Pan Tadeusz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pan Tadeusz Reviews

May 25, 2011
I'm not a big fan of Wajda. He had a problem with mostly book adaptations. In general this movie is good, because the book is great itself.
½ February 19, 2011
Wajda's beautiful rendition of Mickiewicz's epic poem. I don't know how much a non-Polish audience will get from this. The 19th century literary Polish is tough, and I can't imagine trying to keep up with the story via subtitles. I'm a sucker for Wajda and Olbrychski, and the beauty of the film alone is worth a view. It helps if you have a native Pole nearby ( I did). You don't graduate from high school in Poland unless you know this story front and back, and are able to quote sections from it on your exit exams. A note: Alicja Bachleda-Curus makes her debut (I think). I recently saw her in Ondine, which I very much enjoyed.
September 23, 2009
What! No-one's seen this big screen version of everyone's favourite polish/lithuanian (delete as appropriate) writer's epic poem!
½ January 11, 2009
Gorgeous, altough I might be biased here,as I have always loved the book. This is a theatre style production though and a very good adaptation of Mickiewicz's epic novel. Nonetheless, unlike some of Wajda's former productions, this is is a very 'lightweight' film. But it's still useful to know the historical background to be able to appreciate it. An those wonderful shots - it reminds you that Wajda has first trained as an artist painter. The cast, on the ther hand, is so equisite, that I find it a bit distracting. A sky full of Polish film and theatre stars.
½ September 3, 2008
if you want to fall asleep fast - try to watch it