Paint Your Wagon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paint Your Wagon Reviews

May 1, 2016
Another lost rating from flixster :(

Watch just to see lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood sing!
December 23, 2015
It's been awhile since I saw this last, but it was a yearly favourite whenever it showed up on TV. The songs are memorable and want you to sing along. Besides, Clint Eastwood singing is worth the whole thing.
November 28, 2015
If you like Eastwood and Lee Marvin and can endure some so, so songs it is a enjoyable.
November 21, 2015
My 1st even Clint Eastwood film. Saw it at 12.
November 15, 2015
This is a magnificent movie, made in the late 60's and on location. Its beautifully original and shows two top draw actors operating outside of their comfort zone. For Marvin its important that his song Wandering Star earned him a gold record. The cast is varied and the story entertaining the only people I have ever known who did not enjoy this romp are millennials and pseudo intellectuals.
November 2, 2015
Yes there are too many slow spots.

Clint Eastwood is a pacifist. Lee Marvin is a bawdy rough gold miner with strong loyalties.

Clint doesn't give his alleged movie name till the end; until then he is known as 'Partner', in various pronunciations.

Ray Walston is a hoot as Mad Jack, an Irish gold miner.

Clint, Lee and Ray all sing and actually do well. None of them are operatic voices but they do entertain.

Harve Presnell, as Hard Luck Willie, sings a wonderful version of 'They call the Wind Maria'

All in all it is a great, though very unusual, musical. Stick through the slow and enjoy the humor.
October 26, 2015
It has multiple wonderfully staged musical scenes and four really great songs. And I'd watch it just for the "A Coach is Coming In" scene. It's hardly perfect, but it's a enjoyable watch.
½ October 24, 2015
Never cared for this one.
October 15, 2015
One of my teenage years favorite movie! Loved the soundtrack, handsome Clint and risque romps, at least to a young girl!
October 5, 2015
I loved this movie. If you're looking for something to just sit back and relax and enjoy this is it. Just enjoy movie and quit the serious rating.
½ August 15, 2015
I Was Born Under a Wandering Star - memorable song. But the 3 way marriage was a little kinky. Saw this in Manhattan Beach.
July 28, 2015
A miscast musical that nearly strikes a chord.
I first knew of this Broadway musical from covers done by (of all people) The Smothers Brothers. "They Call the Wind Maria" & "I talk to the Trees". I have no doubt that the stage version was much better.

While Marvin had proven his comedy chops (as Eastwood would in later years), neither has ever been known for their musical talent. I can't really add "for good reason" since Eastwood has since become known as a decent jazz pianist & aficionado. A shame that "The Pardner" didn't play pie-aney instead of the guitar. Suffice it to say that in 1969 singing should have been at the bottom of their list of talents. Harve Presnell's fabulous ability to carry a tune almost seems out of place until we remember his character's talents within the film. However since this film is about mountain men & an untamed wilderness, their untrained vocal talents seem to fit - & this film is worth watching.

Pay attention to excellent performances by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Ray Walston, & Benny Baker - who reminds me of a guy I used to work with.
½ June 12, 2015
Musicals and westerns? NO!
April 19, 2015
I don't care for musicals, but this one is fun with Lee Marvin/Clint Eastwood and all the great character actors. It's worth suffering through the two trying to sing lol
April 17, 2015
Paint Your Wagon is absurdly fascinating. It features an epic western setting, elaborate sets and tons of extras, yet this movie is absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea how a movie this silly got such a large budget. And I also have no idea why Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood agreed to be in it. The story is all over the place and, as strange as it sounds, there are too many musical numbers in this musical. This movie is almost worth watching because of how jaw-droppingly strange it is.
½ October 18, 2014
I learned that Clint Eastwood can kind of sing (certainly better than Johnny Depp or Pierce Brosnan), Harve Presnell can REALLY sing, and Lee Marvin likes to drink. I also learned how to look at my watch.
July 30, 2014
One of my favorites, not nearly as bad as many make it out to be.
½ June 4, 2014
I grew up watching this. As an adult, I have used it as a teaching aid. Though it may not have been very entertaining to audiences when it was released, my students -- all usually distracted in their classes by meme blogs and Facebook status updates, chuckled and seemed to enjoy the show when I screened it. For one thing, the musical numbers have staying power although it is obvious that Marvin and Eastwood (especially Eastwood) have no business singing them.

This film has some clever moments. For instance, the number, "There's a Coach Coming In," essentially a kind of founding of Rome moment when Ben Rumson and others steal a stagecoach of French prostitutes, fixes the problem of representing the history of sexual labor in the overwhelmingly male mining camps of the California gold rush. Teaching the reality of this historical moment in the mining camps can be difficult as it demands from students a fundamental paradigm shift and a disinterested interest in both prostitution as a job and gendered, domestic labor as a lucrative money maker and rare luxury. The film uses the number in a way not unlike what Richard Dyer describes, to dissolve our interest in the not-so-unsavory yet nonetheless unsavory reality of 19th century sexual labor and put us into the shoes of a bunch of sex-starved, westering dudes: utopia can sometimes look like prostitutes. In this scene, the economic stakes of prostitution are shown in competition, and the wild but bridled stallions of unbridled horniness at the head of the cavalcade knock down a perfume vendor who sees the women as new consumers in the fledgling economy of the muddy little mining town.

Of course this isn't the best film. However, it is still a pretty good film.
March 23, 2014
A very good, witty, some what comical musical more. Chopped full of catchy tunes, great voices, phenomenal acting, and a crazy plot that just wraps together in one visual masterpiece. Definitely give it a try.
March 6, 2014
This is THE musical for guys who generally don't care for musicals. Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood are a marvelous pair and the totally ridiculous plot leaves lots of room for real belly laughs. At the same time it takes a hard look at human folly and foible but in a way that will keep a smile on your face. "I Was Born Under a Wandering Star" as sung by Lee Marvin is unforgettable for just how badly he sings and yet has the nerve to do so. Some of the music is simply great and the climax of the movie will have tears of laughter rolling down your face. Too many critics are trying to analyze this movie seriously when it is obvious that there wasn't a serious thought in the minds of anyone that actually had a hand in its production, they just were out for a laugh and wanted to share them.