The Painted Veil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Painted Veil Reviews

June 8, 2016
second time I saw it still mesmerized me.... great flick
½ May 13, 2016
5/7/16 So, we had seen this before, but Erika didn't remember it. It's not a bad character study, but it is a bit slow. Really pretty average overall, and more of a woman's movie.
March 30, 2016
Pitch perfect acting makes this bittersweet period piece work. When the popular girl is somehow thrown together with a brainy doctor, you wonder if it will ever work or will the deadly cholera epidemic hasten the plot.
March 20, 2016
Well acted, great movie
½ March 8, 2016
86%
Watched this on 7/2/16
Terrific cinematography, touching music especially in the end and measured performances from Norton and Watts help the movie break the bondage of predictability and cliched feel good drama.
½ March 5, 2016
2016-03-05 it was Shanghai, not Hong Kong!
February 4, 2016
beautiful movie, nostalgically giving a feeling of deja vu and especially with the gnosienne 1 playing in the background what a haunting experience. wonderfully adapted gnosienne 1
January 19, 2016
A movie that was under appreciated by many critics when it was released, it is certainly one of the best Anglo-European love stories in a colonial setting -- far better than the well-received "Out of Africa."
½ December 11, 2015
What a WASTE.....!!!! :((((
December 6, 2015
Action in reaction- save the pyrotechnics and enjoy the arc of emotion instead.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
The Painted Veil has the ingredients of a great film, including cinematography (alternatively lush and parched) and high-caliber actors. I admired the potraiture of people as people -- complex, determined, adaptable. I would recommend it for a view on these counts alone. The film is lacking in a few respects. The plot does not drive the film but complicates it. The politics involved with the military, villagers, warlords, etc. are distracting and prevent the emotional tensions between the two main characters from playing out in the foreground. The lack of a memorable scoring contributes to the overall lack of emotional punch to the movie. Still, it is an interesting story and is visually gorgeous, so the Painted Veil is, nonetheless, worth a look.
July 21, 2015
I would've wanted for more. The development of the characters were magnificent.
July 12, 2015
Not my cup of Oolong. This film has all the trappings of something I'd typically enjoy: the 1920s, imperial China and a powerful story of love and redemption. The sum of these pieces fell flat, however, between the shaky performances and formulaic melodrama. What should have been a sweeping epic the likes of Out of Africa was reduced to a series of montages as predictable as a line of dominoes. Without any useful exposition I was left bemused from the moment an esteemed doctor fell head over heels for a society girl, only to be disappointed when he realised she only liked parlour games and small talk. Later attempts to breathe life into these two dimensional characters rendered them reminiscent of a school craft show diorama; pieces of stacked card and bits of exposed string. Either the screenwriter is guilty of crimes of omission or there's a pile of celluloid on a cutting room floor that would have given this sickly film a fresh drip of saline.
½ July 6, 2015
Hyvä leffa, jota on tullutkin katsottua jo useampaan otteeseen... ;) (Suom. Kirjava huntu)
½ June 22, 2015
I understood better the second time I watched this. Watts and Norton's performances are stunning.
May 10, 2015
Handsomely crafted, with good performances this movie is a gem for romatic drama lovers . characters are complex , environment is beautiful and the music is just amazing ( Alexander Desplat won Golden globe for it ) . the few problems i have with the movie is that it plays a little monotone and the Kitty's character falling in love after all what happend felt a little too easy too simple . characters defenetly had potential to show more depth . Love how they handled the love story in the movie , in the begining Walter falls in love with Kitty but it does not work since she is not in love with him and ends up with affair on the side . during the movie they get to know each other with all their problems , weaknesses and nature and the feelings start to come . the movie shows that you can't truly love someone you dont know . one of my favorite scenes in the movie was when Walter was watching Kitty playing piano and falling in love with her but this time he knows what he loves her for . The Story is happening during a cholera epidemia which makes it story more interesting to watch and gives good side plot to the movie . overall the story is predictable but the result is more than satisfying .
½ March 14, 2015
A movie that transported me to another place and time and allowed me to experience the world through the eyes of the characters. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.
March 9, 2015
A beautiful setting, score, and acting made this traditional story very much worth the time.
½ February 11, 2015
Co-produced and co-starring Naomi Watts and Edward Norton, W. Somerset Maugham's novel comes to life in living color. Beautiful cinematography and symphonic music embellish a wonderful, heart-warming story of love and forgiveness.

Kitty (Watts) is getting older. Living in 1920's London, her parents have more to say with impunity about her suitors. Quick to pursue her, Walter Fane (Norton) pushes himself for courtship against her wishes, but the timing leaves her no choice but wedlock. Interrupted in their social life, they become a foursome with Charlie Townsend (Liev Schreiber) and his wife. Charlie, a virile alternative to her drab, doctor husband, tempts her into adultery. In such an arrangement, women didn't have the freedoms they do now. So when Walter is assigned to treat a cholera epidemic in Shanghai, he's privy to her affair and can blackmail her to come along or face the scorn of divorce. Since her lover is a playboy who abhors attachment anyway, she again has no choice.

Life in China at first offers nothing more than disease and disenchantment. Bored with her life and keeping in seclusion to avoid cholera, her husband spreads nothing but flinty resentment toward her unfaithful presence. Besides a stunning landscape, she discovers a convent where a wise, old mother superior charms her heart and inspires her to do at first repellant work with the orphans. Besides the dangers of disease, the locals are slow to warm up to any foreigner's presence, even one that may offer a solution to their health crisis.

More moving than its beautiful cinematography, Norton's and Watt's splendid performances work well with a captivating story of lust and love, betrayal and forgiveness, and selfishness turned to self-giving. While some viewers may find some of the old-fashioned elements of the film languorous in places, I feel the picture clocks in just right for the state of affairs. Superbly crafted, 'Painted Veil' is complete with a heart-melting beauty for the soul as well as for the eyes.
February 10, 2015
I love this movie! I remember watching it in the theater when it came out and I'm sobbing at the end of the movie looool ... I turn to him I say "I want to be loved like that" ... he answers "Why do you women take this till death due us part literally ..." looool need less to say that my phone and all communication to me of course were shut for a whole week.. till I got "yes.. I'll die for you" I knew it wasn't really meant ... but us women we take it as a metaphor and we need to hear such nonsense. loool Yes we are Crazy! its our thing lol ;)