Padre Padrone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Padre Padrone Reviews

November 2, 2014
A piece of Italian cinema that deserves to be seen by new generations. Tough and very interestingly shot, this film is a hard one to chew on but it's also and incredibly piece of cinema.
April 5, 2014
So, so boring ugh !!
½ December 14, 2013
Had a hard time getting into this film at first, and I had to start over twice. But then I set aside distraction and gave it a real chance. I discovered an unforgettable gem in this film about fathers and sons and about wanting more than your ancestors can even imagine.
June 5, 2013
A fine picture by the Tavianis. This is really a shepherd's drama with the main character being one and trying to escape this destiny. The one factor and person keeping him tied to this destiny is his father. The titular padre padrone. The film offers some beautiful images and strange events of a shepherd's life both as a child and a twenty year old man. Acting wise the film is covered by the naturalistic cast whose harshness match their surroundings. Standouts? Both Omero Antonutti as the father and Saverio Marconi as the twenty year old Gavino. The film's main issue is I believe the style. It is too straightforward and naturalistic while the picture at times isn't. There is a nice absurdism under the surface and in some sequences it really shines. Overall this is one to watch and appreciate for its naturalistic merits.
May 25, 2013
Note to self : Already watched it partly. Don't go for it again.
February 6, 2013
This is a confronting film, and not just for the scenes involving bestiality, but because of the tyrant-like father and his treatment of his entire family. When the father removes his son from classes to tend to his family's flock he gives the children in class a stern reminder, today it is Gavino but tomorrow it is you, highlighting the lack of opportunities these children had growing up. The flight of many of these now young men to Germany offers a ray of hope to their dreary world, but the disappointment and despair that sets in as Gavino must return to his family and the countryside is truly palpable. This wasn't the easiest film to watch but it all combines to create a powerful experience from the in your face and flamboyant antics of the father to Gavino's simplistic and almost haunting whistling as a means of standing up once and for all to his father. Not for the feint hearted but well worthwhile if you can stick with it.
September 13, 2012
Who do you think we are? Just think about it.
February 1, 2011
A very educative picture on education, for the kids, for the parents, for all of us.
½ January 13, 2011
Inside this coming-of-age story, there are some surprising moments that work. But too often either the more surreal moments come off as contrived or the day-to-day realities of physical abuse or illiteracy don't resonate emotionally.
½ July 28, 2009
Vencedor do Festival de Cinema de Cannes de 1977, este clássico dos irmãos Taviani baseia-se na autobiografia de Gavino Ledda.
June 23, 2009
June 6, 2009
A story of growing up and surviving under the control of abusive father. Had potential but for me it didn't quite work.
½ May 13, 2009
It could be seen as a documentary on life, family and family values in agrarian areas in the Mediterranean only a few decades back.
½ April 30, 2009
Pretty good Italian film from 1977 that won the Palme D'Or. It's about a boy who is taken from school by his father to become a shepherd. The father treats him badly and works him extremely hard. There are some excellent moments throughout, particularly all the scenes with the young Gavino, but when he grows up to 20 years old, I felt the film lost a lot of its greatness. It still had some very good moments, I particularly loved the scene near the end with Gavino whistling in front of his father, but it just didn't have enough of those moments to make me really love it. Watch for future Palme D'Or winner Nanni Moretti in the film as Gavin's friend in school who helps him out.
½ March 7, 2009
A real and moving story.
March 6, 2009
Vi esta película dos veces y quedé muy bien impresionado de la grandeza de los directores para llevar a la pantalla el estilo de vida crudo en ciertas regiones de Italia
November 9, 2008
very disturbing movie with imagery. Pretty depressing but reminds you to be thankful for what you and what kind of people are around you.
October 25, 2008
Magnificent, outstanding Cinema Verité
September 26, 2008
A film that like Rocco & his Brothers by Visconti, deals very much with southern Italy and its mired troubles. I found it fascinating that this is not a rags to riches type story but more of an observation of the trials of mankind to adjust. It is a movie for all time and one of timeless depth and it really made me wonder how sometimes even in the richest lands, mankind always has surprises waiting. A nice film to watch with El Norte in my opinion.
½ September 4, 2008
What is this movie all about? I was expecting some tearjerking and uplifting story of a boy who was always being abused by his father, but what i got was absurdity. Really, i need some enlightenment, i really didn't get the story. please.