorite storyline. This is the type of movie where you can predict everything that is coming well in advance. However, there’s a level of charm to the film (particularly in the demeanor of that marmalade-loving bear) that I can’t help enjoying myself despite all the familiar tropes. Paddington is a movie that had a lot going against it, but still managed to work for me because it is extremely endearing. The cast is all amazing, and each of them create fun quirky characters. This movie won me over in ways I never would have expected, and is a solid recommendation (even for adults.)

• Nov 03, 2019

He is empathetic and his white humor is perfect.

He is empathetic and his white humor is perfect.

• Oct 29, 2019

Paddington is a really nice family movie. Some of the shots and sets are very interesting to look at.

• Oct 02, 2019

One of the best films ever. My go to film to make me smile.

One of the best films ever. My go to film to make me smile.

• Jul 20, 2019

Masterpiece. Superb animations and blending of animation and real footage. Enjoyable and funny.

• Jun 10, 2019

strange. didnt bother watching it all

strange. didnt bother watching it all

• May 28, 2019

What a wonderful movie. It shows the charming attitude of Paddington and how his clumsiness bonds him with the rest of the Browns.

• May 20, 2019

I really liked this movie, it was very cute. The story of a bear from Peru that gets adopted by a family in England. I would watch again a go to movie for me I'd say give it a watch good for all ages.

• Apr 19, 2019

I Loved This Movie When I Was 8 Years Old. And I Still Love This Movie!

I Loved This Movie When I Was 8 Years Old. And I Still Love This Movie!

• Apr 01, 2019

Perfect Film for all ages.

Perfect Film for all ages.