The Painted Veil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Painted Veil Reviews

July 11, 2016
Loved this film! It's an unlikely event for a broken marriage to be redeemed after an affair, but this film is so darling you will long for them to rekindle their love for one another! Very touching!
July 2, 2016
Just watched it. I rate is as Excellent!
June 27, 2016
This movie follows Edward Norton's, Walter and Naomi Watts's, Kitty to China during a Cholera outbreak.  Amidst the backdrop of suffering, it's painful to watch Walter and Kitty's silent marriage suffer as well.  As punishment for her infidelity (with handsome Liev Schreiber nonetheless) Walter drags Kitty to China where both are able to atone for their sins by helping Chinese people.  The film which allows the viewer to suffer long with Kitty and Walter does have some redeeming values.  Kitty is a dynamic character. (Fucking look it up if you can't remember high school English.)  Also, the cinematography is beautiful.  The film is set in 1925 so the costumes are simple yet beautiful.  I will admit to a tiny tear rolling down my cheek before the final London scene. I didn't feel passionate about it either way so again I will leave this up to you.
June 8, 2016
second time I saw it still mesmerized me.... great flick
½ May 13, 2016
5/7/16 So, we had seen this before, but Erika didn't remember it. It's not a bad character study, but it is a bit slow. Really pretty average overall, and more of a woman's movie.
March 30, 2016
Pitch perfect acting makes this bittersweet period piece work. When the popular girl is somehow thrown together with a brainy doctor, you wonder if it will ever work or will the deadly cholera epidemic hasten the plot.
March 20, 2016
Well acted, great movie
½ March 8, 2016
86%
Watched this on 7/2/16
Terrific cinematography, touching music especially in the end and measured performances from Norton and Watts help the movie break the bondage of predictability and cliched feel good drama.
½ March 5, 2016
2016-03-05 it was Shanghai, not Hong Kong!
February 4, 2016
beautiful movie, nostalgically giving a feeling of deja vu and especially with the gnosienne 1 playing in the background what a haunting experience. wonderfully adapted gnosienne 1
January 19, 2016
A movie that was under appreciated by many critics when it was released, it is certainly one of the best Anglo-European love stories in a colonial setting -- far better than the well-received "Out of Africa."
½ December 11, 2015
What a WASTE.....!!!! :((((
December 6, 2015
Action in reaction- save the pyrotechnics and enjoy the arc of emotion instead.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
The Painted Veil has the ingredients of a great film, including cinematography (alternatively lush and parched) and high-caliber actors. I admired the potraiture of people as people -- complex, determined, adaptable. I would recommend it for a view on these counts alone. The film is lacking in a few respects. The plot does not drive the film but complicates it. The politics involved with the military, villagers, warlords, etc. are distracting and prevent the emotional tensions between the two main characters from playing out in the foreground. The lack of a memorable scoring contributes to the overall lack of emotional punch to the movie. Still, it is an interesting story and is visually gorgeous, so the Painted Veil is, nonetheless, worth a look.
July 21, 2015
I would've wanted for more. The development of the characters were magnificent.
July 12, 2015
Not my cup of Oolong. This film has all the trappings of something I'd typically enjoy: the 1920s, imperial China and a powerful story of love and redemption. The sum of these pieces fell flat, however, between the shaky performances and formulaic melodrama. What should have been a sweeping epic the likes of Out of Africa was reduced to a series of montages as predictable as a line of dominoes. Without any useful exposition I was left bemused from the moment an esteemed doctor fell head over heels for a society girl, only to be disappointed when he realised she only liked parlour games and small talk. Later attempts to breathe life into these two dimensional characters rendered them reminiscent of a school craft show diorama; pieces of stacked card and bits of exposed string. Either the screenwriter is guilty of crimes of omission or there's a pile of celluloid on a cutting room floor that would have given this sickly film a fresh drip of saline.
½ July 6, 2015
Hyvä leffa, jota on tullutkin katsottua jo useampaan otteeseen... ;) (Suom. Kirjava huntu)
½ June 22, 2015
I understood better the second time I watched this. Watts and Norton's performances are stunning.
May 10, 2015
Handsomely crafted, with good performances this movie is a gem for romatic drama lovers . characters are complex , environment is beautiful and the music is just amazing ( Alexander Desplat won Golden globe for it ) . the few problems i have with the movie is that it plays a little monotone and the Kitty's character falling in love after all what happend felt a little too easy too simple . characters defenetly had potential to show more depth . Love how they handled the love story in the movie , in the begining Walter falls in love with Kitty but it does not work since she is not in love with him and ends up with affair on the side . during the movie they get to know each other with all their problems , weaknesses and nature and the feelings start to come . the movie shows that you can't truly love someone you dont know . one of my favorite scenes in the movie was when Walter was watching Kitty playing piano and falling in love with her but this time he knows what he loves her for . The Story is happening during a cholera epidemia which makes it story more interesting to watch and gives good side plot to the movie . overall the story is predictable but the result is more than satisfying .
½ March 14, 2015
A movie that transported me to another place and time and allowed me to experience the world through the eyes of the characters. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.