Pali Road Reviews

• Jun 14, 2017

In my mind the movie left the question open is Neil: 1) a memory of Lily's past boyfriend, 2) the ghost of Lily's past boyfriend, 3) a being/spirit in another world that is able to connect with Lily in her dreams, or 4) a psychotic delusion? If 1 or 2, then there would be physical evidence, but there was no information from a Google search, no photos and no friends or family members remembered him, only weak physical evidence. If 3, then she has a special power to make contact with Neil via her dream-state. When they made contact the encounter usually started out happy (he is funny, happy and romantic with a bright smile). She should have been at peace seeing him and one would expect the storyline to evolve; instead, they are often in a loop of confusion ending violently. If 4, then that would explain why she often ran off crazy-like following her latest Neil-dream looking for Neil or for evidence to prove of Neil's existence. And the ring that is there or not there could be just a random piece of junk picked up on the beach along with the hoola girl statuette around which Lily has built elaborate imaginary love stories. Her friend, Amy, did mention that Lily had a major concussion (a real car wreck). We do know she is pregnant and that is accompanied by significant hormonal changes. Even if she was delusional, it was clear deep inside she wanted to be with a kind-hearted, fun-loving, funny, romantic guy, who happened to be the polar opposite of her quiet, tough, cerebral, alpha-male, husband Mitch. In her alternate reality Mitch is a jerk but in real life he often showed a concerned caring side, a good dad, husband and son-in-law. She grew up with tough, driven, reserved, traditional parents; exemplified by an obvious stiff relationship with her tiger-mom. I think she craved a completely different sensitive and exuberant life, one with emotional support and spontaneity instead of double shifts at the hospital. I think brain damage from a concussion, emotional changes from being pregnant, and being stressed from being overworked since med school to now at the hospital flipped her crazy switch to the 'ON' position. I vote psychotic delusions as her way out of an unhappy, overworked and empty life. Oops, who is the father?

• May 02, 2016

This is a refreshing love story for all the romantics at heart. The movie unfolds in breathtakingly beautiful Hawaii. As I watched the main character Lily trying to piece her life and memory together, I couldn't help but also asking myself what is the meaning of love and marriage. With suspense, mystery and headache, the film takes you through an emotional roller coast ride. Highly recommended!

• May 02, 2016

If you are tired of the Hollywood blockbusters, this movie will be a perfect one for you! It has a little bit of everything: mystery, suspense, romance and an ending that will leave you scratching your head. Story is believable and very well put together, directing is superb and there are some scenes in the movie that take breath away. Actors were relatively unknown to me but they did an amazing job portraying their characters. Michelle Chen was especially convincing in her role of Lily, but not only she is a great actress but very hot too XD I warmly recommend this cute and unique romance to everyone with a heart. I give it an 8 star rating!

• May 02, 2016

This is a romantic drama that will keep you guessing until the end. Michelle Chen plays a successful doctor dating an elementary school teacher Neil (Jackson Rathbone). Chen wakes up from a car accident married to her boss (Sung Kang) and no one in her life remembers Neil. All of the actors do a good job. Henry Ian Cusick as a therapist that tries to convince Chen that her life with Neil is not real is especially good. The director does an excellent job of building suspense throughout and the cinematography is top notch.

• May 01, 2016

I am not sure what I liked most about Pali Road- the landscape or the cast and story. It definitely made me want to plan a trip to Hawaii and soon. The way it was shot- you could almost smell the ocean. The story has a bit of a feel similar to Vanilla Sky, Memento, or Mulholland Drive but I would only say a bit of feel towards those movies because (like all those movies) Pali Road is unique. It keeps your attention and keeps you constantly guessing. Now, I am a huge fan of romance and thrills and this movie has a lot of that- so much so- I am still thinking about it even now. So if I could sum up Pali Road with out giving away any spoilers I was say- romantically haunting.

• Apr 30, 2016

Story seemed interesting, cinematography and editing were also pretty good, but I really did not enjoy the second half of the film. During the second half, the story falls apart and also ends on abruptly.

• Apr 27, 2016

I watched Pali Road in a cinema with a friend, and we both liked it very much. The movie is different than most of the romance-thrillers, because there are no clichés like you would find in every other romance, and its story is unconventional. The script is brilliant, and even though I know romances are rarely blockbusters, I truly hope it will get more audience in cinemas. The girl who plays Lily is sooo cute and talented, I will definitely be watching more of her work in the future. The director also did a great job, there were many beautiful scenes in the movie and which kept my attention to the very end. Overall, it was a pleasant experience, and I recommend it to anyone!

• Apr 26, 2016

I loved that this was not just a typical romance shot on the beautiful coasts of Hawaii, but a very unique and original movie. I really hope it will get to more audience, because it has all: suspension, mystery, romance, twists, GREAT ending!!! I liked the characters, they were convincing and their acting looked natural. Michelle Chen rocks, completely unknown to me, she is both gorgeous and extremely talented actress. I would love to see more of her work. The Director also did an outstanding job, some of the scenes are breathtaking, and the story is developed smoothly, making a viewer wonder what is the truth. I recommend Pali Road to everybody!

• Apr 26, 2016

The trailer looked intriguing and promising so I decided to give this movie a chance at the Spring festival in my city. I noticed Jaksone Ratbone, from the Twilight saga, and I liked this movie even more after that, because I am a huge fan of the Twilight. He delivered a powerful performance, acting the young doctor, Lilly's boyfriend. BUT Michelle Chen, really stole the show here. Her performance is excellent, both believable and very emotinal. I don't wanna write too many spoilers, so I will just say that this movie is a beautiful mistery-romance, that will keep suspense from its start to the end. And at the end it will make you think and re-think... and possibly love the movie even more!

• Apr 23, 2016

Beside Hollywood production I love watching Korean and Japanese movies, but I am not really familiar with the Chinese cinematography. Jonathan Hua Lang Lim, who was completely unknown to me before, did a great job with this movie. There is some amazing background scenery, that is combined with a top-notch direction, so I will surely be paying attention to this director's future work. Acting is good and the story is very well put together. I didn't find any plot holes in the script, everything made sense and I loved the ending. I highly recommend the movie to all the romance lovers, even though it has some elements of thriller so I am sure the audience of many different genres will like it.