Pandaemonium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pandaemonium Reviews

½ October 6, 2016
If you like classic poetry then it should appeal, but it's more art-house than storyline.
September 27, 2016
I thought it was a good movie. With good performances.
March 1, 2012
Well-intentioned and at the same time sadly indulgent as history is modified to suit the MTV generation.
January 11, 2011
A fanciful and atmospheric fantasy based loosely on the lives of Coleridge and Wordsworth - there's more than a hint of Schafer's Amadeus in this tale of tortured artists and jealousy. Great cast, beautifully shot and poetry of a kind both new and old as the script dovetails effortlessly with some of England's greatest romantic verse.
½ January 28, 2010
I especially enjoyed Lord Byron mocking Wordsworth
March 24, 2009
What a train wreck. One star for the poetry, and one star for the decent performances by the two female leads (Emily Woof and Samantha Morton).
October 7, 2008
as far as i know the only wordsworth and coleridge movie, which is a crime. the movie is wonderfully acted and absurdly anachronistic. live it. love it. come for the laudanum, stay for the coleridge dance remix.
February 27, 2008
Den här filmen finns lugnt med på min topp fem-lista. Scenen då Coleridge kommer ur Kubla Khans grotta är oförglömlig.
February 21, 2008
Two Words "Kubla Khan". Temple enlivens one of the most important poems of western culture. Full of grace and romantic charm, this tribute to Coleridge does him much justice. Not historically accurate but delightful and enchanting non the less.
January 31, 2008
My favorite poet, I didn't know this was around.
January 12, 2008
Contrary to what many think this is not a film about two poets: it is an impressionistic biography of the poem "Kubla Khan", and of a whole new development in poetry and artistic expression. The impact of "Kubla Khan" still resonates today. As someone who has studied the history of English literature I was thrilled with this film. Impressionistic - as it should be - and visually breathtaking. Kudos to Julian Temple.
January 2, 2008
Another film that's not terribly accurate but does represent the fervor of the 18th century poets, the rock stars of their time. And I love Linus Roache.
½ December 8, 2007
Not terribly accurate, but thoroughly entertaining.
November 15, 2007
It's like *Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,* only Dr. Gonzo works for the MAN and, in his pathetic jealous rage, totally screws over Hunter S. Thompson. Also, there's poetry. And sometimes a contrail.

Or, maybe it's like *2001: A Space Odyssey,* only HAL thinks it's Wordsworth. Or is it the other way around?

Honestly, a Romanticist colleague made me watch this. I found it humorous, tho probably not in the way Temple intended.
½ October 10, 2007
Not much for historical accuracy, but really lovely visually. Plus, Linus Roache is just awesome. He walked through radioactive mud for this movie.
½ October 9, 2007
Something unexpected...kind of felt like I was watching Plunkett and McClean
½ September 27, 2007
intriguing portrait of the complicated relationship between samuel taylor "kubla kahn" coleridge and william "daffodils" wordsworth. some interesting visual interpretations of the poetry.
September 9, 2007
This must be one of the best movies I have ever seen! It is quite frankly a visual masterwork. There are many really good movies out there, but this one of those that left me with an almost religious feeling. It is the story of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's (excellently played by Linus Roache) longtime friendship and collaboration with William Wordsworth (equally well played by John Hannah), and the narrative is focused through Coleridge's opium addicted (and wasted) mind and most of it actually told through a fantastic flashback.
The opium addiction opens visual options of prophecy and vision (related to the poetry of the Romantics, of course) for director Julien Temple and he makes the most of it. From the opening sequence ? showing yellow drops of laudanum falling into a glass with clear water (first seen from the side and then from below), combined with a whooshing sound as the yellow liquid hits the clear water and Roache's voice reading lines of Coleridge's poetry ? through knocked over wine glasses falling in slow motion while Coleridge tries to speak with his friend of his being set loose from time and to the dark heart of the story and the mystery of the poetic fragment "Kubla Khan", I remain in total awe of this movie. Add good performances all over to this; especially worth mentioning are Samantha Morton as Sara Coleridge and Emily Woof as Dorothy Wordsworth. If you are interested in the Romantic poets, you should see this. If you like movies who makes the most of the medium YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!
July 23, 2007
Idealism foiled by drug addiction. Good show.
July 5, 2007
Absolutely wonderful. I am in love w/ Linus Roache.